1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of trying Winchester Super Target under a 200 grain LSWC. I'm looking to make about 750 fps. Anyone have any experience with this combo? Charge weight? Accuracy? Cleanliness?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have used WST in the past but always seem to go back to 231. WST burns clean and is very accurate in my 38 sp but did not find it as versatile as as bullseye or 231. I'll try to find the load I was useing I think they were 185 LSWC and 200LSWC powder puffs.I will review my load records...ROFI

·
Registered
645 Posts
WST is my favorite 45 ACP Powder. It smells good, like pepper when you shoot it. That's better than a rotten egg smell any day.

I use 4.9 grains WST to make a 166 power factor, major power for IDPA and IPSC. A charge of around 4.2 grains gives a velocity of about 750 fps with a 200 grain cast bullet. WST is an accurrate and clean burning powder in the 45 ACP.

[This message has been edited by banjobart (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Right now I've been using some old Hercules manufactured Red Dot and it's horribly dirty. Unburned powder everywhere, and the stuff that does burn leaves some thick carbon. I'd read about Clays being very clean, but wanted to try something that might meter a bit more consistently. Guess it's time to buy a pound and experiment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I started using Red Dot back in 1972 for shotgun loading, so when I started loading for my 1911 thats what a used. 5.0gr. of Red Dot and a 200gr.LSWC. The NEW Red Dot powder
is said to be alot cleaner. I now use 4.9gr. of WST for the 200gr. bullet and find it to be very accurate and somewhat clean. It is very consistent in speed at all temps.The muzzle flash is a little more than Red Dot or Clays. Clays BTW is my new test load and find it very clean, acc. and meters well butdoes not meter as good as WST. The test of time will tell me which powder i'll end up with..
Good luck, be SAFE..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts