1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for kicks, I clicked on the Springfield Forum, and all I saw was complaints of their 1911's not working properly, going in for lousy service, and service that takes 4-6 weeks. Damn, I'm glad my dealer showed me the XSE instead of letting me order the Springfield I wanted!

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
Springfields have always seemed to be the same since they first started making them- basically, guns with excellent potential once you put the time and effort into fine-tuning them. Problem is, 10 years ago you could buy a basic GI-spec 1911-A1 for $300 that just needed a little fine-tuning, but now you have to cough up $800 for a Loaded 1911-A1 that STILL needs some fine-tuning!

In other words, you still get the same gun these days, but you have to pay more for it because of all the new garbage you didn't want that has to be thrown away!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 08-17-2001).]

G

·
So true...to get my Springfield up to par it needs
1:fixed grip bushing
2:grind off Speed bump
roperly sighted in sights
4:dehorning (really bad)

Hmmm...should have bought a regular Colt or something with maybe new sights (probably don't even need these if they come with dots and don't shoot low!)

Boy did I learn a lot with this purchase

·
Registered
98 Posts
First of all, let me start by saying I own more Colt 1911's than any other gun. But...I just purchased a SA Commander LW that I really like. It has been and continues to be flawless right out of the box. So there is at least one Colt fanatic who also likes his SA.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I had a SA Omega 6" 10mm for years- it ran like a top, won a few pin matches for me, and always drew attention. I wish I had not sold it. Still, I have always passed on their more recent offerings.

------------------

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I sort of missed my SA 'loaded' 1911 when I swapped it (and a bushel basket full of cash) for my Kimber CDP. That gun was razor sharp and ugly but it never missed a beat. It had potential and I'm still sort of sorry I traded it off. A local kitchen-table 'smith worked on it and resold it as a slicked up carry gun. Somebody really got a deal. I got a Kimber.

Who got screwed? Probably me....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Colt? HA!
If I wanted plastic in my gun, I'd of bought a Glock!
Springfield Armory has always done me right. Have you tried to get anything done at the Colt custom shop lately? Colts are Crap.
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you want a springfield get a mil spec. If you want a loaded model. Get a les baer or wilson. I have had bad luck with the springfield loaded, Kimber, Colt etc. I have went back to the mil spec that way I dont waste time on a modified gun and can start from a base gun. my .02

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
SA=The gun the way JMB intended.

Colt=The gun the way North Eastern lawyers intended.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, looks like I have angered the SA crowd! All I did was report on what I READ on the SA page. I did not make any accuzations about SA 1911's being crap, plastic fantastics, or any other opinions. Just what I read. And look how the SA owners started flaming Colts.My my, aren't we being defensive! Hey, I actually went to buy a SA last week, but found a deal on a Colt I could'nt turn down. Did'nt say I won't own one, just glad my first experience was with a reliable, out of the box gun.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Originally posted by rkpagano:
If you want a springfield get a mil spec. If you want a loaded model. Get a les baer or wilson. I have had bad luck with the springfield loaded, Kimber, Colt etc. I have went back to the mil spec that way I dont waste time on a modified gun and can start from a base gun. my .02
OTOH, I have had very good luck with the "factory custom" Kimbers and Colts, so don't think your experience is universal.

------------------
A man with a watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches isn't so sure

·
Registered
474 Posts
Okay folks, drop the torches and step away from the keyboard. Truth be known both Colt and Springfield produce some fine firearms and some that aren't so good. You can read about examples of each on either forum. As someone on another forum said: "You are far more likely to hear about the bad ones than the good ones".

------------------

·
Registered
216 Posts
Perhaps it's WHEN you bought. I bought a SA "Custom Carry" from the custom shop before the first bankrupty. It is a masterpiece!! I will leave it to an heir. Beautiful....runs great...a work of art. I have three Colts which are pre 80s and earlier.... Love them too.

Both companies have built art in their day.

Let's hope both do again.

PigPen

·
Registered
869 Posts
Own a couple and they are fine weapons. My full size is my most accurate gun(the one I shoot best with). As far as service, I wouldn't know. I've never had to send one back!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Colt has a Custom Shop? In my experience, it would be easier to find an HCI member at The SOF Convention.
Colt can't even build a gun when they want to, witness the SOCOM and FBI contract losses. We should all be thankful they took on the "Smart Gun" project.
They did build some great guns, particularly in the 50s, but they clearly can't compete with Kimber or Springfield. Their execs have publicly admitted this.
I'll always love my Colts, but the steps they've taken have lamentably been the wrong ones.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Originally posted by FirearmsPlus.FL:
They build a Colt 1905? :)
I think the refrence is to JMB's design of the 1911

[This message has been edited by clark.45 (edited 09-07-2001).]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts