1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....on seating copper plated bullets.

i'm reloading a batch of .45 with ranier ball. plated bullets. when seating the bullets it seems that i am "wrinkling" the plating with the leading edge of the case. is this something to be concerned with? am i doing something wrong? too much bullet crimp? i tried applying some case lube to the interior edge of the case to no avail.

i'm using rcbs carbide dies. crimp is .468-9" seating depth (irrelevant i think)
1.25"

any help is appreciated

shoot straight and stay safe
ryan

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
W/o any more info, I'd say you don't have enough case mouth "belled" for the bullet to fit in the mouth opening and be seated before the case is crimped into the bullet. Tracy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Add a little bit more flare to the case mouth. Depending on your expansion die, this might just mean another 1/4 - 1/2 turn.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Add a little bit more flare to the case mouth. Depending on your expansion die, this might just mean another 1/4 - 1/2 turn.
Ditto on this. A little more bell on the case mouth. Give it a good 1/2 to 3/4 turn to the right. Should fix it. I reload a lot of plated bullets. I have found Rainer to have VERY soft plating. I like Berry's a little better.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks i'll try that. i was going by the instructions that accompanied the die set and the way it describes flaring the cartridge it didn't seem to me that you wanted to do much more than open up the case mouth just enough to accept the bullet. right now there is only about 3/32"-1/8" of the case that has been flared.

i knew someone was going to make a joke on the tip thing:p

thanks again
ryan

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
+3 on the belling. If you are using a Dillon 550, an improperly belled case can lead to other problems. In my meager experience, it prevents the powder bar from fully extending to give a complete, consistant charge.

FYI...I don't give anyone the tip, they get the whole thing!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've had the same problem. I use rainier bullets almost exclusively. Bell the case mouth as much as you can, but make sure it still slips/starts in the seating die without catching. Here's another hint I discovered by accident. All my dies are RCBS as well, and I was even having trouble loading 10 mm with RANIER bullets, I had to be real careful with the case belling or the billet jacket would tear.

Well time passes and I buy my wife a S&W M&P .40. Of course, I want to reload
for the caliber. So I think do I want to mess with my 10 mm set, Nah it's working good, so I won't mess with it. So I say I'll try a set of LEE carbide pistol dies in .40, what the hell, $21. from Midway. Was I SUPRISED!!! I can throw the bullets on the casings crooked and they seat PERFECTLY, no problem!!!! So I said let me try the dies on 10mm same deal, PERFECT, no hassles. Being a tool and die maker in my younger years, I set out to find the difference in the dies. Why one works easily, and one hard. It came down to this, the belling step! RCBS uses a short tapered belling plug in their die secured by a 3/16" threaded shaft through the top. If pressed hard, it can bend OFF center, making the cases bell to one side. The Lee Die has a floating plug in the die to bell cases, it fits fairly precisely in the die and slides up and down until it contacts the adjusting screw. It also has a fitted straight lead to center the cartridge case before it contacts the angled section and bells. This insures that each case is belled concentrically. Believe me, they work PERFECTLY!!!

I just got a new LEE 1000 press, once I make my new bench I'll try 45 cal with LEE dies, I'll be it will work perfect with Ranier bullets. So, try a set of Lee dies for $20., I love them! My RCBS pistol dies might be hitting the trail on E-bay!!!!

John

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cbxjohn, i could've sworn a couple of times that it looked like the cases weren't being belled square. i woluld pull a case off the press and look at it in the light and swear it was off a little. maybe i was right, i just chalked it up to my one eye level, one eye plumb, both eyes straight line wasn't working properly.:biglaugh: maybe lee dies are the ticket, i dunno. testing this batch tomorrow so we'll see how it goes

thanks all
ryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts