1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to go with something a bit lighter for carry so I’m leaning toward a government size Vigil in 9mm (as opposed to my Long Beach Operator) anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
786 Posts
We have 3 Vigil pistols one of which is a full size 9mm. It has been a stellar performer. Was acquired originally with the intention of using it for IDPA but since we normally shoot CCOs we haven't had it out to a match yet but have run about 1200 rounds thru it here on our range with both the Factory and Wilson mags. We think the DW Vigil series pistols are a very good bargain in todays crowded 1911 market place; fit, finish and cosmetics (both functional and visual) are excellent for the price. The alloy framed full size gun is easier on the back also if carried daily.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The search function is your friend.

Bob
These answers have to be just about the most unhelpful out there. They contribute nothing and assume much. After doing a search there really wasn’t much. In addition in the time since the last, new experiences and data points may now exist. Of course if we only discussed things that had never been discussed before there would be virtually no posts and a very dead forum.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have 3 Vigil pistols one of which is a full size 9mm. It has been a stellar performer. Was acquired originally with the intention of using it for IDPA but since we normally shoot CCOs we haven't had it out to a match yet but have run about 1200 rounds thru it here on our range with both the Factory and Wilson mags. We think the DW Vigil series pistols are a very good bargain in todays crowded 1911 market place; fit, finish and cosmetics (both functional and visual) are excellent for the price. The alloy framed full size gun is easier on the back also if carried daily.
Thanks much. Very reassuring about the back issues. How would you compare 9mm out of a 5 inch aluminum gun to .45 out of a 5 inch steel gun?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have a Valkyrie Commander and an ECO, both in 9mm. If you're going to be carrying inside the waist band, why not look at a commander or officer sized 1911? Both of my pistols are very accurate. I don't think I give up anything in accuracy over the government models. In fact, on my ECO, there is zero play of the barrel inside the slide. It is about as tight as it could be and it shows in the accuracy.

With the shorter slide/barrel, you get some decreased weight. If you're worried about number of rounds, you can always buy some Wilson ETM mags to add an extra round.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By nature I just prefer the 5 inch guns but I have been kicking around the commander version in my head. I have very limited experience with commander sized guns and wonder if there is much of a difference in how soft the 4.25in gun shoots compared to the 5in gun?

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
I have one for a suppressor host. For DW's entry level gun it's very good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have Valkyrie Commander 9mm. It is basically a Vigil Commander with a few more cosmetic features. It is extremely soft shooting and a breeze to carry. i would not hesitate to purchase the Vigil in the Commander length.

I run the stock magazines plus Tripp 10 round mags.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have Valkyrie Commander 9mm. It is basically a Vigil Commander with a few more cosmetic features. It is extremely soft shooting and a breeze to carry. i would not hesitate to purchase the Vigil in the Commander length.

I run the stock magazines plus Tripp 10 round mags.
That would be my next question. I’m a big fan of Wilson ETM mags for all my other 1911’s. Have you compared those to the Trip 9mm mags?

·
Registered
786 Posts
The 9mm in an alloy framed gun is a *****- cat in the recoil dept. compared to a .45 (Major) in a steel framed gun. Just my opinion; an old guy who has shot "a few" major .45 loads thru steel framed guns over 40+ years. We started shooting 9mms when our wrists and elbows started going south, probably 12 years ago; the 9mm 1911 has allowed us to keep shooting for a lot more years than we ever thought possible. With modern ammo, we have high confidence in the 9mm as a carry caliber if one shoots carefully as you should, regardless of caliber.

We hope you enjoy your 9mm; they are a game changer for those of us who have high mileage bodies.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 9mm in an alloy framed gun is a *****- cat in the recoil dept. compared to a .45 (Major) in a steel framed gun. Just my opinion; an old guy who has shot "a few" major .45 loads thru steel framed guns over 40+ years. We started shooting 9mms when our wrists and elbows started going south, probably 12 years ago; the 9mm 1911 has allowed us to keep shooting for a lot more years than we ever thought possible. With modern ammo, we have high confidence in the 9mm as a carry caliber if one shoots carefully as you should, regardless of caliber.

We hope you enjoy your 9mm; they are a game changer for those of us who have high mileage bodies.
Thanks much for the information, it’s making this decision much easier. Now I’m just stuck between Vigil Commander or Government...it’ll be 9mm either way.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have the full size Vigil, but in 45ACP. I absolutely love it. I can understand if you are dead set on the Vigil line but, if not check out a Guardian. I have one of those also to use as a carry gun. The 3/4 in difference does make just a small amount of getting used to but is easy enough. Guardian is in 9mm and a pure joy to shoot.

·
Registered
786 Posts
May we humbly suggest you check out a Vigil CCO if you plan on carrying the gun a lot. The butt of the gun is the hardest part to conceal. If a CCO fits your hand, they are just as easy to shoot as a full size Commander and you still have the Commander's sight radius.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jedi,

I have used Wilson mags for .45 Auto with success but have not tried them in 9 mm. I vaguely remember choosing Tripps over Wilsons for my Valkyrie based on member suggestions on this forum but can't be sure.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

b-b

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have a Vigil full-size 9 that was my first Dan Wesson. It’s been great then I picked up an ECP in 9 and it carries smaller than a commander size. And is very accurate and easy to shoot.
Just an option also.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have both a Vigil and Valkyrie, both 9mm commanders. They are both very soft shooting. I highly recommend the Vigil, the Valkyrie also, just hard finding a Valkyrie 9 commander now though. Good luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A steel frame 1911 doesn't work for all day hip carry for me anymore as the years add up. I'm most often carrying a Guardian or CCO and find that the 12 or so ounces less weight makes a big difference. I'd like to find a 9mm Vigil CCO or a 9mm Guardian but can't find either.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Agree with the weight comment! 12oz. doesn't seem like much until you tote it around all day. A 9mm CCO (assorted flavors) is our daily carry gun; doesn't get much better in convenience and shootability.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts