1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a reply from Richard Heinie telling me that the pro slant straight eight sights would cost me $290.60 because the Springfield Mil-Spec (not WWII) required machining.
Well because of the price those are out.
I really like the setup of the straight eights.
What other sights are similar to them?

If none are similar then answer this question for me - What sights are good for fast aquisition and shooting out to 20 yards?

Am I dreaming by thinking I can get good sights (don't have to be night sights) for about $150 installed?

BTW - this will be my first 1911. I will make the final payment (layaway) in February.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Couldn't you just move up to a "Loaded" version? For the addtional cost of milling/installing new sights, you could have the whole enchilada.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Yes I like them. In your case you are paying for more than just the sights. He has to machine cut the slide, refinish, and install the sights. When I had mine installed the cost was $140 less because all he had to do was knock the old ones out and install the new ones.

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
You can also have your local gunsmith install the sights, just make sure he's competent, check out references. Like John F. said, it should cost around $150.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am on a tight budget and I can't just upgrade to a loaded.
Maybe I can purchase the sights and save up to have a local smith do the work.
More opinions please...

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
You said you really like the Straight 8 set up. Unfortunately it is the only one available like that. Novak has a bar-dot arrangement which is popular as well, horizontal bar rear and dot front.
Since you also said your budget is limited, maybe just order just a front sight post with tritium insert (Trijicon and others make them) and have your local smith install it. Believe me it works just as well. The front and rear night sight set up is good for shooting good scores during low light qualifications or low light matches but not really necessary for a defense gun. Most knowledgeable instructors use only front night sight.
Good luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ashley's should do you.

I'd bet that they have something that doesn't require machining, you could put them in yourself, they are economical, available in various levels of night sight configuration, and ideal for fast target aquisition out to 20 yards (and beyond, in my opinion).

·
Registered
972 Posts
Since you put an outside limit of 20 yards, you might also consider the XS Sight Sistems 24/7 Big Dot express sights. They are very fast to pick up (excelent for social intercourse) and they have a "dot the eye" low light sight picture that is fast and easy to acquire. A gunsmith will have to cut a front dovetail but they offer a rear express (shallow V) that should drift into your existing dovetail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts