1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Colt Combat govt. off the net. It's a series 70 with a 70B prefix. I have a Combat Elite. And as far as I can tell it is the predecessor to the Cambat Elite. It basically looks like a basic 70 series Colt. Can anyone tell me if there is anything really special about the Combat Govt.? In the Blue book it called the Combat Govt., "Bluish-black metal finish, features modifications for combat shooting forerunner to the Combat Elite." Leaves a lot to be desired in an explanation. What exactly are these "Modifications for combat shooting" that is more than a standard 70. Thank You for any input, and a Merry Chr...oooops, better be politically correct...Happy Holidays!!:dope:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Congratulations! You've got a classic Colt series 70. Hang on to it.
Nothing special about it, except it's probably of a far higher quality than
Colt puts out today. I think they had better sights than the regular
series 70 and maybe a better trigger? Keep it, cause they don't make
them like that anymore.

PS: Times are changing, the correct greeting is Merry Christmas!
Happy Holidays is for geeks, modern metro men, liberals and wimps.

Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have two Combat Governments, a series 70 shooter that was my duty gun for quite a while and a recently acquired unfired series 80 safe queen. They differed from a standard Government Model in that the front strap is verticaly serrated like the Gold Cup. A higher profile rear sight with white outline, a partridge style high profile front sight, the ejection port was powered and relieved, the had a flat mainspring shousing and a long trigger. The feed ramp was also polished and the chamber throated.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It may have the beveled mag well also. I am not sure if they started that on the Combat Governments but I think so.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Was it the one off of auctionarms? If so, it looked like a nice one.

Body Armor Guy nailed it as far as the mods. It did have a beveled mag well.

Let us know how it shoots.

WJR

·
Administrator
73,796 Posts
It was pretty much identical to the later Combat Elite, except for the slide markings, hooked front sight, and of course the fact that it was all blue instead of blue slide and stainless frame. I actually liked the looks of them. Unfortunately from what I read they didn't sell well because they cost appreciably more than a plain vanilla Government Model.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yes, beveled mag well...forgot that one. Just for old times sake I pulled my series 70 CGM out of the safe and it was my carry gun at dinner tonight.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input!

I was hoping it wasn't a plain Govt. model with a special run stamping on it. Yes WJR, it was the one on AA. I'll keep you in mind sir. But from the sounds of these replies, I suppose it will be while I'm at the range shooting this old girl. Not really a collector of sorts...just a shooter set up from the factory for Shootin'. Body Armor Guy summed it up best. I will compliment your gesture by carrying it the first day I get her. And many more, I'm sure... Thanks for the input folks!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Neo7241 said:
I was hoping it wasn't a plain Govt. model with a special run stamping on it. Yes WJR, it was the one on AA. I'll keep you in mind sir. But from the sounds of these replies, I suppose it will be while I'm at the range shooting this old girl. Not really a collector of sorts...just a shooter set up from the factory for Shootin'. Body Armor Guy summed it up best. I will compliment your gesture by carrying it the first day I get her. And many more, I'm sure... Thanks for the input folks!!
Thanks, Neo. I am certain you will love it. Post some pics once you receive it and have hit the range.

WJR

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Here is a pic of my CGM's. The top one is my series 70 shooter, refinishing and other work done by Bob Cogan of Accurate Plating & Weaponry when he was still in FL. The bottom is my unfired Series 80.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hope to see her soon...

I belive I will be taking delivery next week. I will be sure to post pics. Happy New Year!!
p.s. Thanks for the pic Body Armor Guy. Mine looks to be the cousin to your one on the bottom. Man, I love Colt's! Take Care All!!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I had recently sent the top one back to Colt, thry rerollmarked and reblued the slide. I am trying to locate a good source to remove the hardchrome from the frame and refinish the frame. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Body Armor Guy said:
I had recently sent the top one back to Colt, thry rerollmarked and reblued the slide. I am trying to locate a good source to remove the hardchrome from the frame and refinish the frame. Anyone have any suggestions?
Tripp Research in Texas does good Hard Chrome work.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have one realy like it. You will find front strap serations under those grips, note also that it has a flared ejection port. I will replace my rear sight with a YoBo which I have, also I did install a pre war big spur hammer. Sort of retro with a few improvements. Really love it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts