1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When praticing reloads, I like to start with the slide locked back on an empty mag and aiming as if I'd just fired my last round. I then perform a reload using snap caps. The problem is that the snap caps seem to be undersized enough to slow the slide down litte if at all and this results in hammer follow (falls to half cock) fairly often. However, this has never happened when using live ammo. Not once in the 700 or so rounds since I finished my work on the gun.

I'll probably tweak the sear spring a bit just for good measure, but this really something to be concerned about since it only happens with snap caps and not live ammo?

BTW, my gun doesn't have a super light pull. It measures just over 4lbs.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Why use snap caps? I never release my slide on any thing but a live round. For
dry firing just cock the hammer and pull the trigger, for fun you can always put a pencil with the eraser end in the barrel and launch it across the room it drives my cat nuts.................. But the best part she brings the pencil back to me.
Chief-7700

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chief7700 said:
Why use snap caps? I never release my slide on any thing but a live round. For
dry firing just cock the hammer and pull the trigger, for fun you can always put a pencil with the eraser end in the barrel and launch it across the room it drives my cat nuts.................. But the best part she brings the pencil back to me.
Chief-7700
I also never use a snap cap for dry firing. However, what I was refering to above was praticing reloads, which requires dropping the slide, IMO. I was using snap caps to slow the slide down, like live rounds do, but apparently the snaps caps are too small to do so.

BTW, good trick with the cat!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
651 Posts
The Cat

Mau is a Burmise kitten. For how much she cost including the round trip plane ticket to Dallas could have bought a Wilson Custom .45 ACP howver she is a love and makes the better half happy. What can I say....
Chief-7700

Attachments

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chief7700 said:
Mau is a Burmise kitten. For how much she cost including the round trip plane ticket to Dallas could have bought a Wilson Custom .45 ACP howver she is a love and makes the better half happy. What can I say....
Chief-7700
Cute cat and of coursse what every keeps peace in the family. ;)

I swear, I miss my cat when I'm away from home (which is most of the year) more than my family. Mostly because she's the only one that doesn't cause trouble!:biglaugh:

Say, wasn't this thread about gunsmithing?:scratch: :dope:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes it is was however we get to play with our toys but who is the real master of the house. Hint we are not! Our SO's and better half's rule the home front and if you don't believe that just get one of them mad. Sleeping on the couch or with the dog just dosen't cut it anymore:dope:
Chief-7700

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
I hate cats.

PS-Your pistol needs attention soon, the fact that it is dropping the hammer from slide lock means that it will eventually do it when you least expect it.

The hammer should NEVER follow the slide down when dropping the slide, not when empty or using a snap cap. Never. If it does, something needs to be repaired/tweaked/replaced.

Try bending the center leaf of your sear spring too boost your pull up a few ounces until the condition stops. You can also try a lightweight trigger (aluminum or plastic) to help control the condition.

The factors that can aggravate hammer follow are many, the most common are too-heavy trigger part, too light sear spring, too heavy recoil spring,incorrect hammer/sear engagement, bent sear pin, incorrect sear pin holes/hammer holes....

·
Registered
651 Posts
Bladeandbarrel said:
I hate cats.
[/B]
PS-Your pistol needs attention soon, the fact that it is dropping the hammer from slide lock means that it will eventually do it when you least expect it.

The hammer should NEVER follow the slide down when dropping the slide, not when empty or using a snap cap. Never. If it does, something needs to be repaired/tweaked/replaced.

Try bending the center leaf of your sear spring too boost your pull up a few ounces until the condition stops. You can also try a lightweight trigger (aluminum or plastic) to help control the condition.

The factors that can aggravate hammer follow are many, the most common are too-heavy trigger part, too light sear spring, too heavy recoil spring,incorrect hammer/sear engagement, bent sear pin, incorrect sear pin holes/hammer holes....
Bladeandbarrel said:
I hate cats. Sorry if I offended you about cats
[/B] Chief-7700

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys. I can nearly guarantee that the sear spring is the issue. I built this gun myself starting with a SA Mil-Spec and used a Berryhill trigger kit. Don't want to sound like a self appointed expert, but I know the ignition system is A-OK.(i'll give it a close inspection anyway) I gave the sear spring a bit of tweaking to start with and probably over did it.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
No worry. Dave's parts are A-1. Make sure you have enough pretravel in your trigger (.040"-.050" is a nice minimum). Also make sure you have enough overtravel.

Bending a sear spring can sometimes be a frustrating task. There are many variables with the springs and every gun is an individual. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe I got it. I adjusted the sear spring a bit, from 4lb to a bit over 4.5lb and that seems to have taken care of it. I did my reload drill several times without issue and even (grit your teeth, I know its bad) dropped the slide on an empty chamer as a "proof test". (checked the sear nose and hammer hooks just for good meause as well)

And yes, Dave's parts are A-1!:rock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts