1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good .45ACP round for self-defense use if a person lives in an apartment? Over-penetration is, of course, the main concern. And, of course, expansion is greatly desired. What do you guys keep in the mag?

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I would worry about the rounds that miss rather than ones that may or may not overpenetrate. You have to run a 230 gr JHP hot enough to open AND penetrate to the vitals. Now you want it to fall to the floor immediately after leaving the bad guy or just stretch the skin on the off side and not break it. Jeez, they don't make that cartridge yet. Your penetration needs might be different if you have a skinny 125 lb. crack head break in or a 350 lb. biker. What if your shot has to go in the side thru the arm or shoulder first? You still want it to get to the vitals.

It is a tough choice. I don't believe overpenetration is the problem we all seem to think it is.

I use ProLoads with Gold Dot bullets in 230 gr +P at about 930 fps out of a 5" barrel. Hit them hard, hit them often.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

[This message has been edited by BillD (edited 07-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by BillD (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see your point. Thanks for the advice! One thing about my apartment: If I miss a shot in here, I couldn't hit a barn at five paces, so I'm not worried about missing.

------------------

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by Kevan:
I see your point. Thanks for the advice! One thing about my apartment: If I miss a shot in here, I couldn't hit a barn at five paces, so I'm not worried about missing.

Missing has to always be a concern. Be sure of your target and what is behind the target.
Hard to keep all that in mind when you may be in a life and death situation, I know.
But, your life has to come first and if you accidently kill a neighbor, well, a jury may see it your way. Just be sure you had to fire. Having said all that, I used to carry
Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok. Now I carry Winchester 185gr JHP Silvertips. From the testing I've seen, the Hydra-SHok can be kinda iffy when it comes to expansion after passing through clothing.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
#6 shot is good...Seriously...
If you have a problem with geography like that...It will still be a problem no matter what solid round you use...Don't miss...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm in a similar living situation and had the same concerns as you.

Currently, I keep my S&W mdl. 66 loaded with .38sp Hydra-shoks (110gr.) as my Champion has is still in the break in period (500 rounds so far).

I do keep a box of .45 Hydras on hand just in case I should need them. Given my choices of defensive/carry loads, I prefer 230gr. Hydras or Remington Golden Sabres in 185gr (std. pressure).

I don't claim that these are the best "stoppers," just loads that work well in my guns.

Mac

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I chose Winchester Silvertips. I've been keeping Silvertips in my .38 snub and like the performance I got with them, so I figured I'd go with them for my new .45. I was thinking of Glaser safety slugs, but I've not eard much about them. But I have to say that I thank all of you guys, especially those who brought up the point of penetration through thick clothing. We have cold, snowy winters here, so the probability of an itruder being thickly-clothed would be great for some months out of the year. I'll go with Silvertips for now and do some intensive tests of my own with several different flavors and see what works best.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts