1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any apartment reloaders here. Anyone live in a city and reloads. I talked to other people who reload in my area - they say they rent storage lockers to reload.
what do you other apartment reloaders do ?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Why would you need to reload off-site just because you live in an apartment?

The Lee Turret Press (and others) can be mounted to a crappy card table or Black and Decker Workmate (portable work bench thingy).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just I do not have enough room. I have a lot of other hobbies other then shooting. So space is tight- and I have to do it off site.
Also I was thinking about reloading for 357 mag ,44 mag , 9 mm, ans 40 S&W. But I do not think that makes a difference.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All those look like they require a 5x5 space.
I live in a 1 bedroom apartment.
I also do a home office. So I have my work stuff here. that takes up allot of room. I got 1 closet full of scuba gear. Another full of camping gear, then I got a there closet full of motorcycle gear and my hunting stuff. Then my bows and guns. Oh my guitars and amps.
Now throw furniture, TV and my clothes into the mix with a 70 pound chow- and we have my live :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
So this is not an apartment set up for reloading. Also I got to many guns for a San Fran resident, adding reloading is asking for trouble. If you ever been to San Fran or a city like NYC - you would understand. They hate legal gun owners.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have my press bolted to a 2x12 board. Mine is mounted on a work bench but you could clamp a setup like this to your kitchen table.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Midway offers a small table about a foot square that will hold a press or two just fine. Check out the picture of mine. I do use more space to store a tumble, dies and supplies. However, using this table saves alot of space. I have loaded THOUSANDS of rounds over the past 6-7 years with it!!!;)

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have that very same table, except mine has a Dillion 550B bolted to it. My cat looks exactly like yours too!
If you'd had one of the blue presses there, I'da wondered how you got into my place!;)

·
Registered
983 Posts
That's got to be the cutest picture EVAR.
My cats rarely wander into the reloading room without trying to break something or crawl into a box of bullets :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Very interesting thread.:D I live in a condo with a roomate,two bikes,my pitbull (Allie),4 guitars,amp,a bunch of firearms furniture,indoor pellet gun range...etc.I have a 90 degree desk for the 'puter and I'm thinking from what I've seen here,reloading can be doable.....I plan on starting with .38 [email protected] for the old Enfield revolver and progressing to .44sp,.45acp and .38sp.
Lots of great ideas here....:cool:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Check this thread and look at my pictures using clamps to mount my 550. You really don't need much room to set up a small reloading press.
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57688&highlight=condo45

It sounds to me like you need a two bedroom or extra loft space type apartment or rent a storage space and move all the stuff you don't use on a monthly basis into the storage. Use the extra closet for reloading.... Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
166 Posts
No problem...!

In an 886 sq.ft, 2-bdr apartment I have a 24' x 30" (2"x12" clearheart fir) bench built right into the corner wall of a double-sliding-door hall closet with a Square Deal B bolted directly to the corner of the working surface (no Strong Mount). I still need to add additional shelving on the wall(s) to accommodate a few small things, but even as-is this is a VERY efficient and convenient setup to say the least. Wanna reload for a half-hour...? Just open the closet door, turn on the light and crank. Slide the closet door shut and the entire system is invisible! This is the closet with the washer-dryer hookups (I don't have them) so it has fan ventilation, electrical outlets, basic lighting (I use a additional flourescent lamp on the tabletop), and water heater is there as well, keeping the space warm and DRY with a little additional heat. The bench is stand-up height (I prefer to stand) but suitable for a tall stool if sitting was preferred.

One of my fellow shooters from the local range built the bench, and it's the perfect hot setup for me at the moment.

(I'll post a photo as soon as I get home from work where I can access my server.) :cool:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remember I live in San Fran- the only place were aparments are smaller then NYC - hahah. Acually my co-op in NYC is bigger then the place I am renting in San Fran.

Now how much ventalation do i need ? An open window should do right ? Does reloading make alot of noise ? I am sure my neighboors are already neverous when they hear me rack the slide of my gun or shotgun.
What I might do is try to build a rolling case. something I can fold up and put my stuff away. Maybe throw a table cloth over it to make it blend in. Just incase the nosey landloard comes in when I am not home ;-).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here's the pic...!

I don't think my little Square Deal makes much noise at all. I also wouldn't work near an open window unless you were suffocating from the heat... Stuff and dirt coming INTO the window might be more an issue than anything happening right on your press surfaces in a closet.

Voila! Apartment reloading station!! :biglaugh:

PS--born and raised in SFO.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Great thread, and great link Kruzr :) , I live in a condo and my loading station is cramped in the laundry room(I have no space either). I haven't got a permanent workbench yet but I'm workin' on it :) .

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Another option I used for years was a lee hand press I kept in in a shoe box under my bed, and I had a uniflow mounted to a 12x12 board in a closet. I only reloaded for .45 back then but my apartment counter provided pleanty of space for this setup.
(it is slower than a progressive but not as much as you might think.)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts