1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get a new gun for appendix carry (currently carrying a .38 snub this way and I'm looking for more capacity). I've pretty much narrowed it down to a commander or officer sized 1911, XDs 9mm, Glock 26, or Glock 30.

The 1911 and XDs have the obvious benefit of being slim, but the 26 and 30 win in the capacity debate.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

-JC

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I don't carry that way.
It threatens the package.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I really like JM Custom Kydex with the extra tuck feature or if it's got to be leather TT Gunleather is tough to beat. As far as guns I've carried a XDS 45, XDM Compact 40, a Colt 3" Defender, a Commander length 1911 and a Full Size 1911. To be honest I thought the shorter(XDS, XDM and the 3" 1911) harder to carry because they wanted to tip forward because of the amount of barrel behind the belt. I find that a Commander to be about perfect but don't count out a Full Size either. With a good belt and my JM Custom Kydex a 5" is very comfortable and disappears under a T-shirt. But this is my experience your may very. AIWB is definitely NOT one size fits all. Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CT72, thanks for the input. I'm a big fan of both of those holster makers.

I've carried an XDs .45 before and it was fairly comfortable. I got rid of it mainly because I'd rather have a revolver than an auto that's 5+1. I've never carried a commander or officer 1911, just full-sized at about the 4-5 o'clock position.

I'd love to hear any other opinions.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Any of those guns will work. If I was going to do the Glock 30 I would get the 30S. It has the slide profile of the 36.

Also the 30S is different from the 30SF.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Glocks will relatively soon have a Gadget option, which was specifically designed to increase margins of safety during appendix holstering. Sorry, the thread is 39 pages..
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16462-gadget-update

I carry pretty much appendix only and I've carried pretty much all sizes. Full sized 1911, wide slide Beretta Elite, Glock 17, Glock 19, CZ 75 Compact, SIG 228, HKs of three different sizes. A friend carries Glock 34.

You will not know until you tried for yourself, there's too much individual variability and tolerance. In general, 5 inch 1911 and full size Beretta are pushing it, both size and weight. Commander or Compact should be fine size wise, but weight may be an issue. A general goldilocks size is sub-4 inch barrel and grip that's not too long. A trick to carrying 3" barreled guns is to get slightly longer holsters for torsional stability. Some cannot overcome a colostomy bag effect of double stack guns; Walther PPS is almost a guaranteed success. An excellent aiwb holster for one dude may turn out to be sucky for another; for example, JMCK doesn't like me and I've had three of them. Good luck.

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr. Givens, if I make the plunge on the 30, it will be the 30S. the slim backstrap of the sf and the 36 slide is a win-win in my opinion. Truthfully, if I can find someone to trade a 30S for my FNX-9, I'm going to jump on it like a fatty on cake.

YVK, I agree. One can only learn what's comfortable and conceals by trying it; however, I do not have enough income to simply buy a gun to try out and end up not liking it. Sure, I can trade it or resell it, but I may not find the gun I'm looking for in trade and I won't get all my money back out of it in a sale. So I'd like to know others experiences with my short list of guns, to be more educated before I buy/trade.

EireRogue, I've never used any Dale Fricke holsters. I'll be sure to look into that. Thanks for the recommendation.

FresnoRob, I also used to carry a XDs .45 and it hid like a dream. I just couldn't justify the capacity of 5+1.

-JC

·
Registered
303 Posts
You're right about capacity of the Glock 30S. But if you like the 1911 platform there's a lot of great options. I have a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander that I really like because of the light weight aluminum frame. But like I said earlier a full size steel gun is fine too. I find that the weight of a gun not to really matter as much when carrying AIWB as to 3:30-4:00. But then again I suffer from "Old White Man Butt" or as OWMB as my wife calls it:)

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Appendix carry.....

Most shooters will agree a good 1911 trigger is easier to shoot than a DAO or longer trigger pull with a Glock or S&W M&P.....unless you have trigger work done on the polymer guns.

I have Glocks and M&P guns, but for EDC, I use a 1911 Commander, with 10+1 in the gun with hot .38 super loads, and one extra 10 round mag on my opposite hip..... I believe a weapon with 11 rounds is sufficient for my needs. If I were in LE, I would probably want a higher capacity pistol like my STI 2011 .40.

A good thick belt and a good holster makes all the difference in the comfort of carrying a gun all day..... A fully loaded Glock 17 (17 +1) and a fully loaded 1911 steel 9mm Commander with 11 rounds, is not that far apart in weight in my opinion......yes the Glock is lighter when empty, but adding more rounds in a 17 round mag adds additional weight.

The advantage of an all steel gun, even though heavier, is that it helps to dampen recoil due to more mass which may allow faster and more accurate follow up shots with a person that trains properly.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
YVK, I agree. One can only learn what's comfortable and conceals by trying it; however, I do not have enough income to simply buy a gun to try out and end up not liking it. Sure, I can trade it or resell it, but I may not find the gun I'm looking for in trade and I won't get all my money back out of it in a sale. So I'd like to know others experiences with my short list of guns, to be more educated before I buy/trade.

EireRogue, I've never used any Dale Fricke holsters. I'll be sure to look into that. Thanks for the recommendation.

-JC
JC, a fairly simple test is to stick your guns in the holsters that you already have into an appendix position and assess for a bulk and weight. You won't get an idea of concealment, draw, and I won't infer anything about comfort unless your holsters are straight drop, but you'll see if one or another is too heavy or thick.

Archangel is another holster I can't use unless it comes with both of his adapters and is set at custom height; a friend loves his as is. Pretty typical for aiwb.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Another good AIWB holster is Keeper's Concealment. I have only one, but it works exceptionally well for two pistols (M/P and M/Pc). You might want something similar that supports the pistol models you're talking about. In other words, if you already have (and enjoy/are proficient with) a Glock 19/17, then get the G26 ... If you are looking for something totally slim/small that is different than any other pistol you have, then I'd get the Shield (in your case the XDs - after you've shot it of course). I use a FOXX Holster for my Shield and it is very stable, but not nearly as comfortable (and almost concealable) as the Keeper's.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rwehavinfunyet, I don't disagree that a 1911 shoots better. That's a fact. I will say a good belt and holster aren't the solution for every gun in appendix carry. I can't appendix carry my service pistol and conceal it unless I'm wearing a jacket. The grip prints. No holster or belt will change that. So while a good holster and belt are essential, they aren't always a fix. I do appreciate your input though.

YVK, thanks for the suggestion. I've done that a few times. That's how I came to the short list that I have.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get a new gun for appendix carry (currently carrying a .38 snub this way and I'm looking for more capacity). I've pretty much narrowed it down to a commander or officer sized 1911, XDs 9mm, Glock 26, or Glock 30.

The 1911 and XDs have the obvious benefit of being slim, but the 26 and 30 win in the capacity debate.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

-JC
I've been carrying AIWB for at least 10 yrs. I actually have an easier time carrying a Govt. model 1911 in a TT Gunleather holster. It slides down & over "things" when I sit. I find the shorter guns tend to dig into stuff.

Some people are built for it & some aren't. Leather's more comfortable, but kydex is thinner. For kydex, I have found that FIST's ultra thin kydex helpful in the thinness area & a little flexible, perhaps providing a little more comfort than the typical kydex holster.

As far as the gun, do think a thinner slide helps.

Good luck, it's really trial & error.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I can't appendix carry my service pistol and conceal it unless I'm wearing a jacket. The grip prints. No holster or belt will change that.
I'm not sure what your service pistol is, but Keeper's was specifically created in an attempt to AIWB his Glock 35. His design sounds a little wonky, but I am able to easily conceal an M&P full-size as well. It's worth the time/money to get one if you are going to AIWB.

http://keepersconcealment.com/

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Keepers Concealment is priced nearly TWICE as much as the competition- I hear there is a 10 month wait too. No thanks
It is more than twice as much, Keeper is 170 while Shaggy and JMCK is 70-80, but Keeper current wait time is about 3 months.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts