1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, I purchased a new Special Forces from a local gun shop; black gen 4 coating, tritium sights, VZ stocks. It was a gift to my grandson for graduating from a tech school.

We have shot a few hundred rounds through it; there is of course some finish wear on the inside of the slide at the friction points, but the pistol has never been carried or worked out of a holster, so the exterior is pristine. It has all the accoutrements; logo case, original magazine, manual, unopened bottle of Ed Brown lube, etc.

The boy is approaching his 21st birthday, when he can take possession of "his" guns, and has now decided that he would rather have and carry an HK45 Compact like Granddad. He has his eye on an HK45CT in that same shop, and wants to trade his SF in on it.

I know I can get more out of it by selling outright to an interested individual, but I'd rather avoid the whole on-line selling thing, or waiting to find someone around here who knows what it is and will pay accordingly.

Here's my question… given the pistol as described, what is the approximate going rate for one? I understand that the pistol must be examined to give a definite value; that's why I'm asking for an approximation. I know the LGS owner is going to try to rape me; I just want an idea of how bad…;)

·
Banned
169 Posts
Having bought and sold plenty of 1911's in the past few months, including Ed Browns, I'll take a crack at this. The market for buyers right now is great, tons of good stuff out there. If you look on GB you'll see how many Browns there are and how cheap you can pick one up. If it's a great market for buyers, that usually means a terrible market for sellers.

I don't know what options you have on yours, but several I've seen sell lately with options like naked slides, different sights, magwell, etc have gone for between $2,000-$2,300 depending on age and condition. Those were in like new condition. I know one sold recently on another website that was a little bit older but still in great condition, came without an of the extra options, and ended up selling for around $1,700-$1,800.

Those are "retail prices" if you sell to someone who knows what they are doing. I'd expect to get just over half of current retail if you trade in.

This is just my opinion and what I've personally seen, maybe someone will chime in whose seen more.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I think the above post is a fair and accurate account. The economic realities may make you want to hold on to the EB. Either of you - somewhere down the road - may want to use it as a fine range gun or occasional carry. You'll never be able to replace it for what you'll get at the LGS.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know your financial situation, but the Brown given to your grandson will hold more memories and value for him years down the road than the HK. He may not appreciate the gun or the gift right now, but I suspect he'll regret not having it in the future.

Tell him you want him to keep the Brown, as a reminder of your time together; and offer to help him pay for the HK. Or buy the Brown from him now and leave it to him in your estate.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Dealers I've dealt with will give a percentage of the book value. I accept it as fair when they show me the book value and pull out the calculator. So I would suggest having your local dealer do the same.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
the Brown given to your grandson will hold more memories and value for him years down the road than the HK. He may not appreciate the gun or the gift right now, but I suspect he'll regret not having it in the future.

Tell him you want him to keep the Brown, as a reminder of your time together; and offer to help him pay for the HK. Or buy the Brown from him now and leave it to him in your estate.
^^^^^ Leave it to him. By that time he will have a better appreciation for it.

You can get that HK45CT for around $1,100. It will be worth 60% of that is a couple years. I suspect he will find a different plastic gun as time passes that interests him and replace it.

He will never be able to replace the memories of the SF. Memories last a persons lifetime. I still have and occasionally wear my grandfathers Omega watch given to me on my tenth birthday in 1959.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
I don't know your financial situation, but the Brown given to your grandson will hold more memories and value for him years down the road than the HK. He may not appreciate the gun or the gift right now, but I suspect he'll regret not having it in the future.

^^^^ If possible, this is what I would do.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having bought and sold plenty of 1911's in the past few months, including Ed Browns, I'll take a crack at this. The market for buyers right now is great, tons of good stuff out there. If you look on GB you'll see how many Browns there are and how cheap you can pick one up. If it's a great market for buyers, that usually means a terrible market for sellers.

I don't know what options you have on yours, but several I've seen sell lately with options like naked slides, different sights, magwell, etc have gone for between $2,000-$2,300 depending on age and condition. Those were in like new condition. I know one sold recently on another website that was a little bit older but still in great condition, came without an of the extra options, and ended up selling for around $1,700-$1,800.

Those are "retail prices" if you sell to someone who knows what they are doing. I'd expect to get just over half of current retail if you trade in.

This is just my opinion and what I've personally seen, maybe someone will chime in whose seen more.
So, IOW, the semi-custom 1911 market has tanked about the same as the AR market. That figures, because it certainly is a "buyer's market" for ARs right now.

Okay, great information; thank you very much.

As to the legacy aspect… its his pistol, he can do what he wants with it, and I won't be upset either way. We discussed this very thing. Plus, there are other parameters involved here, beyond the scope of this inquiry.

Appreciate all the responses.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I do not hold anything for inheritance! I am 78 now and my children are all in late 40's and 50's. Anything they inherit will be well used! Anything I want to give them I do on a daily basis! Let them use and enjoy the gifts as THEY grow older.
Big Jim

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
There are a lot of pistols listed right now. I wonder how it will be a year from now with the election coming up.

Current Gunbroker listings

Ed Brown..................297
Wilson Combat..........489
Les Baer...................220
Nighthawk................437
Colt 1911...............1507
Kimber...................2647
SA..........................749

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
To be completely honest, I have no idea of the value of an Ed Brown. But Gunbroker has almost 400 of them listed. That alone tells me that there is no longer a premium. What used to be a specialty item has become just another 1911, albeit an expensive one. Similarly, there are almost 500 Wilsons, 220 Baers, and 425 Nighthawks listed. That's more than 1,500 premium 1911's - and that's only 1 site. Way too many to want to "invest" in one at the moment. I paid a good bit less for my Kobra Carry than what is listed on their website but that was a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
There are a lot of pistols listed right now. I wonder how it will be a year from now with the election coming up.
We're kindred spirits Jim. As to the election, it all depends on which one of the slugs gets the nod. Hells bells, we could not only not be a Christian nation beginning in January of '17, we might be a communist nation! Frankly I wish that 535 of them would just disappear so we could start over clean.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I bought a Special Forces Carry for the great price of $1850. I know it was a Carry which actually cost slightly more and this pistol was only fired 50 rounds and looks it.

I assume your Special Forces is not a Carry?

I might add that is was also a stainless model which wears much better that a gen 3 or gen 4.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
After the extremely generous gift you gave him and he want's something else, I'd buy him that HK and take the Brown back for myself. You are money ahead and now own a superior gun. Please don't let a dealer rape you on a trade in. I'll buy it from you for what he's going to give you.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Agree. Wish I had something like this to remind me of either of my grandfathers.
I lucked out a few months ago and bought a well cared for EB SF with the Gen 3 finish and about 1500 or less rounds through it private party for $1900 cash. Very happy with it- no regrets at all.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts