1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question about drum magazines for the AR-15... Do you need a class 3, or is this all preban stuff....

I have a post ban AR and I was wondering if I can have a drum without a license?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I can put a preban man , on a post ban rifle?
Sweet :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes, that true. But right after the 94 ban, there were ATF agents who said that they would prosacute anyone who insterted a preban mag into a postban gun. Talk about overextending the authority....

I could just see the ATF trying to go after that one, it would almost be impossable.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well now I just read an article stating I needed a class 3 license to have the 90 round drum.. Said I had to follow BATF rules...

This is starting to piss me off ;) :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Is this a post ban drum? If so, then the rules are differnt. This would be marked "For export law enforcment only" Thus the only way you could have it would be FFL with special department letterhead stating that you need to purchase post 94 hi caps for a certian police department.

anyone?

Also, is this a "BETA C" drum? If it is, then watch out! These have been known to be garbage.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm so what I need to be in the market for then is a post ban drum , is this correct?

Also I am not sure if it is a beta C, but any suggestions about what I need to be looking for would be helpful :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
NO, you need a PREBAN drumto be legal. Save your money. $600-$800 is alot for a drum when the AW ban will sunset in Sept and they'll be down to $250 or so. Or look into the MWG 90 preban drums for $150.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A beta C mag looks like two snails hanging from the bottom of the gun. It is not one big circle, but two. there's part of the mag on each side of the gun. And you need a PRE-ban drum, not a post-ban, those will get you in trouble. I'm gonna wait to get a drum for mine though, I'm counting on the ban to sunset in september and being able to get new ones for $200-300. We'll see. Hope that helps.

OlBoy

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Do your part to get that bill to sunset, it will not go away without you!!

Dont get your hopes up for cheap mags , it is not 100%. We all here are really wanting it, and waiting for it, but we wont win this without a fight.

good luck

:)

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Check out this thread from AR-15.com - it shows what a good legal Beta C mag looks like and some of the crap that is also being sold. Some of these bad ones have the serial numbers removed, so beware who you buy these from and what kind of deal you get.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=149642

1 - 11 of 11 Posts