1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
To my knowledge, they also work in the M96 Expeditionary Rifle (a descendent of the Stoner), and there is a conversion kit for the Galil. The H&K G41 also uses M16 mags, but you won't ever run across one of those.

[This message has been edited by McNamara (edited 11-18-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
There are a lot of rifles out there that use AR mags, simply because they are so plentiful and also because the M-16 is the most commonly-encountered rifle in NATO inventories. Any new rifle maker is wise to use them, as it's easier to sell it on the basis that it'll accept standard AR/M-16 type magazines.

On the down side, AR mags have never been known for durability. They're designed to be cheap and disposable during wartime. For those who hang on to them for constant re-use, they have a tendency to crack, split along the seams, or have the feed lips wear thin over time.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'd like to add that AR type mags are also known as STANAG magazines. There are several NATO and SEATO pact nations that have rifles which use STANAG type magazines like the AR-15's. Anyway, as dsk said, they suck. Scratch one for the Kalashnikovs and poly-waffle magazines.

themao

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have to disagree with the AR mags sucking comment. The Canadian Thermolds and the Israeli Orlites are excellent quality and very reliable. The New style GI with the green followers are quite good also .

·
Administrator
74,658 Posts
It's the US-made Thermolds that are good, not the Canadian ones. Thermold Plastics tried to get the US military to buy the Thermold mags, but they didn't bite. The Canadian government liked them however, but when they began making them in Canada they used a different type of polymer (i.e. cheaper) that had a lower melting point. Under the heat of continuous full-auto fire the Canadian mags will start to melt at the feed lips, hence the name "Thermelts" given to them. But the US-made mags (marked "Made in SC, USA") are still very good.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 11-20-2001).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
DSK has a point on the Thermolds, the CF no longer uses them and hasn't for a number of years due to failures, they now use USGI style magazines and magazine related failures are nearly gone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you beat me to it sparrow, CF has no plastic mags left, just a whole bunch of metal ones, also the nice thing about the metal mags is you can brace the weapon on the mag when in the prone, but the plastic ones tend to give under the recoil

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have been extremly impressed with the performance of the Thermold magazines . Mine are US made by D&D. Also a friend of mine uses them in his Full Auto M16 and they feed flawless and he has never melted one either. I have no experience with the Canadian made ones. But the US made ones kick butt. ! http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/RyanNVan/ARMAGS2.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
My understanding of the Thermold "melt" problem related to special circumstances involving blank ammo. Apparently using a blank firing adapter causes the weapon to run "hotter" than normal ammo. IIRC the Canadian army had some early magazines melt in training ops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts