1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this one should be an easy one. I need help taking apart my pre-ban Colt CAR-15. The rear pin that holds the upper receiver in pops out easy, but the foreward pin doesn't, and doesn't appear that it is made to. If I ever wanted to put another upper receiver on, how would I go about removing the forward pin? Excuse me if my terminology is incorrect.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Being a colt, it may have one of at least two different front takedown pins. One looks the same as the rear pin - if you have that one, just push it out (but not all the way out) to the right. It may just be tighter than the rear pin. Try using a punch to get it moving.

The other that I know of takes two flat head screwdrivers - one on each side - to unscrew the front pin.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i find on my bushy that if i lean the upper receiver up (barrel down, its marginally easier to push out...no idea why, but it is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you do not have a Colt lower then the front pin is a different size then the rear and probably has an offset pin in it. I would use a brass punch (not steel) and gently try to tap it out. If it still wont move don't try and force it and take it to you local gunsmith and ask him. I know my gunsmith wouldn't charge me for it and would educate me on how to do it myself.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have to tap my front pin lightly with a rubber hammer. The key words are "lightly and rubber".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts