1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone shoot a AR in 7.62x39 configuration?
I have a pre-ban Bushy XM15 M4 type shorty in 5.56 and I have a chance to buy a complete Colt 7.62 top end that should bolt right on.
I have shot a Colt 7.62 with full stock and thought it was interesting combo, I guess recoil would be more noticable from my M4 stock. I kind of like the option of 'thirty cal' rounds if this combo works.... I searched here and at Ar15.com but didn't find much info on this combo, so I am curious.
Thanks,

·
Registered
157 Posts
I shot a friend's a while back. Recoil was a step up but not too bad. One thing you might want to consider is that they use a Franken-mag that are hard to get a hold of. Also I think you have to get an adapter to put a Colt upper onto any other kind of AR lower. Brownells sels it i think. Sure would like to get one, what a good brush gun for deer!

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I hadn't thought about any lower pin differences as I thought that was just a pre-ban / post-ban thing, but I will certainly check that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You don't need an adapter to fit the 7.62 upper to the lower. I have the Colt w/20 inch barrel on a Colt post ban lower ( upper is also PB). The recoil is not an issue and it is accurate. Stay from Wolf ammo or any ammo that uses steel cases. Its hard on the extractor. I have shot a few rounds of Wolf throught it, and the groups were pretty good, 2 inches at 100 yards w/ open sites.

Hi cap mags are pretty expensive. The upper should come with 2 10 round mags and an adapter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts