1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 18 and bought my first ar about a month ago and love it. Wanted to get an Ar platform pistol but you have to be 21 to my knowledge. Can I buy a stripped lower and buy the trigger control group, buffer tube, ex. and a pistol brace to make it a pistol then get an upper with the barrel length that I want? A post I previously read said that a stripped lower that had never been a rifle can be made into a pistol no problem because it was considered just a receiver.

·
Administrator
75,390 Posts
If it's purchased as a stripped lower and is so-marked on the 4473 form then it can be built into anything you want, assuming there are no local laws to the contrary. However I don't know what the laws are regarding assembling a pistol under age 21. I just Googled it and got conflicting answers, so be careful. I suggest going on the ATF website instead or contacting your local ATF office.

Reactions: redeemed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's purchased as a stripped lower and is so-marked on the 4473 form then it can be built into anything you want, assuming there are no local laws to the contrary. However I don't know what the laws are regarding assembling a pistol under age 21. I just Googled it and got conflicting answers, so be careful. I suggest going on the ATF website instead or contacting your local ATF office.
Thank you man, when ever I looked it up I got the same conflicting results. I appreciate the point in the right direction

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Oh boy, I would not be buying or building a pistol style right now. Just too murky with the ATF. That being said, the answer to your question is all in the name, pistol. One cannot currently possess a pistol until your 21 regardless of how you come by it.

·
Administrator
75,390 Posts
One cannot currently possess a pistol until your 21 regardless of how you come by it.
That isn't true. Straight from ATF's website:

Reactions: Sconie and Zack856

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh boy, I would not be buying or building a pistol style right now. Just too murky with the ATF. That being said, the answer to your question is all in the name, pistol. One cannot currently possess a pistol until your 21 regardless of how you come by it.
My state currently has it so if you’re 18 a family member can transfer a pistol to you as long as they are 21 or older. So I can legally possess a pistol, that was the only reason I thought building one might be possible.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would not concern myself with the AFT's inevitable bull**** unconstitutional edicts on AR pistols being SBR's and such. If you want one, have one.

That said I would also not run afoul of laws saying I need to be 21 to own a pistol. That said, if the law is as you say in your AO and having a family member gift the lower and upper to you is a valid work around, cool. Do that.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I just turned 18 and bought my first ar about a month ago and love it. Wanted to get an Ar platform pistol but you have to be 21 to my knowledge. Can I buy a stripped lower and buy the trigger control group, buffer tube, ex. and a pistol brace to make it a pistol then get an upper with the barrel length that I want? A post I previously read said that a stripped lower that had never been a rifle can be made into a pistol no problem because it was considered just a receiver.
As long as it's legal in your state to do so there's no problem. Just be aware of the limitations of an AR pistol. No vertical foregrip and no stock.

Maybe in YOUR state. As shown below there's no such prohibition in Federal Law. It really pays to actually know state and federal law when it comes to firearms. Most people don't know either and most of what they know is incorrect.

That isn't true. Straight from ATF's website:

Reactions: redeemed

·
Registered
411 Posts
To purchase a stripped lower you have to be 21 as they don’t know if you’re going to build a pistol or rifle yet. What barrel length are you wanting? Sons of Liberty make a 13.7” pinned and welded barrel that’ll be legal for rifles

·
Premium Member
11,818 Posts
...Sons of Liberty make a 13.7” pinned and welded barrel that’ll be legal for rifles
Don't you mean 14.7"? That's what Wilson is doing to enable use of a standard length GI flashider pinned and welded to still be legal.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
18 U.S. Code § 922

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1)
any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

So, technically, a stripped AR lower is not a rifle or shotgun, and cannot be sold to an individual under 21.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To purchase a stripped lower you have to be 21 as they don’t know if you’re going to build a pistol or rifle yet.
It doesn't matter what you intend or say you're GOING to build it as. It's what configuration is it in at the time of transfer.

If it's a stripped lower or even a complete lower (FCG, buffer & spring, and either a stock or brace/blade), it is transferred as "Other firearm" because it's still neither a COMPLETE handgun nor a COMPLETE long gun.

You have to be 21 to purchase a stripped lower FROM AN FFL. If 18-20, you can purchase one private party as long as your state laws allow it.

The one thing you can't do is give someone money or other compensation to buy one form an FFL for you. That would be a straw purchase.

Someone can buy you one as a legitimate GIFT, so long as you are not reimbursing them.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
18 U.S. Code § 922

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1)
any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

So, technically, a stripped AR lower is not a rifle or shotgun, and cannot be sold to an individual under 21.
Correct. Because the receiver can be lawfully assembled as a legally configured handgun it cannot be transferred via FFL to any person fewr than 21 yrs old. Agree with post #14 that the age restriction includes a lower with parts and shoulder stock attached as being likewise prohibited. ATF does not consider a bare receiver, receiver with trigger, etc installed and lower with trigger, etc installed and shoulder stock attached to be a rifle until it has been what ATF refers to as "enbarreled" (their word, not mine) which in the case of an AR would mean a +16 upper attached.

So long as the individual and "unlicensed seller" (non-FFL) reside in the same state and private sales are not prohibited, and sale or transfer of a handgun to a person fewer than 21 yrs old is not prohibited by state law, there is no reason the 18 year old is unable to purchase or have a handgun transferred to them.

And while "handgun to rifle and back" legal reconfiguration is lawful, starting out as a rifle prohibits reconfiguring as a handgun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Because the receiver can be lawfully assembled as a legally configured handgun it cannot be transferred via FFL to any person fewr than 21 yrs old.
While you are correct that an incomplete lower can not be transferred by an FFL to anyone < 21 YO, that's technically not the reason WHY it can't be transferred.

The reason it can't be transferred isn't because it can be configured as something else later (e.g., a handgun).

The reason it can't be transferred is because 27 CFR § 478.99 specifically allows 18-20 YO to purchase a "shotgun, rifle or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle" and an incomplete lower (stripped or otherwise) is NOT a "shotgun or rifle".

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
While you are correct that an incomplete lower can not be transferred by an FFL to anyone < 21 YO, that's technically not the reason WHY it can't be transferred.

The reason it can't be transferred isn't because it can be configured as something else later (e.g., a handgun).

The reason it can't be transferred is because 27 CFR § 478.99 specifically allows 18-20 YO to purchase a "shotgun, rifle or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle" and an incomplete lower (stripped or otherwise) is NOT a "shotgun or rifle".
Agree, that is the better and accurate way of putting it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Man, this thread makes me feel old. My old stepdad was a detective (cop) at the time, and he bought me my first handgun when I was 10 years old...at Oshman's in the local mall...I was standing right there picking it out, and it was clear to everyone that it was for me.

Now we're living this freak show.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man, this thread makes me feel old. My old stepdad was a detective (cop) at the time, and he bought me my first handgun when I was 10 years old...at Oshman's in the local mall...I was standing right there picking it out, and it was clear to everyone that it was for me.

Now we're living this freak show.
Well, it's been 21 for a handgun purchased from an FFL since October 22, 1968. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Federal Firearms Act of 1938 (which was repealed and replaced by the GCA) included such a provision.

I was standing right there picking it out, and it was clear to everyone that it was for me.
Decades ago, beating your wife or the potential consequences of little kits playing lawn 'Jarts' was clear to everyone as well, but times have changed. ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, it's been 21 for a handgun purchased from an FFL since October 22, 1968. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Federal Firearms Act of 1938 (which was repealed and replaced by the GCA) included such a provision.

Decades ago, beating your wife or the potential consequences of little kits playing lawn 'Jarts' was clear to everyone as well, but times have changed. ;)
I didn't purchase it...a cop did...it was clearly a "gift". I wonder how well that would go over these days...maybe depending on where you live and who you know...which might exemplify the inequity in our legal system.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts