1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the last 15 or so years i've been carrying various ar derivatives in the mountains, and across the prairies here. before that it was a sharps 38-55 that weighed about 6 pounds. recently i had need for a .22 rifle, and dug out the 9422 winchester i bought back in 1972. sure feels good in the hand. looking around locally i found a 1953 carbine in 30-30. yep, that's the stuff. it doesn't hold 30 rounds, but it does balance between the hands, its small, light, and quick. i seldom shoot twice, and never 5 or 6 shots unless i'm chasing a beer can. no real need for 20 rounds, or the weight. the carbine i got has really nice metal, and say 70% blue. the big thing is the machine work. just tight as a bank vault. it does have some dings, and the stocks had some handy dandy holes drilled for, i don't know something important i guess. so it will never be collector grade, but by gosh it sure is handy. we have lots of black bears this year....:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Did someone say "9422?" You've got my attention.

Like most here, there's many rifles in the safe, but when I just want to wander about the outback here, I have a penchant to grab one of my lever guns, "just for fun". My two 9422's in 22LR and 22WMR are my two favorite rimfire rifles.

Add in my two .44 Mags, and I'm set for just about anything I may encounter here on the high desert, or in the high country. And like you said, "sure feels good in the hand". :)

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
There's good reason why, regardless of how 'modern' and 'cutting edge' we tend to get with firearms, the lever-rifle seems to stick around. Interweb arguments aside, massive magazine capacities are fun, but they are only truly needed for certain, very specific 'situations'. Yes, it's nice to have the latest and greatest, but you'll rarely find yourself in a predicament where a good lever gun isn't a viable option. Lever-rifles are simple, strong, reliable, well-balanced, and come in calibers that pack a hell of a wallop. What's not to like?

The .30-30 is a classic, for sure, but that .38-55 is a heck of an elegant round!!! :) :)

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey, i LIKE you guys. i thought i'd get flamed, but instead you guys get it! for those that may not know the 30-30 was a very early smokeless round made from the 32-40, 38-55 brass. its a bit shorter. the old black powder rounds were used for many things, but off hand at 220 yards (40 rods) was one. they are very accurate. if you have not played with either and get a chance give them a try. very comfortable, and if you cast and reload, cheap. nice to see the tang sight mr. rick. good shooting!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just sold a Henry .44 Magnum Carbine to a friend who needed another hunting rifle. It was a beautiful gun. I always had a hankering for a 45-70 lever action, but never got around to buying one. Nothing wrong with a good lever action rifle.

·
Administrator
75,384 Posts
Lever actions do have their drawbacks. Their actions are somewhat fragile and not easy to disassemble or replace parts on. Magazine tubes can get dented or bent. You're limited to soft-point or flat-nosed ammunition. Adding an optic can be problematic with some models. Having said that though, unless you're heading back to Asscrackistan and planning on spending time getting all dirty, dusty or muddy a lever-action is still a great rifle for most civilian uses, including self defense. If Big Brother ever takes away all of my semi-autos my Win 1873 replica in .357 Magnum is going to become my home defense long gun, and it will work quite well in that role.

·
Administrator
75,384 Posts
Or the Winchester 1895. Mag-fed levers are pretty few and far between though.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have Winchester '94 rifles in .45 Colt and .44 magnum. I have ARs in 5.56X45mm, .50 Beowulf, and 7.62X51mm. They are all good.

Reactions: best.45

·
Registered
25,598 Posts
dsk, don't forget the 99 savage with is rotary magazine.
Or the Browning BLR, or the Winchester model 1895. The 1895 would get a bit heavy over a long slog, especially with no sling swivels yet. But the 30-06 round will not leave you short.
The BLR in .308 is handy as all get out and will not leave you short either. And both of them have very good iron sights that I can use even with my flagging eyes.
Wood Musical instrument Floor Flooring Wood stain
Table Wood Shelf Shelving Wood stain

·
Registered
25,598 Posts
Or the Winchester 1895. Mag-fed levers are pretty few and far between though.
There are plenty of BLRs out there for sale as they are still being made in quite a few different calibers. And Winchester still does short runs of 1895s as well here and there.

·
Administrator
75,384 Posts
That's a purdy 1895 USMM. Is that an original or a Miroku?

·
Registered
25,598 Posts
That's a purdy 1895 USMM. Is that an original or a Miroku?
It is a Miroku that I got used at a very good price. A great shooter with pretty good iron sights. I would love to have an original, but clean ones are pretty pricey. You can pick up beaters here and there or ones in oddball chamberings, but even those are not cheap.

I think that Henry is making some box magazine lever guns now also. But the Henrys do not really do much for me.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mr limacharlie, i have been wondering about using the 94 in pistol cartridges v the model 92. as handy as a 94 is the 92 is even smaller, lighter etc. any comment?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my update on the 1953 94: i went to skinner sights in st Ignatius and got new front sights for both the 94 and the 9422. my brother came over today and we had a reloading session 😁 for the 30-30, then had to try it out. dead on at 50 yards (all the distance for my home range.) we used some 70's winchester 170 silvertips at about 1950fps. big fun! the 'funny holes' in the butt stock are pins to repair a crack. probably a horse rolled over on it. don't ask why i know this. in any case its been more fun than squishin' tadpoles in bare feet!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If not my M1892 Rossi carbine in .45 Colt, then my M4-clone. OR maybe my Mossberg .308 bolt gun. OR even my STG-58. Depending on range, I can probably handle almost any "situation amenable to gunfire" with one of those.
For SOME reason, when I read the thread title, it made me think of two adversaries, each armed with one of the rifles. I considered range, rate of fire, speed of reloading, penetration through barriers....
I came to the conclusion that I D'WANNA be up against EITHER of 'em, armed with ANY rifle!

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
interesting reply, and great choice of weapons! i wind up shooting a lot of rocks! it used to be there were plenty of targets, ground squirrels, magpies, sparrows, pine cones, skunks, rattle snakes, cotton tails, badgers, coyotes, big 'coyotes', porcupines. basically they were target practice. if you can hit a pine squirrel at 75 yards, a deer, or cotton tail is pretty easy at 50. the goal is to take game with one shot, and the animal is dead before it hits the ground. pronghorn are really hard to kill like that, so you want to make the best shot you can, which requires practice. i realize that i have been truly blessed to have been able to live like that, and for most folks its not even a dream. thank you for the reality check, and may i wish you memorable hunts where ever you are! for the future i am hoping to hunt hogs in the southern part of our great country. God bless you sir!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts