1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
simplify
496 Posts
I wish I had my dads 94 in 35 Winchester but the family gave it to a nephew ,he sold it for crack money.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
up date: i found 200 hornady bullets for $90. they are the 'new' plastic tip ones with a boat tail (?). also just ordered 8#s of powder, which is probably 7#s more than i will ever use, but the price was $250, so either you want powder, or you don't. it will interesting to have 250 yard capability with the factory irons. i am 70 and can still use irons, much to the surprise of my ophthalmologist. i think shooting irons helps keep the lens flexible . :rolleyes: more likely just lucky with genes. i got my brother all fired up on 30-30 and he is looking to dig our dad's 1926 94 out of the safe. so i'll trade him some powder for primers. :) i am getting very interested in finding an 1892. i always liked the 86, but its expensive, and heavy. the mini 86s are soo cool. probably in .44 mag as i have lots of reloading stuff for them. good hunting to all ya'all

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
...... :) i am getting very interested in finding an 1892. i always liked the 86, but its expensive, and heavy. the mini 86s are soo cool. probably in .44 mag as i have lots of reloading stuff for them. good hunting to all ya'all
92s are a great choice. Take a look at the Rossi version. For the money, new, I don't think you can do better! Used, they are a steal.

86s, on the 2nd-hand market, tend to be priced a little better. I suppose that since they aren't black plastic, they weigh more than 3lbs., and they don't hold 30+ rounds, folks tend to overlook them! :)

Here's one found 'used' - at least that's what they said. I found very little evidence of said 'use'!
Font Line Music Technology Pattern

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Winchesters Models 1873 (.38-40), 1876 (.45-60), 1886 (45-90), 1892 (.32-20), 94 (.32 Winchester Special), and 1895 (.405 WCF) live here. The Model 1876 is the recent and last edition to the tribe.

Of them, I like the '73 and '76 for quaintness. They're slick, but oh so primitive.

The '86 and '92 are first rate in every respect. Excellent design, strong, smooth in operation. Probably the best of the breed.

The '94 seems a bit awkward when compared with the '86/'92 design and I have to wonder why Winchester didn't just split the difference in size and make a medium framed lever-action to the same design as the previous two winners. The '94 is my least favorite Browning lever-action design (OOoo... did I really say that?).

The '95 is in a league of its own with its box magazine. It is a hoot to use because it appears to spill its guts each time it's opened. The action seems strong in the manner in which the '86 and '92 lock up, but it's a more updated design version.

A Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage also lives here and its a honey. Ought to still be made and ought to be wildly popular.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Oh I'm a Winchester man.
So how about a very rare Winchester 94/95 Hybrid. Only 14 of them in this configuration.

What's a 94/95 Hybrid you ask. Well seems Winchester had some barrels left over from a batch of Winchester 1895 NRA Muskets. Rather than throw them away, they were mounted on 94's and roll stamped just like every other 94 barrel. Only these are 1/10 twist, and that front sight is a 95 sporter front sight. And there's a dovetail under the forend for a 95 forend. Oh, and this one has a 22" barrel...Winchester never really made a 22" 94. So yeah, this one's an oddball.
Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
the 99 savage is in a league of its own, no doubt! .358 win would be a dandy! they are not as thin as the browning rifles imo. at one time i had about 12 of them. all mongrels. i still have a .300 and have killed lots of game with it over the years. really nifty for a saddle gun. a gunsmith i knew told never to say winchester or colt never made something. seems like an endless series of cool stuff over the years. gotta say i have never seen anything like your 'musket'. thank you for the photo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been selling off my rifles for a little over a year. I only have or had original models. I couldn’t abide repro or remakes. When I was young my buddies all made fun of me because they were buying new guns ( starting in 60s ) and I would be paying same money for some “old smoke pole”. Like Winchester 1895s, handle an original - then one of the remakes. The remake is a good rifle, but it ain’t got the feel of a original. Same with all the remakes. I had everything in keeper rack from 22s to 375H&H. When I’m done only the heirlooms will be left.
Wood Knife Everyday carry Tool Metal

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm a lever action guy myself, but I never really warmed up to the 95. I like carrying my rifle by the belly when I'm afield and in that aspect the 95 is just clunky and uncomfortable.

I was at Tulsa a few years ago and somebody had a well used but clean and un-dicked-with 71 standard for 2 grand. To this day I don't know what I was thinking to not buy it. My grandfather saw the writing on the wall when it came to 71s being discontinued (his, now my father's, is a deluxe) and he invested heavily in .348 ammo. It thumps you a bit, but you can't argue with results.

My go-to deer rifle is a beat up old 94 carbine in 30 WCF (you know, like every other guy on the planet). I ran across it at a pawnshop many years back and even though it's the definition of well used, I bought it because it's a pre-64 and it's all original, correct, and unmolested. These days it seems to be tougher and tougher to find old lever guns that haven't fallen victim to Bubba and his insatiable desire to put a night vision scope on every gun in the house. 🙄 People don't believe me when I tell them; scopes don't help you shoot better. They only help you see better.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
drm50: is that a 348 on the bottom? nice stuff you don't see much anymore. they look to be well taken care of, hopefully the new owners will appreciate what they have.

·
Registered
25,641 Posts
I was at Tulsa a few years ago and somebody had a well used but clean and un-dicked-with 71 standard for 2 grand. To this day I don't know what I was thinking to not buy it. 🙄 People don't believe me when I tell them; scopes don't help you shoot better. They only help you see better.
I do not know what you were thinking either? Just sayin.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a Rossi 92 16 inch in 38/.357 to go with my 2.5 inch Smith Model 19 and 4 inch Colt Python. after a little work to get the rossi to cycle 38s the gun runs great. Got it used for $325 and put $80 into it to slick it up and feed the 38s.

View attachment 619039

Also have a Uberti model 1894 in 30-30.

View attachment 619038

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
that 16 inch barrel is slick! have you tried the ftx hornady bullets? i loaded 30 yesterday, but have not had time to test yet. the leverevolution powder is good for another 200fps, not sure if that matters in a 30-30, best, james

·
Administrator
75,411 Posts
The '94 seems a bit awkward when compared with the '86/'92 design and I have to wonder why Winchester didn't just split the difference in size and make a medium framed lever-action to the same design as the previous two winners. The '94 is my least favorite Browning lever-action design (OOoo... did I really say that?).
You'd have to blame John Browning since he designed all three. Apparently he felt simply upsizing the '92 slightly wasn't going to give the desired results.

·
Registered
25,641 Posts
Winchesters Models 1873 (.38-40), 1876 (.45-60), 1886 (45-90), 1892 (.32-20), 94 (.32 Winchester Special), and 1895 (.405 WCF) live here. The Model 1876 is the recent and last edition to the tribe.

Of them, I like the '73 and '76 for quaintness. They're slick, but oh so primitive.

The '86 and '92 are first rate in every respect. Excellent design, strong, smooth in operation. Probably the best of the breed.

The '95 is in a league of its own with its box magazine. It is a hoot to use because it appears to spill its guts each time it's opened. The action seems strong in the manner in which the '86 and '92 lock up, but it's a more updated design version.

A Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage also lives here and its a honey. Ought to still be made and ought to be wildly popular.
Well you have to consider that the model 1894 was the rifle that put us on the map with smokeless powder. Even though the rifles were actually ready before the powder was, that was the plan. I am a really big fan of the model 92s, the 86s, and more so of the 95s. With my real big passion being the 1885s. But the landmark rifle was and is the model 1894. I have a bunch of lever guns. And if push came to shove, and I had to see my way through Armageddon with one of my lever guns it would likely be my Miroku 1895 in 30-06. O
Wood Shotgun Varnish Hardwood Wood stain
r my Miroku model 1892 in .45 Colt. But I still like the eight model 1894s that I have accumulated over the years for a number of reasons. Not least of which would be considered historical significance. Besides they look good hanging over the fireplace.

·
Registered
106 Posts
drm50: is that a 348 on the bottom? nice stuff you don't see much anymore. they look to be well taken care of, hopefully the new owners will appreciate what they have.
Bottom is M53 Winchester 25/20 made in 1920s a light rifle version of the 1892. I like to hunt small game with 25/20 & 32/20. They don’t do as much meat damage as a HV 22 Hp. I don’t know why the small cartridges are not more in use than they are.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
don't think i've ever seen an m53. my guess about the small calibers, is that most people don't hunt with these rifles, so don't find the value. its funny you mention this because after shooting my new rossi, i find just what you are talking about. there is more power than the .22, but not too much. more or less the same range. the biggest thing, however is the just plain genius of the design. soo nice to carry, beautiful to look at.

·
Registered
25,641 Posts
I was just shooting my model 53 the other day. Mine is part of that short run that they did in Miroku in 1990. They sure picked some nice wood for them.
Musical instrument accessory Tableware Knife Camouflage Military camouflage

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 1892 32/20 , sold it last week. It was a rifle too. In the 25/20 and 32/20 the rifle versions outshoot the carbines. That’s a fact Jack. I don’t know how many Wins and Marlins I went through in last 50years to find my keepers. Everyone likes the looks of a carbine. I’ve found that 38/40s and 44/40 carbines shoot well, 25/20 & 32/20 not so good.
I had a Marlin 1894 original carbine in 38/40. Collector grade with inscription plate in stock. Was a retirement gift to employee on Nickle Plate Rail Road. I don’t think it had ever been shot until it fell into my hands. It made short work of clay pigeons at 50yds. Someone who saw it at range called their buddy who collected RR stuff. He made me a deal I couldn’t refuse and it went down the “tracks”
I’ve had a couple others that were well used. One had a Coal Company stamped in stock with a rack number. Bore was terrible so was wood. Coal Mine collector got that one.
Writing implement Wood Pen Office supplies Beige

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have been trying to find a lever gun for a while, now y'all get me thinking more about them.
Had my hands on a Henry but it didn't feel good to me, seemed light in the middle?
I have the Browning lever in 22lr great shooter, sight's set for 100 yards.( New back in about 1978)
Shooting 6 inch steels , gun club shooting a match at steel rabbits and others stopped and had to see the rifle!
Bought a Marlin 1892 in 32 long colt , they don't make guns now days that feels that good in hands! Gifting it to my Grandson.
Ever time I think I know what I want I read more from you guys! Y'all are not making it easier!
Going to hold off and go to next gun show hopefully find one or order new one.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts