1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult and what is involved in swapping out the front handguards of a Car-15? Is it any more difficult to put on a fully floated front grip than it is the standard ones? Most ive found is in the 120+ range (fobus being the cheapest), and for that i can have it installed from the factory *but would have to save up a lil more* does it make sence to have then put on from the factory? or put them on myself?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Standard handguards are removed by depressing a spring loaded clip and pulling the handguards apart. A free float handguard replaces the barrel nut. The old handguards, front sight base and gas tube are removed followed by the barrel nut.
The tubular handguard is screwed on and timed with the hole for the gas tube. The gas tube is replaced followed by the gas block. You need a barrel wrench and a way to hold the upper and some punchs to drive out the tapered pins in the front sight base. This sounds like a lot of work but can be done in about 15 mins with experience and the right tools.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
in your opinion does it make sence to spend the 120 now and have them do it when they build it, or spend that much if not much more and try to do it myself later?

how do you guys feel about those add on shorty rails that work with the factory handguards? all its gonna have is maybe a light, vertical grip and bipod (some combination of those...)

i really appreciate what damian has done for me this far and dont want to waste any more of his time untill im 10000000% ready...

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you're talking about having Damian install a FIRSH, I would go for it. Unless you plan on buying a SIR or RAS down the road, a FIRSH would suit your needs for vertical grip, bipod and even a light.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reddevil said:
If you're talking about having Damian install a FIRSH, I would go for it. Unless you plan on buying a SIR or RAS down the road, a FIRSH would suit your needs for vertical grip, bipod and even a light.
i want to avoid buying a SIR or a RAS...but RRA offers a nice little FIRSH for 120 installed...and seperately its like 140...so im thinking...ok.. guess ill have to save up a lil more...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Here's another option, go here go to handguards, free float, then look at the $44 dpms ones. I have one similar and really like it. Like me, you sound like you don't want to hang a bunch of stuff on it, only a couple things. An easy solution is to drill a small hole and mount a stud for a bipod, and a very small rail for the grip. I already did it for the sling, and it looks like it was done by a pro (which I ain't). anyway, just an idea, you will probably save a few bucks this way, but if you got the cash FIRSH would be easier.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Grunt said:
Here's another option, go here go to handguards, free float, then look at the $44 dpms ones. I have one similar and really like it. Like me, you sound like you don't want to hang a bunch of stuff on it, only a couple things. An easy solution is to drill a small hole and mount a stud for a bipod, and a very small rail for the grip. I already did it for the sling, and it looks like it was done by a pro (which I ain't). anyway, just an idea, you will probably save a few bucks this way, but if you got the cash FIRSH would be easier.
i just went to SOG's website since they offer a tiny rail (fits between 3 holes of the stock handguard) that is made for a grip...then get one of those sling swivel mounts that goes in on of those holes...and i may be set...

this for the grip

this for a light later down the line

cuz i definantly dont wanna screw around with swapping handguards and cant afford to do it right away...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would consider the "First Samco" M33 handguards for around $89.00

They are easy to swap, not to mention that you would have to remove your stock handguards to mount the rails you posted about anyway.

The M33's imho are very decent. If you just want a forward vertical grip, and possibly add a light (no optics)....this is what I would recommend. They fit on pretty tight as well, tighter than any other stock handguards I've worked with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts