1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a question if i decide not to build my own AR15, does anyone got recommendations for a good affordable one? i heard buds gun shop sells some for $699, I am skeptical about buying it at that price, I would like your opinions and suggestions on it.

·
Banned
4,947 Posts
I would think that most manufacturers would be adequate for you needs. Avoid Hess/Vulcan or what ever they're called now and I believe that Olympic had a poor quality, at least at some point. Everyone makes dogs from time to time though.

What kind is the one at Buds?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think that most manufacturers would be adequate for you needs. Avoid Hess/Vulcan or what ever they're called now and I believe that Olympic had a poor quality, at least at some point. Everyone makes dogs from time to time though.

What kind is the one at Buds?
Thanks, Olympic wouldn't that be the Washington state brand? Bud's had a bush master i believe.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Building one is a lot easier than you would think and could be done with quality parts for under $800 if you shop around. Good used parts are often sold after very little use. Although AR15.com is out of control on who posts, their sticky threads are very informative to help on a build.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Entry level AR15 at decent prices are often DPMS, S&W, CMMG and a few others
if you just want the basic-basic rifle or carbine with no upgrades or goodies.
There are about a dozen other similar manufacturers, I just can't think of them all.
Those are usually around $600 or so, more or less.
Go find the ones in your price range, then spend a few hours online
looking for other owners giving you feedback.

At around $1000 it opens up to include entry level Colt and other manufacturers.

The basic 600 dollar guns are perfectly good, nothing wrong with them.
Then you can upgrade in the future. Buttstock, handguard, sights, etc etc.

If you're interesting in building your own and want clear, correct and unbiased instruction
go to the Brownell's web site and look up their online tutorials. In fact, they also have
1911 and other do-it-yourself tutorials. You're interested in both handgun and rifle.
Go to Brownell's and look up those videos.

AR15, YouTube and other sources have instructions, but you can trust Brownell's.

Forum: That M4 carbine forum is way way way way better than other AR forums.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I have a basic Bushmaster Patrolman that has been great for thousands of rounds. Would be a good model to use as a base and tweak/upgrade over time, while enjoying and using it right from the start.

The only one I have heard a few negatives about is the Carbon model (plastic receiver?). Although, that seems to be the one that everyone around here puts on sale for a low priced leader item.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
80 Posts
Palmetto State Armory is hard to beat. They have complete MOE blem lowers for $179 right now. I have bought several of their "Blem" items and can find nothing wrong with Them. One of their Black Friday sale items got put on Facebook today, $299 for a complete upper with BCG.

That's becomes a $500 rifle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a Windham Weaponry a couple years ago and have had no problems with it. They have great customer service and are very active on ar15.com if you have any questions or problems. I would definitely give them a look . Right around your price point.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I can build a Palmetto State Armory with an FN barrel for around $600.00 to $650.00 any day of the week now. If I were going for a budget AR, and couldn't afford a Colt LE6920 that's where my money would be spent.

I have a Palmetto State Armory upper with a Bravo Company bolt carrier group on a Spikes lower, and it is a friggin' tack driver. I like it as much as my BCM and my Colt, maybe a touch more because it shoots so dang good.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Thanks, Intresting read, My only question is did the guy say in the report after 10,000 to 20,000 rounds you need to get another AR15?
New rifle? No. You'd probably want a new barrel though after that many rounds though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just built my first one from PSA.

Complete Upper-PSA M4 - 16'' CMV CL Upper - With BCG and Charging Handle $404

PSA Lower/Parts kit and buttstock- $87

PSA Stripped Lower (PSA shipping mistake no postage and a good deal on 2 Lowers) $49+$20FFL fee.

$560 and I have another Lower for $49

I will not be able to shoot it until this weekend and I can't wait.

BTW my wife thinks PSA is the devil site but think its great and if you watch they do have great deals.

$570

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Palmetto State Armory is hard to beat. They have complete MOE blem lowers for $179 right now. I have bought several of their "Blem" items and can find nothing wrong with Them. One of their Black Friday sale items got put on Facebook today, $299 for a complete upper with BCG.

That's becomes a $500 rifle.
That is a smokin' deal! I wonder how many they will have and how many seconds it will take to run out!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Palmetto Armory looks really good, Thanks for the recommendation!
http://grabagun.com/palmetto-state-armory-m4-orc-16-556-mil-spec.html

That's their baseline carbine length model with Wilson made barrel, friend of mine real-time ordered one from this outfit a couple months ago no problems, you'd need a FFL then a rear sight but it's what you need :p I owned one myself but traded it for something else, I'd buy another if I needed a off the shelf AR for something (own 4 now with 2 builds in progress)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Palmetto Armory looks really good, Thanks for the recommendation!
There's always Surplus Arms and Ammo near by Tacoma. They probably will have what you will need, less shipping. Of course, tax will get ya!:dope:
I would go the build route, it's fun and satisfying. :rock:

Best regards,
Joseph

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
There's always Surplus Arms and Ammo near by Tacoma.
Joseph
Akuriko, sometimes I buy parts from Surplus Arms and Ammo,
they're good people and have their own line of lowers.
If you live near by, stop by and visit. They'll show you
LOTS of things about building. You'll be happy for the education.
You'll pay tax, but you'll save shipping and FFL fees.
:)

Palmetto (PSA) is also good, but have a habit of waiting weeks and weeks
before shipping your goods. They get too busy, with too few staff.
It can take weeks to get shipped, or you may get lucky.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts