1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I purchased an Arcus 94 model pistol from AIM Surplus. Cost was $220 covering the pistol, 2 10rd magazines, a cleaning rod, and a trigger lock.

The pistol comes in a cardboard box with a plastic liner that leaves a nice dirty dust on all its contents. The pistol and magazines had a thin layer of grease on them. All cleaned up easily with a standard strip down and cleaning.

The fit and finish of the pistol would make me expect it to cost more than $200. There are no unfinished or sharp edges, the slide to frame fit is excellent and barrel fit is very good.

The sights are fairly small in that they are so low to the slide pick-up isn't as fast as it could be. However, they are pretty accurate once aquired. Three-dot configurations tend to confuse my eyes so I may black out the back 2 and leave the front white. The good thing is that they are dovetailed so replacement is an option.

The hogue-style wrap-around grips are a bit thick for my tastes.

The included mags look cheap but fed every single round I put through them today (all FMJ Winchester).

While I've read about the frequency of hammer bite with hi-powers and the clones, I had not one incident of it in my range session today.

Thumb safety is left-side only and seems quite similar to the newer-style Browning safety. It is quite easy to find and disengage. However, I can NOT re-engage the safety with my thumb, I have to use a finger from my supporting hand. After a grip swap I am hopping this will change. I do not think the re-engagement problem is due to tightness of the safety but accessibility and contour as when disengaged it sits so close to the grip.

The trigger pull seems okay. I can feel the grittiness of the magazine disconnect when pulling the trigger with no magazine in and then with a magazine. After another range session to verify the pistol will continue to function properly, I'll be removing the magazine disconnect.

Now a note on accuracy. I have to say here that I am no pistolsmith or competition shooter. In fact, it has been some time since I have even been able to shoot. For the first few mags, I was shooting a little low and left and my groups were fairly poor. After loosing up a bit and getting comfortable with the pistol, my POI and groupings improved dramatically. I would suspect with some more range time that this pistol will prove as accurate as I will be able to shoot it.

I ordered a 2 15rd KRD mags from CDNN and they were at the house when I got home tonight. I disassembled them and they were very clean inside (although getting the baseplates off was quite difficult). The mag lips and followers had nice smooth edges. I lightly lubed the insides of the mags, reassembled, and loaded with 15rds into each. Per what I've read on the message boards, I will let them sit at least a week to get the springs broke in.

I have a set of Navidrex diamondwood rosewood palmswell grips on the way. I will update this after my next range session with the new grips and new KRD mags.

Sorry no pics at this time but I will get some up as soon as I can.

Finally, I must give thanks to Stephen Camp for all the info he and his website have provided about the venerable Hi Power. His range reports, stories, techincal support have all helped me to decide on buying a Hi Power style pistol and given me the understanding of how it works and how to work on it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks Pro,

A good report.

I too picked up one from AIM two weeks ago. I cut the fingergrooves off the sides with a razor blade and sliced down the grip on the safety side. The grips feel pretty good, but are not the best looking. It has allowed me to engage the safety with my thumb. The first 200 rounds were all over the place, mostly low with 9 or 10 failing to extract. I was using KRD mags and I think the mag was overpowering the recoil with my reloads. No failure's with the 10 round mags.
I think the gun is attractive and the more I look at it the more I appreciate it's quality and a sort of modern angular up date to the traditional Hipower in looks. The grip is more user friendly to me than my Mark III with zero worries about hammer bite.
My last 100 rounds were on the money at 15 yards and only one failure to ex. Im assuming it's breaking in. If it can be trusted it is a great bargin and a sleeper in the gun world. I havn't found such a value since I bought the HS2000 for $275.

Footnote: I took the mag. safety out before shooting. My trigger is getting better and breaks as clean as the hipower after you do it. Took about 10 minutes and makes one hell of an improvement.l
Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello, Pro Carry Paul, and thank you for the kind words. Sound like your Arcus will please. I've only shot one of these and it was reliable with ball and the following JHP ammo:

Remington 115-gr JHP +P

Federal 115-gr JHP

Federal 124-gr Nyclad HP

I also fired a few handloads using Hornady 124-gr XTP bullets with the cartridges loaded to LOA of 1.11." They worked fine.

The pistol shot about 3" for me at 15 yards and perhaps an inch-and-a-half larger at 25 yards. There was very little variation in group size between the loads.

The particular pistol had a pretty rugged trigger pull and I suspect that I was inducing enough human error to mask which of those loads the gun "liked." There was not time for reshooting from a rest.

On the Hi Powers, I've found that one usually gets up to about a 15% reduction in trigger pull by removing the magazine "safety." I have NOT tried this with the Arcus nor shot one that has had the disconnect removed.

Good, honest report you did and please keep us updated on your observations of this pistol.

Best and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Great report. Looking forward to hearing how yours does with the new grips. I changed mine out, first for a set of thumb rest HP grips, later for a set of stock walnuts.

I found that mine continued to improve until I reached about 600 rouonds or so and then just settled in. Let us know how yours does next time out. IMHO, it's another great value gun and like the other import from Bulgaria, way underpriced for what you get.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ythe grips definitely look better. the coloration on them isn't as even as i'd like but hey they were $45 not $75! they really made the pistol feel better in my hand and made getting the sights on target quicker.

blacking out the 2 rear white dots and just leaving the front also helped me out quite a bit.

i have yet to try the KRD mags, hopefully this coming week...

·
Registered
192 Posts
PCP

Great looking Arcus,and good to see it's a shooter!!
I have a matte black version that will soon be OD green with black Navridex grips,we'll have to compare pics....
I may have to try your idea with the sights before switching 'em out.:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also have had a good experience with the SA Arcus 94 that I purchased a few years back when they were imported by Miltex (now defunct) and Dominion Import Group (my example).

After cleaning the initial packing grease of the gun, I went straight to the range with one thirty year old factory FN magazine and 200rds of ball ammo and proceded to shoot the pistol until it failed. It never did. Perfect function and good accuracy but the sights are both on the small and short side. My example has a pretty decent trigger-pull. Not really that gritty. I'd say on par with the current real FN-made example. The safety was easy to release but kinda hard to reach to re-apply. Small but precise. The only real flaw I can find on this fine pistol.

The Arcus 94 is very precisely assembled and fitted. Much, much better than any F.E.G. I've ever owned or shot. Very good forged steel. A tremendous bargain for $220.00 wholesale. I love mine.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
richard, if you look at your pic, then mine, notice that mine has some extra material on teh right side just ahead of the grip and above the trigger area? any idea why some models are that way?

·
Registered
197 Posts
The two tone has a trigger finger groove, just like a 1911. This allows a small finger to have more reach. I believe this is what you refer to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello to all. Question on the Arcus - I have seen some with an ambi saftey and most without but I can not seem to find the difference on the models. Any info?

Also, I have read that standard Hi Power parts will fit in the Arcus, is this true? Point being, can I put a standard Hi Power ambi safety in an Arcus? Thanks.
Matt

·
Registered
554 Posts
MattinAZ said:
Hello to all. Question on the Arcus - I have seen some with an ambi saftey and most without but I can not seem to find the difference on the models. Any info?

Also, I have read that standard Hi Power parts will fit in the Arcus, is this true? Point being, can I put a standard Hi Power ambi safety in an Arcus? Thanks.
Matt
Internally the 94s seem to be identical. Externally is a different issue. So while a conventional ambi safety might work it would probably need some fitting.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm expecting mine sometime this week.

Will post a report when I do.

Will also get to look over the other 3 or so full-size guns in the shipment plus a compact or two for a little broader view of QA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts