1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am making the plunge into the Hi-Power arena with the Arcus 94. The overwhelming concensus I have found is favorable.

I lucked into one for 212.00 delivered, NIB. I am sending the funds out tomorrow or Monday and should have the gun in hand by sometime next week.

I intend to have some trigger work done and replace the grips with a nice wood set, maybe Ahrends. Stippling or checking has crossed my mind but I am not sure if it will need it.

A trip to Robar for Rogaurd or NP3 is not out of the question.

Do I need to replace the sear and hammer for a good trigger job?

Another thing I am pondering is what sights to use. It is my understanding that the sights are not interchangable. I was hoping maybe Wilson could do there 463 sight, as I prefer it over Novak night sights. I'll have to check.

The sights are my biggest delima and I would appreciate the opinions of forum members on this matter.

My smith said removing the magazine disconnect ( the device that prevents it from firing if the mag is released ) but I would prefer to leave it in tact if possible. What are the forums opinions on this, as the gun may be carried for self defense on occasion?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a arcus94, it is a well made b h-p clone. the trigger is fine as is. as far as i know there no cast parts. it is a quality made handgun. for any price. If it was made here in the US.....it would cost considerably more. i used a pachmyer adjustable rear sights. it comes with the three dot set-up.on top and center of the arcus slide....theres a serigation line that runs froint to rear. youll have to file the rear part of the serigation...so that you rearsights will lay flat. with adjustable rearsights,you dont have to change out the froint sites. i have put thousands of rounds through my arcus,normal ware. it seem to be made of hard steel. the one i have is accurate. and it never has failed me. all b h-p mags fit,i have alot of 17rounders as well as 13rounders. all work perfectly...never hade any problems.congrat on you new gun.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I have not fired an Arcus, but one I (regrets) passed up at a show some time ago looked and felt very well made. Think it was $200 (and a private sale!). Wouldn't pass one up again like that!

I'd get rid of the magazine disconnect feature. It serves no purpose if you keep your finger off trigger/out of the trigger guard except when you intend to actually pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The Arcus 94 is a good solid performer. I doubt I would sink a lot of money into. You will not get your money back if you sell it. As to grips, I have always liked Ahrends but a friend had some real problems dealing with them. He wasn't please with the color of the wood, returned them, and they charged him a restocking fee. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A gunsmith friend of mine where I work has recommended changing the springs in the Arcus and disconnecting the 'magazine required to fire' mechanism. He will be performing that feat for me.

Basically I will probably go with some Navidex (spelling) in some blackwood grain that will look decent with the two tone look of the gun, factory 13 round or SA 17 round mags and I want to add night sights of some sort.

The only problem I am having is getting a source for night sights.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I was going to get an Arcus a couple years ago based on Duane Thomas's review in a magazine. I ended up getting an EAA Witness.

I've had good results with the Witness but I probably should have got the Arcus.

Congrats. I'm sure it will go down as one of your best buys.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I like my Arcus, but it doesn't quite have the BHP "look" since the slide is untapered. The mag disconnect was removed in less than 10 minutes using a hammer, nail, and the instructions from the browning hi-power forum (can't remember the url off-hand). BIG improvement. Just be aware that these things come packed in foul smelling grease, so the first impression is POOR. Clean her up before you make a permanent impression. I need to add an ambi safety, new grips, and maybe some new sights before mine is battle ready. The SA 17 rnd mags are nice and well built. The springs are strong, so loading up to max is TOUGH. It can overpower the Arcus recoil spring with ease, making for some FTFs until the mag empties out a little. My mags are sitting around fully loaded for a few weeks, hopefully that will relax them a little. Nice buy for the price. LAter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts