1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to 1911s and also a lefty. Other than installing an ambi-safety are there any models that have reversible mag-releases or any other points that might make them more "lefty friendly"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
941 Posts
A company called Randall made some complete mirror image lefty stainless mil-spec pistols in the early 80's...Very high quality pistols...Hard to find now because of collector interest...As I recall someone on this forum had one....

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm a lefty too. All you really need is the ambi-thumb safety. You can manipulate the rest of the controls well without any 'lefty' parts. Use the trigger finger to trip the slide release and the mag release. I have never found it to be a problem. Some right handed guys get the ambi-mag release to allow them to use their trigger finger to drop the mags. I think it's quicker that way and you don't have to shift the pistol to do it.

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
While an ambi-safety is needed by a southpaw, it is best to eschew any other specialty parts. The normal slide stop and magazine release can be operated with the left hand's index finger. It may be helpful to install a mag release spring with slightly less tension.

Rosco

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
S&A makes an ambi mag release. FWIW.

Actually, 3 companies made or offered mirror image 1911's. Randall (the first), Falcon Industries and Safari Arms. Only the first two were ever seen, AFAIK.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I am left handed also. I think the ambi safety is all you need.To me the mag release is easier to operate with your trigger finger than the thumb . I have a Beretta 92 that has reversible mag release.After a few mag changes with it set up for a left handed shooter I switched it back

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
T_Smith,

To echo what has already been said above, there is NO need to look for a specialty 1911. I avoided 1911s for many years simply because I "knew" that they were essentially right-handed guns, based upon my experiences with them in the Army. In the end, I found that this faulty assertion just resulted in a lot of wasted time.

Once you have a quality ambidextrous safety fitted (like an Ed Brown unit), you will be amazed at how easy it really is for a southpaw to master this sidearm. I've gotten to the point where I much prefer to release magazines with my trigger finger, and I simply can't think of any other worthwhile incompatibility issues.*

The 1911 is surprisingly well-suited for left handed operation (especially considering the age of the basic design), and I suspect that if you went out and bought one tomorrow, you would soon reach the same conclusions. Buy with confidence!

Chuck

* Rosco is correct, however, in that some factory guns MAY have a very stiff mag release spring. Solution: buy the Wolff mag release spring set and use the strongest one that will still permit fast and reliable activation of the release by your left index finger. You may not even notice this phenomenon with a Kimber or a Wilson, but you probably will with a Colt (or perhaps even a Springfield). The idea is to have enough spring tension on the release to keep it from inadvertently ejecting the magazine when bumped, etc. I've only had one 1911 where this proved to be a problem (Colt Combat Commander), and after swapping out the springs, I've never encountered a problem.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Except for the thumb safety, the 1911 is really a good gun for a lefty. With an ambi safey, I switch back and forth with no functioning problems, although I am still working on the aim.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The 1911 is perfect for lefties with an ambi safety. I like the mag release button where it is. I'm actually training myself to hand rack the slide after a reload from slide-lock to get out of the habit of using the slide STOP (not release) to drop the slide. When I shoot Sigs or GLocks I can't use the slide stop and end up fumbling. With the hand rack it is as universal as you can get (hmmm, methinks someone can come up with a good joke on that last line
. I find the Kimber mag release button to be a little stiff vs the one on my COlt, but maybe it is just new. Later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts