1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've taken the plunge (Concept VIII), I need to know if there are any problems with Baer magazines?

I'll probably use my Wilson's anyway, but I don't want to throw a perfectly good Baer mag in a drawer if they function OK.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Congrats on your new iron. Baer mags are supposedly on par with Wilson's. Good stuff.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Congrats, Shane. My experience has been good. I've got 4 mags from Baer, and they're my favorites. I did have one that misfed the last round out a couple of times, so called Baer to ask what might be wrong. They said lips might be stretched (damaged in shipping, who knows), "but don't think twice about it, throw it away", and they express mailed another one out to me. Now have 2 7-rd and 2 8-rd Baers. No problems. Have friends that our total comes to 16 Baer Mags, and mine was the only one that ever bobbled. Know of a couple of Wilson mags that failed similarly new, so would say they are very comparable reliability wise. Just be sure and try them all first, before putting any faith in them (I'm guessing you already do that though).

Have fun with the new Concept. I've got a TRS and am already saving up for another one. For what it's worth, my carry mags are now the Baers.

[This message has been edited by gm45 (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
479 Posts
I havn`t had a problems with them.. I`d say they are close to my Wilsons, but not quite as good.. My only complaint with them is the top edge bumps the mag catch upon insertion (more than my other mags) making a indention/gash on the top edge of the mags.. I never liked that about any magazine, they should form that area like mec-gar does to blend better with the mag catch.. IMO.. -Gilmore

------------------
ME,WE!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
My new Heavyweight monolith has had some problems with magazines. I picked up 7 mags with the gun (10mm) and have only had one range session with it. I shot 715 rnds and found that several mags (3 or 4) would feed 6 rnds, jam the 7th against the base of the barrel and the bottom of the slide and leave the last on in the magazine.

Drop the mag, slide comes home, close the mag and continue shooting.

I emailed Baer and he said to try again and determine which mags are bad and then send them back so he can look at them.

My other Baer's (45 and 38super) have absolutely been 100% reliable so this may be a fluke.

I will be out testing next week and should know quickly which ones to send back.

------------------
10mm and 357 Sig; the best things since the 38 Super!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Just an update on my monolith. It turned out that my problem was ammo dependent. When I tried more tame "match" loads instead of "hunting" loads reliablity is 100%. I think the 10mm may be a bit undersprung, so I emailed Baer to ask for help.

------------------
10mm and 357 Sig; the best things since the 38 Super!

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello, Shane and all.

First, I do not own a Baer, but shoot one weekly that a buddy does. It's the "TRS".

He's used Baer pistols for a couple of years now and we've experienced no problems with Baer magazines until he ordered some new ones in the recent past.

They feed 100%, but do not engage the hold open on the last shot and the follower cocks its front end upward such that the slide doesn't go all the way foreward, either. I suspect that this problem might be limited to a specific batch of magazines.

In any event, that's the only problems I've seen with Baer's magazines.

Best.

[This message has been edited by Stephen A. Camp (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gentlemen,
The responses are appreciated - thank you.
Shane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts