1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a Baer.

What is the general experience with Baer's regarding ammo sensitivity. Do they, like Wilson's, come with a reccomended ammo list?

I have two Wilson's that are nice shooters and very accurate. The trade-off is they seem to have achieved this accuracy at the expense of being unable to feed cheap Ball. My less accurate Colts will eat anything.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The only ammo Les Baer recommends for his guns (when I called) was American Eagle Red Box 230gr.(Federal).I have been lucky with mine, it feeds my reloads flawlessly.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have owned my P2 since 96.It eats everything I put in it. I have shot all different kinds of ammo from match to crap reloads to yes dare I say it Wolf(one box). If there was a problem it has always been a case buldge or bad oal.I mostly shoot my reloads and I load them untill I loose them or they split;) Buy the Baer you shouldnt be disappointed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i have a very old pll, it has a 2xxx serial number and it will feed absolutely any round i put in it and never hiccup. just about the only way i can even make a slight malfunction is with a reload that the primer is not fully seated on, and then a nudge of the slide and it locks up and fires. i shoot everything from 230 ball down to powr ball, black talons, golden sabres, gold dots, 200 gr lswc, 200 gr jhp,corbons, glasers, tritons, pmc, s&b, 185 jhp,,if it is 45 acp my baer will shoot it.:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I haven't shot a huge variety out of my gun so I am not qualified to say. For the most part, my Winchester USA 230gr FMJ shoot fine.

The only thing that I can say is that if you don't care for American Eagle then you will be running the risk that if your new LB firearm malfunctions that Les Baer will say "shoot American Eagle" to "fix" the problem. Don't get me wrong, they will look for your problem but it does say something when that seems to be one of the first words out of their mouth.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have owned six Baer 1911s. I still own five of them. The Stinger that I had was a little ammo sensitive especially with light 185gr loads. The other ones have not been finicky at all. Watch-Six

·
Registered
352 Posts
never a problem with my TRS. Eats damn near everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have used the Wally stuff Winchester 230 Grain fmj.
1500 Rounds not 1 jam. $19.00 - 100 rds. Black Hills 230 Grain jhp - Federal 230 grain Hydra Shok jhp - Perfect reliable shooting machine, and accurate with the cheap stuff as well.

Success:D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why does Baer recommend only one brand of ammo if his guns will function well with so many other brands?

·
Registered
352 Posts
it's probably because Federal AE is what LBC test fires the guns with.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I finally had a failure in my PII, when I tried a new super-light target load of 3.5 Clays under 185 LSWCHP. (This was intended for NRA Bullsye 25-yard line. Experimenting with using my PII as a backup gun to my Rock River for Bullseye.)

Wouldn't feed worth a darn. It was the first time I ever had a failure. It was also the first time I used a Redding crimp die, instead of the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It was the first time I used this weight of this powder. It was the first time I tried a lighter recoil spring (#12) in the PII. That's too many "firsts". (These rounds also would not feed/eject reliably in my Rock River either.)

Usually I shoot IPSC loads that are much "stronger"; but still various bullets, such as LSWC, LRN, plated SWC, and FMJ. Slightly varying powder charges, of Titegroup, Win 231, Red Dot, AA#5, Clays, and Bullseye. (I'm an experimenter.) Never had a failure of any kind with any of these.

Overall I'd been very impressed with how the PII handles "everything" with the Wolff Variable Rate #16.5 Recoil spring. Up until I tried changing the spring and using the super-light loads. Might still be just too 'tight' for these, I don't have much more than 1500 round through it yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thunder Ranch

My Thunder Ranck eats Fiocch, S&B, Wolf and WInchester white box and has never hiccupped or belched. Ditto for my Colt Gunsite.

HiCap

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bought a P II around this time last year and as far as function goes it has no preference in ammunition. No problems of any kind with any brand of factory ammuntion that I have tried. Some are more accurate than others but all go down range without a hitch. It is also amazingly indifferent to the magazines I use. Except for trimming the Wilson slam pad they all seem to work just fine. Just keeps getting smoother and smoother.

DJR

·
Registered
238 Posts
DJR - did you mean to say that trimming the Wilson slam pad made for failures or did you just mean that it was an inconvenience?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Didn't mean to imply failures, the magazine just wouldn't seat without a lot of applied force. No real inconvenience involved and easily remedied. DJR

·
Administrator
13,369 Posts
I also have an early PII #13xx . Other than an occasional badly seated/bad crimp reload [my fault] , it has digested any ammo I have fed it . Hollow points by Fed , Win , Rem , CCI and Horn . Also , any ball ammo .
It's a keeper !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the replys. This un-scientific poll of annecdotal evidence supports what I have heard elswhere.

That is that Baers feed very very reliably. And that seems to defy the logic of the camp that says Baers are too tight and tight is less reliable that loose until you get too loose.

There are many variables and no way to answer these things definitively without very controlled experiments and tests but the answers in this post are what I suspected.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine has fed everything I have ever given it with great enthusiasm. From hardball to old-style Gold Dot hollowpoint designs (they were really odd bullets and I never thought they would feed right, but they did.)

Buy one and don't worry. But remember:

Friends don't let friends shoot Wolf.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts