1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can buy a more accurate gun than a Colt, if I spend a bunch more cash. But in terms of reliability and function are Colts the best?

Not that it really matters what you say, since I'll probably buy a Colt anyway, but I figured I'd ask.

-SS

·
Registered
126 Posts
Back when I bought mine, in 1985-1986, Colt was known as the most reliable. The clones at that time were Springfield, Auto-Ordnance, Randall and AMT. I was warned by experienced shooters to stay away from the clones due to reliability and durability issues.

At that time, the only thing that the clones had to offer was a lower price.

I would not trade my Govt. Model or Commander for anything on the market today.
Mine have been very reliable.

I have not fired any of the current clones.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with an original Colt.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think the new Colts are the most reliable thing out there today. Just take a little time and read the posts around here and you will soon note that Colt is getting more positive comments as far as feeding and reliability are concerned.

I get to run the range for my agency, that allows me to see and shoot a lot of different guns. The Colts I have seen and shot are great, they feed and function right. There are no broken extractors, or slide stops, no tight or egg shaped chambers showing up, they just plain work.

I have had the chance to shoot several brand new 90 series Colts in the past week, each performed as expected with the exception of my brand new Defender, the rear sight was drifted left, I corrected that and it is right on at 25 yards.

I dont think you can beat the Colt, and if you dont like it and want to sell it off, the Colt retains resale value a lot better than some of the other copies.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Southernshark.....
I've shot a 91A1 Government Model Colt for 10 years now. After thousands of rounds, 1 FTF (my fault), no broken parts, still looks good, and even feeds empty brass straight from the factory. Sold on Colt.
SamColtFan

·
Registered
286 Posts
I believe that Colt is extremely reliable and in fact just bought a new one. Also sold off two Kimbers recently if that says anything. I have had a Colt for about 10 years now. I don't think that you will hear any complaints from anyone here.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I can tell you the Colts are as reliable as any. And if you have a problem you can't figure out. Post the problem and suggestions of most likely problem will be given on any gun. Colt 1991s and other 80s now are very good. I don't have actual experience with the current clones. But Colt is still in the running with the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Combat Target is as close to 100% reliable as anything mechanical can be. I bought it in 1997 and it probably has 30,000+ rounds on it.The vast majority of these were 200 gr. SWC reloads.The only changes I've made on it are a set of thin grips and narrowing the front sight to .090. It's my Duty/IPSC/IDPA/Steel gun. I can only think of 4 or 5 fail to fire problems and these were caused by high primers.

I got a Defender in January and have put about 500 rounds through it without any problems.

My Gold Cup was bought in '85 or 86. It ejected the rear sight a couple years ago, but has never had any functioning problems.

I've also had a few other Series 70 Colts (kicking my rear for getting rid of them) that were always very reliable. They were also not modified beyond changing grips. I think this is why my guns have always worked.I don't try to "improve" them. Most of the problems I've seen in 1911's are the result of someone thinking they were smarter than John Browning.

As long as I have the choice, I'll carry a Colt. Mine have never let me down.

HOWEVER...Don't get the idea that I think Colts are the absolute best guns ever made.I've had Sigs, Berettas and S&Ws that were all reliable and accurate.In fact, my alternate duty gun is a 4" S&W 625.I can shoot it better than my Colt but it gets kinda heavy by the end of a 10-12 hour shift.

Jeez..this got kinda long

·
Registered
293 Posts
i have two 1991A1 colts, both full size. i carry the older one on duty and off with me every day. the other is the newer version with the stainless barrel. these guns have been 100% out of the box. i put wood grips on them, and night sights on the one i carry. anything man made is subject to break, i just don't think anyone told my colts this!!!!!

my brother has a kimber pro carry that has been great out of the box. he also has a springfield loaded that had some problems in the begining, these are good guns, but i will prob stay with colt!

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Nighthawk:

HOWEVER...Don't get the idea that I think Colts are the absolute best guns ever made.I've had Sigs, Berettas and S&Ws that were all reliable and accurate.In fact, my alternate duty gun is a 4" S&W 625.I can shoot it better than my Colt but it gets kinda heavy by the end of a 10-12 hour shift.

No worries there, I already own a Glock (and a closet full of assault rifles).... But I reckoned that Colt were probably the best 1911's (not the most reliable guns ever). From what I've heard it sounds like Colt is a good choice. When I get a 1911, I'm getting a Colt.

-SS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts