1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They began making 1911's with Investment Castings, when did they change the process?

Where is the plant located and WHO manufacturers the frames/slide from the raw materials?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I believe all loaded model frames and slides are forged. Not sure about milspecs though. Really I'm not sure about any of them, but I swear I can remember the latest springfield catalog saying that they are forged.

The frames are mfg in Brazil, by a very reputable company, IMBEL. Not cheap imports, good stuff. I believe that the guns are shipped here as parts, then assembled in the US. I had also heard a rumor that SA was planning on having the frames shipped here as 80% complete, and doing the final machining here in order to avoid some import taxes.

Brian

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jedibrain said:
I believe all loaded model frames and slides are forged. Not sure about milspecs though. Really I'm not sure about any of them, but I swear I can remember the latest springfield catalog saying that they are forged.

The frames are mfg in Brazil, by a very reputable company, IMBEL. Not cheap imports, good stuff. I believe that the guns are shipped here as parts, then assembled in the US. I had also heard a rumor that SA was planning on having the frames shipped here as 80% complete, and doing the final machining here in order to avoid some import taxes.

Brian
I know IMBEL very well. I'mma recovering FAL-oholic. IMBEL FAL receivers are forged, yet the M1A's are certainly CAST. They have both types of machinery. I never put the connection together between SA and Imbel.......you'd think I would with an Springfield Armory IMBEL SAR-4800 in .223.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's what SA's website says:

Every Springfield 1911 begins with a forged frame and slide as the foundation for a true custom-quality pistol. In addition, Springfield forged frames and slides are hardened in the tradition of John Browning's discriminating specifications. While some of today's 1911 manufacturers use investment castings or non-standard specifications when producing their components, Springfield's commitment to quality remains absolutely stringent, as does its dedication to the grand and honored tradition of the 1911

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yet Rrotz has conclusively proved that Springfield is lying with his 'sound test'. Guess I should ask for my money back.

·
Registered
281 Posts
IMBEL Industria de Material Belico do Brasil is the company that manufactures the forged slides and frames.
Here is a link to their web site and it is in English.
http://www.imbel.gov.br/ingles/i_principal

SA guns are manufactured at the ITAJUBA plant.
http://www.imbel.gov.br/espanhol/e_principal.asp

BTW their English version of their website are not as detailed and infrmative as their Spanish or Portugues sites. At least you better have some Spanish knowlodge if you want to read all the info they have on their site which is very interesting. They make a .223 FAL too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts