1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this suggestion after doing some searches. Is this confirmed? If you buy the light rail are you getting a caspian (instead of kimber) cast frame not forged?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
BM:
Don't know about the others, but Wilson's CQB Light Rail offering is currently a Caspian (Cast Frame/Forged Slide). Doesn't really matter to me, Caspian has a lifetime guarantee on its cast frame.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Springfield's light rail frames are supposed to be forged, at least that is what Deb from the custom shop told me.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Everything I've read about Wilson is that their standard 1911 frames are forged, but the light rail frame is a cast Caspian. The Caspian cast frames are well made and with a lifetime warranty, you're covered.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yep, as KB said above, the Willy rail is a Caspian Recon frame which is cast rather than forged. There are posts here on the forum which will explain to you how some cast frames are stronger than forged. Mine, a non-catalog stainless Protector with rail, is used in my work as a leo and I have not had any concern about strength raised by me or my superiors. The Caspian warranty is very clear as is the one provided by Wilson. It is a great pistol!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just got my new Wilson catalog and they show their light rail CQB as a standard forged frame with an add on light rail similar to dawson precision. That being said I have a 2003 model CQB with rail and was told by Wilson that it was a Caspian frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
S/S light rail CQB

I have a non-catalog all stainless CQB with light rail and have had no trouble or concerns - I do believe it to be a caspian frame as well. :cool:
I have noticed though that there is no longer a stainless light rail gun in any model in the catalog. I e-mailed to get a stainless CQB compact to go with my government model and wanted it too to have a light rail. They said "no can do". I suggested a full size Protector (with light rail) frame and a CQB compact slide - kinda like a Professional with a CQB name. They advised me that they were not producing light rail guns in S/S. :grumble:

Anyone know why? :confused:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
2 frames

At the SHOT show Wilson had 2 different rail frame models available. One is the model on the website and the other is a detachable rail similar to a Dawson but much thicker. I believe one frame was in-house and the other was a Caspian. Anyone have any more info?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Stainless rails are NLA from Wilson ... has Caspian or Wilson made that decision? As far as I know - and all that I've seen - that were stamped Wilson were built on stainless Caspian frames.

The curreent rails are detachable and - as of several weeks ago - either in very short supply or not available. With the investment in several duty / off-d holsters for the rail w and w/o light, I tried beacoup dealers to purchase stainless or blued with the detachable rail ... with no luck. Many of the older blued (Caspian) fixed rail frames are out there, but I was not able to find one of the new detachables or anything in stainless with the rail (excl KZ).

·
Registered
721 Posts
The new detachable rail guns are forged and available :)

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Something to consider, folks, is that Caspian has NEVER had a cast frame returned for a structural failure in the 22 years they've been in business, and they are all guaranteed for life. It isn't like Wilson went and snuck in something sub-par.

With MODERN castings from a REPUTABLE company, the main theoretical disadvantage of castings is cosmetics, not any real structural inferiority; you can get sharper lines, and better results from a high polish, with forged or barstock instead of cast parts generally. But Wilson paints their dang guns in Armor-Tuff, so this is a non-issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
cast frames

I always feel that people that bitch about INVESTMENT cast frames no nothing at all about modern metal production. Properly done investment cast frames are very strong, void free, and most important of all, need little final machining to final dimension.

Rugers are drop dead reliable--for instance---and investment castings save the ultimate user...US....a good deal of money.

People that thing the good old days with ranks of old guys with files and green eyeshades was the epitomy of quality.
NO NO NO
CNC machinery beats the hell out of the good old days.

Rant Off. I will take my medications now.

·
Super Moderator
1,868 Posts
I delivered one the detachable rail guns to a client and he was very pleased with it.

Something to think about on what one decides on is the advancement of technology. You do not wear a well made 1911 out. I still shoot a 1911 not an 1911A1 with a serial number that indicates it was made in 1918. Newer steels with alloy's have improved greatly over older steel. What wears and what doesn't.

With the advancement of technology in electronics what kind of light will you have on your gun in two years. Two years ago an L.E.D light was just coming into being now in many cases L.E.D is the light of choice and still mounted on a gun that will last at least 50 years with a little maintenance.

I get this question at guns shows quite a bit on the .45 or 1911 not feeding hollow points or will my Series 70 feed hollow points. I ask when it was made. The gun was made 30 or 40 years ago. What was ammo at that time. Little or no hollow point, so the gun was made to shoot the ammo at that time. Ammo has advanced also. Guns have to advance to meet the newer styles of rounds. i.e. throating, increased pressure or whatever.

Just a different perspective to look at things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts