1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum some people complained that they couldn't get tight groups with plated bullets compared to jacketed ones. I'm debating between plated bullets (West Coast, Berry, Rainer, Winchester, Remington) or jacketed (Montana Gold). The price difference between them is so small that it's a toss up. My concern with jacketed bullets is that they are harder on the barrel, and the recoil is sharper. What are your thoughts in terms of accuracy between plated and jacketed bullets? Also, is there a difference between different brands of plated bullets?

·
Registered
39 Posts
For what it is worth, I use Hardcast plated 230 gr FMJ plated bullets for practice/plinking as I can get them for $25 per 500, or less. I don't discern much recoil difference between plated vs. jacketed, only when it comes to powder type, bullet weight and charge. Accuracy is so-so with their bullets, as well as Rainiers, but Speer Gold Dot's and XTP's up the accuracy exponentially. Sorry this does not help you much.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I use plated bullets almost exclusively, except where gun club requires lead against falling plates. Have used Berry's and Rainier in the past, but finally settled on West Coast bullets because of cheaper cost and thicker plating. Accuracy is fine for me in all calibers (9, 38/357, 40 and 45) that they are used with. I will continue to use them.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
39 Posts
I will say that Hardcast allowed me to tour their shop and I watched the plating process first-hand, and saw that they resized the bullets after plating, and saw many at .451" +.0007, -.0000", so I am satisfied after mic'ing bullets myself and the price is OK at that. Also no big discernable difference in cleaning, just that it is better than lead.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
My have extensively used Laser Cast 200 swc lead bullets, west Coast 200 SWC plated, and varied jacketed bullets (mostly remington 230 ball).

In my experience the lead SWC's from Laser Cast are the most accurate and the best feeders. Groups open up noticeably with the West Coast 200 SWC plated - enough that I avoid them now. The Rem ball is better in accuracy than West Coast, but not as good as Laser Cast.

The plated SWC do not feed as well as the lead. The copper doesn't skip across the feed ramp as easily (an opinion shared with me by my smith). I have had a number of feed issues with the plated bullets that do not exist with lead or jacketed bullets.

I just ordered 2K of the Montana gold bullets and have run about 100 of them (230 ball, jacketed). I would say the quality and accuracy are as good or maybe a touch better than the Rem 230 ball.

Jacketed cleanup sure is a lot better too. Given the closeness in price, I will be buying jacketed bullets in the future. My indoor range doesn't allow exposed lead bullets. But I'll still use lead for outdoors, and for accuracy work, and for competition for that matter. They feed and make a clean hole, and they're the most accurate.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
I have three 1911s, .45 Kimber, .40 Kimber and a 9mm SA. I shoot West Coast plated in all three. 200 and 230 gr in .45, 180 gr in .40 and 147 gr in 9mm. All three guns group less than 1 1/4" @ 25 yds. The .40 Kimber goes under 1".
I sometimes shoot lead bullets (Valiant) outdoors. The price is hard to beat at $26M for 230 gr RN and $22M for 147 gr 9mm. People sometimes get hung up on accuracy. 3" groups are more than accurate enough for IPSC and IDPA.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. I've had good luck with plated bullets in calibers .38, .44, and .45ACP, but so-so in 9mm. My 9mm loads using cast bullets group well out of some makes of nines, and not so good out of others where the other calibers work pretty darned good in my revolvers or semis I've tried them in. I've not noted greater accuracy than with a quality hardcast bullet though.

Best.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used Precision bullets. They're good but a little pricey (when you add shipping) compared to plated ones (they're less but not that much less). Quality isn't too bad, but some of the bullets seem a little rough (gouged, not smooth, etc.). I've been using them pretty consistently but am interested in a change. Accuracy is okay but not great. Plusses are no smoke compared to lead bullets and easier cleanup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts