1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the mags that came with my Springfield are crap? And should I opt for Wilson mags? Just want total reliability for the longrun. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bufford -

So far the stock mags that came with my SA Champion have been the most reliable ones I have in that particular gun. My MecGars and CMC Shooting Stars don't work nearly as well.

Just my $.02

Tony

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
In recent years I really have no problems with the Springfield magazines, maybe it's the throating or whatever, but they seem to work fine. I think it's more of a psychological thing, I have more confidence in my Wilson mags, because they have always worked in my guns, and even made a couple of finicky feeders work reliably.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My Springfield TRP 1911 came with two stainless 7rd. mags with base pads - they have been flawless.

I used the cupon that came with the gun to buy 10 blued 7rd. Springfield mags @ $9 each to use for range mags. They also have been flawless.

I prefer 8 rd. mags for carry, though - that one extra shot could be crucial, so for carry I use Wilson Combat 47D mags or Chip McCormick 8 rd. Powermags - both have been flawless, too.

I wouldn't worry about the quality of Springfield mags - they are a good, basic reliable mag without the glamor that Wilson and McCormick mags have. It would be really stupid of Springfield Armory to try to compete in the 1911 arena by building good, solid reliable 1911s and then pair them with junk magazines. Really stupid! The competition in the world of 1911 builders is fierce, to say the least - reputation and reliability are very important.

As far as magazines, avoid Promag like the plague - I've heard more than enough to do so myself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Springfield magazines are for the most part made by Metalform and have always been very reliable for me. Rock River even supplies their pistols w/Metalforms.

·
Registered
881 Posts
When I bought my WWII GI Champion a few years ago, I used the coupon that came with it and bought the SA mags. I shot those mags, in rotation until I sold the gun, for many thousand rounds without any problems. I loaded, unloaded shot and then reloaded them so much I had to buy a loading device so my thumbs would not develop calicous the size of pecans. The went with the gun when I sold it to my best friend and he still shoots them today. I think they were about $8.00 each, if memorey serves me well.

That being said...they would not work worth a darn in my Kimber or my Wilson. I only use Wilson mags in both of those guns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally if I'm going to stake my life on somthing I want the best.I would always recomend Wilson mags,I've shot cometition for several years and Wilson is the only thing I trust.I have seen Wilson mags with over 60,000 rounds through them and function as if they were new.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've only had problems with 1 of the 6 or so SA mags I have (they all came with various pistol purchases).. basically a weak spring... doesn't matter, I bought 8 round CMC conversion kits (new spring and follower) and updated them to match my cache of 8 round CMC Shooting Star Mag.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I've got numerous springfield mags (ones that came with guns plus ones I bought with the coupon) and have yet to ever have a problem with one.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Test them in your gun. If they work, you're good to go. If not, mark them in some obvious way--so you never confuse the bad with the good--and use them as range mags for malfunction drills, and then get some new mags.

I prefer stainless for my "real world" mags for ease of maintenance, and I have a dozen or so famous-name stainless mags, but if a mag works in your gun, it works. An $8 SA factory mag that works is better than a $30 famous-name stainless mag that doesn't.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I have found the SA magazines to be reliable.
I have one Wilson magazine that when I slammed it in to reload, the base broke and tied up the gun. Haven't gotted around to sending it back yet.

If I had to state the magazines that I have had the best luck with it would be MagPack.
Jerry

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wouldnt say the SA mags are crap...I find them ok for plinking...but I wouldnt trust my life with them either I have never used them for carry. I had a lot of luck with CMC mags but I am now moving on to Wilson mags.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just like has been said above, you need to test your mags in the gun you plan to use them in to be sure they are reliable.

I've got Wilson mags that work great in some guns and not in others. The same goes for Metalform, Mc Cormick, and the SA mags. My Operator loves the SA mags and seems to hate most others, while my Champion doesn't like the SA mags at all.

The SA mags, made by Metalform, are built fairly well with decent springs and followers. The welded floorplate can come loose, although that isn't too common.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
479 Posts
My SA mags needed to be "broken in"...

I had to cycle the mags a few times to get them to function reliably... but, they still ended up in the range box...

My 8rd Mec-gars are what are in my holster right now with 230gr Rem GS rounds.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The SA metalform mags I have are so far 100% reliable (just over 1000 rounds)...the Wilson 47D's fail to lock the slide open on the last round sometimes. Too bad, I really like how much easier to load those mags are and they do look nicer, but the jack me up when the slide won't lock back on empty.

The SA mags are very good mags, especially in SA guns.

·
Registered
280 Posts
all of my SA mags work great, like everyone else has stated. the only mag i have ever had a problem with is my chip mccormick 8 round mag. it only acts up after my guns have aout 50-75 rounds though them in a session. for carry and reliability no matter what, wilson's 47d's are the way to go. to this day, i have never heard of any issues with these mags.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
At Coal Creek Armory, we have an indoor pistol range that's open to the public. I've solved a fair number of 1911 feeding problems and slidelock failures (failure to lock slide open on empty mag) by handing the vexed customer one of my Metalform 7rd mags. I often tell them that, if it won't run with my mag, they can keep the mag or throw it in the trash. I still have all 15 of my Metalform mags, and they continue to run 100%.:rock: BTW, I use Metalform part# 45-273, which has a nice locking, removable floor plate, which avoids the problem I've heard of with welded floor plates coming off.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have used mine with my Loaded Model with no issues. Also have used the Metalform in 10mm in my Delta with top results. No issues with Metalform mags

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I lost count of the thousands of rounds I put through my pistols using the stock Springfield mags. Never had a problem with a mag yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts