1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes them and or sell them? Are they really worth it? I'm not having any problems with the Colt ones, but I like to have spare parts on hand. I was think about getting one.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
All factory extractors are junk and should be replaced immediately (even Colt). Replace them with either Ed Brown or Wilson Combat Bulletproof. Personally, I would NEVER use anything but Wilson. But I've heard good things about the Brown.

Kimber extractors are MIM. LOL!!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I believe Les Baer has tooled steel parts as well, but I like Wilson's Bulletproof as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe I read in another post that someone got a "spring steel" extractor from Cylinder and Slide.Might want to check it out.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The "trick" set up for extractors is somewhat pricey but from those who have installed them, they say that they are well worth the cost.

AFTEC extractors run about $69 and use coil springs to put pressure on the case rim rather then having to bend the extractor itself to obtain the correct pressure.

I don't have one in my Springfield (and it runs fine) but I have friends who have installed them in their IPSC race guns and they swear by them.

The following link is one of many on the web that shows the extractor FYI.
http://www.gaspariassociates.com/aftec/aftec_ace.htm

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,006 Posts
C&S does make a spring steel extractor. I have been singing the praises of same, since that is the material specified in the specs - not "tool steel". My M1911 extractor gave up the ghost after eighty-three years of service, and my M1911A1 extractor lasted almost sixty; pretty good service life. Both suddenly went "soft". My C&S extractor lasted exactly two years. The hook broke off cleanly after something over 1500 rounds. C&S sent me a replacement at no charge, and Bill Laughridge assured me the expected service life is on the order of 20,000 rounds. So, while it is great that C&S stands behind their product, I can't have a suspect extractor in my carry gun. Anyone else using the C&S? How many rounds?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
So, Rick are you worried about the C&S now and asking for others with info?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
We recently switched to the C&S Spring steel extractors on many of our custom guns and for replacement duty, so I hope to have a larger sample of data to draw on soon. Our Pistolsmith is pleased with what he sees from Cylinder and Slide. (www.cylinder-slide.com)

I know that once soured on something it is hard to trust again - be it a product or a partner - but I know of NO manufacturer, to most especially include McCormick (MIM), Wilson and Ed Brown that has never turned out a bad part. That is why we all test and tune - and you are always the final inspector. I'd give C&S another try - Mr. Laughridge is a straight shooter and knows more about the 1911 design than about anybody. I would trust his word.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

PS - Bill makes Spring Steel Extractors for the Browning Hi-Power, too.

[This message has been edited by Col. Colt (edited 09-30-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,006 Posts
I have installed the replacement extractor that C&S sent me (Bill Laughridge personally followed-up on this matter, with two phone calls), and will test-fire it this weekend. My "project gun" also has a C&S extractor in it (fitted today), so I'll be giving both guns a workout over the next week or so. Although that won't address durability concerns, it'll make me feel better just to have the two guns in working condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts