1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I purchase some Para-Ordnance magazines, will they fit in STI double stack and Springfield high-cap guns?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
585 Posts
Para magazines will not fit in STI/SV frames because the taper at the top of the magazine is too wide.

A Para can be set up to run STI/SV mags by using a different mag catch.

Springfields can take either with the corresponding mag catch.

HTH.

[This message has been edited by strider (edited 03-20-2001).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Strider. I have a few additional questions though, if you don't mind answering.

Where can I obtain these "different" mag catches to modify say, a Springfield to take Para mags? Do I contact Springfield the manufacturer to obtain the appropriate part?

In addition, how do the para mags fit in Kimber polymer high cap guns? Does this use the same mag catch as the one used in teh springfield? Is this available from the manufacturer as well?

Obviously, im trying to find more information about high-cap 45's, and may be in the market for one. Out of the current crop of high-cap 45's on the market, who makes the best? I heard Para's metal was weaker due to the way it was made..is there any truth in this?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
STI makes tubes for para's. They will lock up on the standard para mag catch. You would only get 20 rds max in your mags. Para tubes and STI tubes are @ the same price. With the graham's extended pads you can stuff 21 rd's in the mags but it will run @ $100 for each complete mag.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Jim,

AFAIK, the mag catches are custom made (ie; welded and recut) by a gunsmith. I was told at one point that Springfield would have Para catch standard on the gun and an optional catch for STI/SV. The mag catch slot on the tube can also be modified.

If you want Para mags, I would reccommend those manufactured by STI. The materials and construction are much higher quality.

I'm not up to speed on the Kimber/Bul
frames, I think they use the Para height catch. Don't quote me on that, though.

The best high capacity frames are the STI/SV. For serious use I would avoid any double column 45. IMO and experience they are not capable of the same levels of reliability as a single stack 45.

Para Ordnance frames are castings, STI/SV are machined from barstock, Springfield are forged. I prefer the latter two over the former.

HTH,
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts