1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I will be buying a couple of new Colts here in the next month or so.

One for sure will be a new Commander model. This will be my Wife's gun.

I cannot decide if I should spend the extra money on a Series 70 Repro or just get a NRM 1991 Gov't model. I will be doing nothing to them, save trigger work if needed.

For those who have them both:

Is fit and finish equal? Is accuracy equal?

Thanks, Mark

·
Administrator
73,792 Posts
They are for all intents and purposes equal. The Series 70 has a nicer finish and bluing, and it is supposed to also come with a steel trigger and mainspring housing (the 1991 has an alloy trigger and plastic housing). The Series 70 of course lacks the firing pin safety, and the barrel has the standard mil-spec wide chamber hood (on the 1991 it is the narrow Gold Cup style). The Series 70 costs more than the 1991 simply because it's a niche market item intended to appeal to 1911 purists who detest changes to John Moses Browning's original design.

If none of that matters to you, then the 1991 is probably the better deal since overal quality, reliability, and accuracy is the same.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I might add that the Series 70 Repro comes from the Colt Custom Shop, so it should get a little more attention to detail and finish. I have 3 of the Colt Repros and they have the best out-of-the-box triggers I have seen on a new Colt in a long time.

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
Although there is not much difference in how it lauches lead, I would think the 70's series would be worth more money down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Looks like we are pretty much all in agreement - top one made in 1970 and bottom one from last year and, in all ways, identical twins in accuracy, fit & finish, reliability, and "shootability".

:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. Now I need to find one that has not been all scratched to heck in the gun store's glass case. The one I have found locally today was all scratched up.

I will see about getting one off of Gun Broker.

Thanks, Mark

·
Administrator
73,792 Posts
I've personally seen new S70's with scratches on them right out of the box. I've also noticed that the scratches or other marks are all in similar places on the ones I see, leading me to believe they might be getting scratched up by the racks they're stored on at each work station at the Colt factory.

That of course is aside from the Bubba marks the dealers let patrons add to them at no extra charge. When these pistols first came out in 2002 I was ready to buy the first one that came into my local dealer. While I was filling out the paperwork, one of the afromentioned Bubbas saw it lying on the glass case and picked it up. I didn't notice it until he started loudly yacking to his buddy about 1911's and this and that, and he started racking the slide back and forth. Well, before I could stop him his hand slipped and the pistol was shoved straight into the side of the glass case, putting a nice mark on the trigger guard. Anybody who ever wants to say I'm not a nice guy needs to hear this story, because I was a lot kinder and more forgiving to the dude than I should've been. He apologized but didn't offer anything in return, and the dealer had already discounted the price beforehand so I ended up taking a nicked-up brand new pistol home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow,

I would have been PISSED! :mad: You are a much more patient person than I am.

Where are the scratches you are seeing on these guns? The scratches on the one I saw were on the top right in front of the rear sight and behind the front sight.

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
1991s are fine guns BUT if you can spring for a 70s series, I say go for it. In my neck of the woods (if you can find them) a series 70 is only about a hundred bucks more than a NRM 1991....remember the 70 series is a Custom shop gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts