1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a thourough exam of my new to me sr1911. thing i noticed is that the slide fit is not too good. side to side play on the slide/frame. grip safety is rattling. the finish on the slide is uneven. trigger has up and down play.

So are these thing i should be concerned about? or is this about right for what i paid?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have my third SR1911, two 5" and one CMD and none of these exhibit any of the issues you describe. I'd call Ruger and get their take on your situation.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I was doing a thourough exam of my new to me sr1911. thing i noticed is that the slide fit is not too good. side to side play on the slide/frame. grip safety is rattling. the finish on the slide is uneven. trigger has up and down play.

So are these thing i should be concerned about? or is this about right for what i paid?
I've owned numerous 1911s including a Ruger with a little slop between the frame/slide and so long as the barrel and bushing fit together perfectly, accuracy should be there.

The original 1911s Colt made had looser tolerances than some of the 1911s available nowadays, but the reasoning for it was reliability...

The Ruger isn't a hand fitted 1911, rather a production gun, so it's not going to be of Ed Brown quality out of the box, but it aint too bad.

I'd be concerned with the finish on the slide and the loose grip safety...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the reason for my concern was that i was over at a freinds house and comparing the 1911 he has to mine. his were a springfield 1911A1 and StI trojan. Both had zero slop in the frame to slide.

i will call them on monday and see what they say

·
Registered
23,229 Posts
I also have a couple SR1911s and a SR1911CMD and they are on par with my SAs. I would shoot it first to see how it did and then if not happy call Ruger.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Call them? For what?! I really don't get what your complaint is here. It's tolerances aren't quite up to Wilson Combat's? Surprise, surprise. I'll never understand this kind of mentality. You bought a production grade 1911, a gun that typically sells for something like $650-$700. And you're surprised/disappointed/angry that it's not as tight as a hat band.

I only call Ruger when something on one of my Ruger firearms BREAKS. Which is another way of saying I don't call them much at all. If you're so put out by the fit of that SR1911, then one has to wonder why you bought it in the first place.

I know this is a ridiculous question before I ask it, but have you even shot this gun yet, OP? And if so, how does it shoot?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have better named 1911's that are older and fit like you mention. But they are reliable and accurate.

Bottom line you mention more then just a rattle on the slide fit. If your not happy call them. Worse they can say is tuff.But they may say send it in.....
It is your 650 to 700 dollars. Don't feel you have to spend 2k to be happy with your purchase no matter what anyone tells ya...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Call them? For what?! I really don't get what your complaint is here. It's tolerances aren't quite up to Wilson Combat's? Surprise, surprise. I'll never understand this kind of mentality. You bought a production grade 1911, a gun that typically sells for something like $650-$700. And you're surprised/disappointed/angry that it's not as tight as a hat band.

I only call Ruger when something on one of my Ruger firearms BREAKS. Which is another way of saying I don't call them much at all. If you're so put out by the fit of that SR1911, then one has to wonder why you bought it in the first place.

I know this is a ridiculous question before I ask it, but have you even shot this gun yet, OP? And if so, how does it shoot?
I don't get your negative comments here. I understand that a production 1911 is never going to be as nice as a hand-fitted WC, EB, etc. But, around my house, $650-$700 is not chump change. So, the OP should expect uneven finish, grip safety slop and a loose trigger just because it only cost $650? BS. I don't care if I pay $500 or $5,000 for a gun, there is a minimum quality level I expect.

I am tired of the elitist mentality that some on this forum have about 1911's in the sub-$1,000 range. It is perfectly acceptable for the owner to expect a reliable firearm with decently fitted parts. Not everyone has >$2,000 to drop on a handgun. There are some of us that do have the expendable income, but choose to spend it on other things. Rant over.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't get your negative comments here. I understand that a production 1911 is never going to be as nice as a hand-fitted WC, EB, etc. But, around my house, $650-$700 is not chump change. So, the OP should expect uneven finish, grip safety slop and a loose trigger just because it only cost $650? BS. I don't care if I pay $500 or $5,000 for a gun, there is a minimum quality level I expect.

I am tired of the elitist mentality that some on this forum have about 1911's in the sub-$1,000 range. It is perfectly acceptable for the owner to expect a reliable firearm with decently fitted parts. Not everyone has >$2,000 to drop on a handgun. There are some of us that do have the expendable income, but choose to spend it on other things. Rant over.
-- Um, I'm not sure why you're levelling the "elitist" accusation in my direction, since I'm one of those guys who both bought a Ruger SR 1911 and continue to carry it every day as my go-to 1911. The Ruger is the only 1911 I've ever actually bought; all of my other ones are home brews. There are no doubt elitist snobs on this forum who are made of money, but I can assure you I'm not one of them. All I was trying to get across to the OP was that, being a Ruger man myself, I knew what I was getting into when I invested my $640. I knew that there might be some parts that are more loosely fit than on a Wilson Supergrade. I wasn't disappointed that my trigger rattles a bit, or that my gun wasn't hand-finished by Doug Turnbull.

I believe that the Ruger SR1911 is an excellent 1911. Not just "for the money" as some folks haugtily assert, but in general. But it's still a production-grade firearm. It's thrown together from parts that just get pulled out of parts bins and as long as it works, it goes out the door. I'm sorry if that comes as a surprise to some. There is no old master craftsman in a leather apron lovingly hand-fitting the parts onto each SR1911. There are certainly companies that make their 1911s like that, and they do not sell for anywhere near $650-$700.

Ultimately it's up to the OP as you say, but if he's made up his mind that he won't be happy with anything less than perfection in his SR1911, he's going to be waiting a long, long time. And as for your statement about expecting a reliable gun at the Ruger's price point, I strongly agree. But I read the OP several times and can't see any evidence that he's even shot the thing yet. All of his concerns listed are what I'd call cosmetic. And pretty guns cost pretty pennies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
-- Um, I'm not sure why you're levelling the "elitist" accusation in my direction, since I'm one of those guys who both bought a Ruger SR 1911 and continue to carry it every day as my go-to 1911. The Ruger is the only 1911 I've ever actually bought; all of my other ones are home brews. There are no doubt elitist snobs on this forum who are made of money, but I can assure you I'm not one of them. All I was trying to get across to the OP was that, being a Ruger man myself, I knew what I was getting into when I invested my $640. I knew that there might be some parts that are more loosely fit than on a Wilson Supergrade. I wasn't disappointed that my trigger rattles a bit, or that my gun wasn't hand-finished by Doug Turnbull.

I believe that the Ruger SR1911 is an excellent 1911. Not just "for the money" as some folks haugtily assert, but in general. But it's still a production-grade firearm. It's thrown together from parts that just get pulled out of parts bins and as long as it works, it goes out the door. I'm sorry if that comes as a surprise to some. There is no old master craftsman in a leather apron lovingly hand-fitting the parts onto each SR1911. There are certainly companies that make their 1911s like that, and they do not sell for anywhere near $650-$700.

Ultimately it's up to the OP as you say, but if he's made up his mind that he won't be happy with anything less than perfection in his SR1911, he's going to be waiting a long, long time. And as for your statement about expecting a reliable gun at the Ruger's price point, I strongly agree. But I read the OP several times and can't see any evidence that he's even shot the thing yet. All of his concerns listed are what I'd call cosmetic. And pretty guns cost pretty pennies.
I went back and read your first post again and realized that I came across too strongly with my response. I thought you were trying to tell him "You only paid $700 for it, what do you expect." You clearly weren't.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My SR1911 is nowhere near as tight as some of my other 1911's but it remains one of my most accurate.
Doesn't bother me

Finish on mine is great

·
Registered
67 Posts
Both of mine are goose loose RE frame to slide, both shoot very well. Mine were also loose regarding fit of firing pin stop to ejector; that I corrected for feed/ejection reliability reasons. My grip safeties seem to be well fitted. I don't Ruger much slack for quality/price considerations; the products should be very good. I am a Ruger fan, but I not a blind one.

prs

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just happened to be looking at my SR1911 Commander.

Compared to both my Sig Ultra Compact and Scorpion 1911 it is looser.

The grip safety has play and rattles. The trigger has a bit of up and down movement like the OP describes

None of this seems to affect anything shooting related to the gun

The only gripe I have with it is there is a tiny bit of creep in the trigger compared to my Sigs....and the finish around the slidestop tends to mark easily.....not an idiot scratch but markings just from normal use of slide stop

I like my Sigs a bit better but nothing overally bad to say about the Ruger.... It is a good gun and I like it

·
Registered
385 Posts
and the finish around the slidestop tends to mark easily.....not an idiot scratch but markings just from normal use of slide stop
There is a burr on the back of the slide stop, if you take it down a bit and smooth it out you'll eliminate that problem.

·
Premium Member
8,591 Posts
"I don't get your negative comments here. I understand that a production 1911 is never going to be as nice as a hand-fitted WC, EB, etc. But, around my house, $650-$700 is not chump change. So, the OP should expect uneven finish, grip safety slop and a loose trigger just because it only cost $650? BS. I don't care if I pay $500 or $5,000 for a gun, there is a minimum quality level I expect."

Quality level is being confused with fit and finish level in this statement. Poster's response makes it sound as if $500 or $5000 should get a tight, finely fitted and finished firearm. That is not a quality issue, that is the level of product paid for. If you want a guaranteed tight frame to slide, trigger, grip safety fit then buy a custom. $650 is a very large sum of money to myself as well as the poster. I know what I am buying when I buy a RIA, Ruger/SA, Sig or Baer as I move up the buying tiers in this sequence. And I know SA has several tiers so the level of fit and finish will be attendant to the cost.

I fault no one exercising a warranty for defective product, but crying about percieved shortcomings just drives prices up in an unnecessary manner.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Do this, in this order clean it, oil it, put loaded mag in, rack it, it will almost be as tight as a tick, its the way that 1911's were designed. Most tightness you see is different manufactures trying to improve design, and never quiet accomplishing that. Oh by the way shoot it. It's sorta like a lot of things,in our life's some things are just tighter than others but still work good, trucks tractors, etc etc....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts