1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Springfield Loaded with adjustable sights and all the regularly featured goodies but WITHOUT the front slide serrations and the full-length guide rod. It just makes the gun so much cleaner, more classic, and desireable. The front serrations eat up leather holsters, and that damned 2-piece guide rod takes a screwdriver or allen wrench to strip the gun. The model is 9132, I believe, and it looks like an earlier gun without the chamber indicator nor key lock. I do not mind the loaded chamber notch, since my beloved Star PD has one, but the key thing in the housing is too Taurusy. Also, I like the checkered mainspring housing on the 9132. Put it on layaway, naturally. :) By the way, I held a Kimber, and although they are softened all around, I think the Springfield felt more solid for some reason.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I definitely agree about the forward slide serrations. Don't know what idgit thought them up, but they are an abomination to the classic lines. I kinda like the flgr, but that's probably because mine doesn't require any tools....the dang things loosens as you fire and make disassembly quite easy.

I'll be sending my SA back for repairs soon and will request that they replace the slide with one that doesn't have the front cuts.

Another big beef I have with these companies is that while they market the guns as combat/defense ready, they don't include (or didn't) tritium sights as standard. Black sights are near worthless in near-dark conditions, but at least you have pretty grip panels.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gunz....
I also have the 9132. This is by far the best looking 1911 that I own. I like the adjustable site and no front straps. I called SA and questioned them on this model a couple of months back. They told me it was a dealers special and there are no regular stock supplies otherwise. So you should feel honored that you have one as I do. This 9132 shoots like a dream and would.t trade it for the world. I have been looking for the SA SS 1911a1 Longslide W/O the front straps and was told that they do not make them. Who knows, maybe there is a dealers special somewhere around. I also asked SA about a replacement slide W/O the front straps for my blued loaded 1911a1 and was told 350-400 $$$$ range. What a beat. They said, this is because it is a special order.

Gunz....Enjoy that piece of steel. You have a rare find.

1927A1

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am so glad to know that someone else has the same feeling about the 9132. I am glad I snatched it up forom the shelf, then. Special dealer's run....Good Grief. I have gone thru a few holsters with those sharp front serrations. One day, I was so fed up with them, I sat down and stoned the front serations. They are softer, now, but so help me, I hated having to smith my own pistol. The only reason I have not invested in a Kimber is the accuracy and the reliability of the 2 Loaded models I purchased. I have not had a single problem with either of them. All in all, the 9132 is a keeper!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I like the serrations, but I think these fine pistols are nicer without ambisafeties an the popular kimber lever shape.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I hope this comes out. I had Photopoint but they went by the way to charging people to use their site.

1927A1
WOW!!!!! I am sorry about the bandwith... I didn't think it would come out this big.

[This message has been edited by 1927A1 (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm a bit biased in this matter. Never liked them. Don't like the way they look. Don't like the way they tear up holsters and never found a need for them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Springfield No.1,
I am looking for the Springfield 1911A1 Long slide without the front straps. I guess that will also be a dealer special.

1927A1

·
Banned
100 Posts
Getting 3rd SA tommorrow. I guess it is to each is own. I love the look of the PX9140L.
Have 1 without and this will make 2 with front serrations. Plus thanks SA for finally putting in Dovetailed front, glad to see the staked go.
IMHO MecGar is making a Propoint mount thats slips into Bomar cut and if you have one on your slide you will find you will appreciate those front serrations.

·
Banned
100 Posts
hey 1927a1, Use "RIG" + stainless on slide to frame tried all the lubes made and it works the best. Specifically designed for the stainless. That just IMHO. Saw my co-worker "former arsenalist U.S military" swear by the New Colt lube put it in then had another young co-worker test fire (it was a used pistol) then came back to me and said something is wrong. Slide was sounding more like a rock-tumbler moving rather then butter on bread. Hosed it down with Gunscrubber spray then put in RIG + stainless lube on smoooooooooooooth. Just some advice.
"Wise man once said to have trial is to have error but, to have trial & error it will be overcome"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts