1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Before I plonk down $$$$ for four 10-rounders and 3 8-rounders I want to know are they the best I can buy or am I better off with something else?

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I don't know about the 10 rounders, but Wilsons are the best for 8 rounders. That being said, it doesn't mean they are the best in YOUR gun. Generally speaking, Wilsons work best across the board. You may find that your gun will function just as good with CMC mags and you will save a few bucks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello Jeff,

I think that you would be better off buying seven of the 7-round Wilson magazines.

The 7-round Wilsons are of very high quality and they function 100% reliably in my Colt Commander and my Government Model.

Please take a look at this thread regarding problems with the 8-rounders:
http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000324.html

Before you buy a whole bunch of any kind of 1911 magazine, IMO, it would be a good idea to buy 1 or 2 of the the style that you are interested in. Then you could shoot a few hundred rounds through them and see for yourself if they are reliable with your gun.

Good luck in your search for good quality magazines!

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The 10 rounders, and 8's from Wilson's are decent mags and work fine in most guns. That said, I don't know that I would "Invest" in that many 10's until you were stocked up with the ones you're most likely to use.

You should have at least 3 of whatever you plan on dedicating, one for the gun, and 2 spares. From there, you can build on it.
I have been using Wilson's almost exclusively for more than 15 years. I still have many other mags, but they are not the ones I use, or trust my life with.

Personally, I have upgraded most all of my 7's. I have found the 8's to be completely reliable, and solid in my applications, although YMMV. Enjoy!

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 8 rounders. Use either Wilson's or McCormicks(Shooting stars). Both work equally well. Did a test several years ago and shot up 16,000 rounds in three days with two guns. One used Wilsons and the other Shooting Stars. No malfunctions of any kind. I also use the 10 round Shooting Stars for USPSA. Never had a bobble. Good mags, either ones.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
No problem with 8 rounders in my experiences either. YMMV.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can't beat a $12.00 Megar Mag. Don't let the price fool you. These are really nice and work fine in every gun I own. I have close to 20 of them and never had a glitch.

[This message has been edited by yeperra (edited 08-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by yeperra (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
479 Posts
Originally posted by yeperra:
Can't beat a $12.00 Megar Mag. Don't let the price fool you. These are really nice and work fine in every gun I own. I have close to 20 of them and never had a glitch.

I agree, i have three of the nickel plated mec-gars strong springs, metal followers, very good, not just because they are cheap.. I do like the wilsons, they are nice, better than baer`s.. I`m going to pick up some CMC power mags soon i hear they are good.. -Gilmore

------------------
ME,WE!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Personally, I've had good luck with McCormick's 8 round Shooting Stars. The only short fall is that the follower tends to slide a bit forward sometimes - I understand the PowerMags don't have this problem & I plan on picking up a few of these as carry mags.

Try a CMC or two and see what you think. At $18 for the 8 rnd. Shooting Stars they're a tad bit more affordable than the Wilson-Rogers (especially if you're looking for a place to start "sampling" different mags).

Mac

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use both Wilson and McCormick 10rd mags in my Limited 10 gun(SA fullsize). Either one worked im ny gun. Personally, I like the Wilson mags, as the feep lips are rounded inward a bit making the loads easier. However, 10rd mags all load like crap, use the 8 rd mags for speed shoots. Good advice about trying a few different mags first though, plus, you can never have to many(spoken by someone who has had mags go bad on them during a stage).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
HI jeff,
I'm probably the only guy who doesn't like wilson mag, it been years since I've used any, don't ask me how,but, doing reloads during matches,as I pulled the mag out of the pouch, I used to strip the top round out of the mag. If I was lucky it fell on the ground, if I wasn't, it would get traped in the mag well between the mag and the barrel. I've also broken the tabs, wilson puts on is 10 rounders, to prevent them from be over inserted. I've had much better luck with the shooting star 8 rounders, and a buddy just started using Ed Brown 10 rounder, and so far so good.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Supercomp,,,

Your not alone in your dislike for Wilson mags. I dont use them anymore after some of the same things you described happened to mine. I have switced to the McCormick Power Mag for all my guns and I could not be happier.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just my most recent experience:

200 rounds through 1 8rd magazine with no malfunctions of any type. S&B 230 grain ammo as recommended by Wilson.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have used about 15 CMC/Shooting Star 8 round mags and they all worked perfectly in my Kimbers, SA, Colts and AO. I'll get 2 or 3 Wilson 8 round mags soon to try.

In compacts I have used 7 Meg-Gar mags and recently 3 Wilson mags and they all worked perfectly in my Kimber and Colt. However, I have to say Wilson mags seemed a little more smooth.

As for 10 round mags I had 2 Wilsons but the little tab to prevent over insertion broke on both. I been using Ed Brown 10 round mags and they work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
supercomp and Ken Neal
Add another fan to your group. My Kimber Super Match WILL NOT tolerate Wilson's...well, not that serious, but...
I get quite a bit of rub inserting the Wilson's and they are not reliable on release...not good in IDPA or USPSA! I have not had one problem with the McCormick 8rd'rs, smooth...no rub! I also prefer the $14.25 to $32

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
I haven't tried any 8 rd mags. but I have 2 CMC Power 10's. They work great in my Kimber Classic Custom Royal. ($17.95 @ Cheaper Than Dirt.)

------------------
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER

1 - 17 of 17 Posts