• 1 person makes no difference.

Votes: 1 1.2%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

There are many enlighting posts here regarding gun control. However, I've read that 60-70 million gun owners reside in the USA. Clearly the majority of those don't belong to a gun rights groups like the NRA, GOA, etc., write letters or vote, pro firearm. This is very unfortunate, because collectively we can make a huge difference in the outcome, but only if we are truly active. The anti gun groups chip away a little here, a little there. What the count on is, that we loose interest, and yes, they are winning.

What it appears to be is, the gun owners are there own little special interest groups. We have hunters who feel that as long as ther hunting rifles and hunting rights aren't affected, so what. The same with some shotgun hunters and sportsman. We have range shooters who figure as long a my pistol isn't part of a ban, so what. We even have wheelgun shooters who figure they are safe no matter what, only 5 or 6 rounds, who'll worry about us? Come on folks, given time, the wheel gun will become an assault weapon!!

What do you really do?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Every person that does it makes a difference. It all adds up.

I write letters, emails, make phone calls, and belong to NRA - lifetime member, Gun Owners of America, and Ohioans for Concealed Carry.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I do all of the above and then some. I typically see something that makes me angry regarding anti-guns propaganda and go to one of my pro-gun site and donate some money, even if it's just $20.00. This weekend, I participated in an "open-carry" walk at our Ohio Governors mansion to demonstrate the absurdity of open-carry, which is what Ohio's Supremem Court says we can do, so there's no need for concealed carry to protect ourselves. I was impressed, Ohio CCW got a plane with a banner for the event. I sent some money for that, as well.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
nw_fan said:
I This weekend, I participated in an "open-carry" walk at our Ohio Governors mansion to demonstrate the absurdity of open-carry,
Care to elaborate? did you walk around with visable holsters>?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes, open holster carry.

There have been approximately 15 of these walks around Ohio, set up through www.ohioccw.org to demonstrate that it would be better if we could get CCW passed in Ohio. Our Governor keeps changing what he "needs" in the bill to sign it. First it was agreement by the LEO groups, which happened with the exception of the State Highway Patrol (who work directly for the Gov). Now he has added the requirement that CCW permit holders be public info, where you can request a list of all CCW permit holders with addressess, as opposed to how most states do it, where you must appear in person to ask for a specific individual's information. There is a new theme coming up in a week, I think, where they are trying "open-shopping" The organizers have checked with various merchants to find out who welcomes customers carrying and who does not welcome customers carrying. It is a very interesting twist on what has been a very successful, very productive, and very well organized and executed political statement.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Open Carry has special meaning to us, because 6 (I'm pretty sure that's the correct number) lower county courts ruled Ohio's essential ban on concealed carry with affirmative defense as the only methiod for carry, unconstitutional under Ohio Constitution. The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that because Ohio has no open carry restrictions, that the lower courts were incorrect and concealed carry is not needed.

Some cities like Youngstown and Toledo have intructed their officers to arrest open-carry folks, regardless of the Supreme Court ruling for inciting panic or recklessness and "let the courts figure it out"

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
[RE; Ohio] "..... Some cities like Youngstown and Toledo have intructed their officers to arrest open-carry folks, regardless of the Supreme Court ruling for inciting panic or recklessness and "let the courts figure it out"

... Yeah, and those arrested on such false charges ought to file charges of false arrest and malicious prosecution against officers and departments that do so. And let the courts figure it out.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Becuse of the involvement of our pro gun group we managed to kick out a anti gun county attorney and voted in a pro gun one.
Now we are working on doing the same in a county that is adjacent too ours that has a very anti Sheriff

·
Registered
780 Posts
The people on these types of forum boards shouldn't be your target. We are obviously passionate about our cause/hobby. There are a TON of people out there that have no clue about the AWB, sunsets, magazine capacity restrictions, CCW laws, etc. Those are the people we need to be talking to and educating them.

Just for grins, tomorrow at work, grab a co-worker that you know fairly well but that doesn't know squat about guns. Ask them if they think the AWB is a good idea. They don't even have to know what it is and I can tell you what thier answer will be. Try it, it'll open your eyes.

GT

·
Registered
192 Posts
tarpleyg said:
The people on these types of forum boards shouldn't be your target. We are obviously passionate about our cause/hobby. There are a TON of people out there that have no clue about the AWB, sunsets, magazine capacity restrictions, CCW laws, etc. Those are the people we need to be talking to and educating them.

Just for grins, tomorrow at work, grab a co-worker that you know fairly well but that doesn't know squat about guns. Ask them if they think the AWB is a good idea. They don't even have to know what it is and I can tell you what thier answer will be. Try it, it'll open your eyes.

GT

Very well said.
I spare no opportunity to enlighten or correct fellow workers on the issues of gun ownership.I have managed to indoctrinate more than a few friends and co workers into shooting by outlining the many positive aspects of REAL gun safety,the Second Amendment,and why guns offer the best protection.Two of my friends who used to be "antis" now have permits.
We have to spread the word as well as be politically involved.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah, man, I vote pro gun, I am an NRA member,and I recently sent an e.mail to Home Depot. All of the above, baby!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Besides those activities listed above, I have also taken at leat 7 people, who have never shot and knew nothing of guns, to the range and introduced them to shooting. Out of those 7, all of them said it wasn't what they expected and said that they enjoyed it (many went again). One of them joined my gun club and one of those eventually got her CCW.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I practice the "one on one" approach. I take every opportunity to do so. This is by far the best approach too.

Do the numbers. If everyone sufficiently motivated does so - sucessfully - even to the tune of just a half a dozen people over several years, our numbers will multiply and be compounded at a tremendous rate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts