1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is called 'Aretha' by her closest friends.
She belongs to a buddy of mine who works the southwestern border. Feds don't usually carry 1911's but this one enjoys an occasional field trip.
It's been a 'work in progress' for about as long as I've known them both......about 15 years!
I just installed a Kart barrel and all three of us agree that she is now complete.
Finish is Graphite Black Cerakote over a manganese phosphate base.
The leather is by Eric Larsen of HBE Specialty LeatherWorks.
http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
As always very nice Chuck. Could you tell us more about the rear sight? I can make out what appears to be lettering on the side of the sight, but I can read it. The owner is lucky to have a friend like you.:rock:

·
Registered
395 Posts
It looks the part. Nice work as usual 'wrench.

It's also cool to see one of your guns with the leather. Nice change of your normal photo format.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Let me be the first to say, that is one gorgeous pistol!

I'm kind of a minimalist in the looks department and that is a work of art.

Edit: Oooops! I was going to be first, but I went to make breakfast before hitting "submit". But I'll give a big +1!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I've said it before, and I am going to say it again: pinned grip safety makes 1911 look sweeter.

Mr. Rogers, I'd imagine your work has evolved a lot in 15 years. What was radically changed in Aretha since you've met her first? Just looking for historical prospective...

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rear sight is a Novak low mount, modified for one handed slide racking.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Chuck is handy with the surface grinder too.

Did you have to recut the cocking serrations to sharpen them up after grinding the slide?

...nice work...I like those old grips..:)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
That.... is.... AMAZING.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Man that's nice.A 15 year work in progress? Wow. Time well spent.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Boy, you can see the Rogers trademark signs all over this beauty - the contours of the undercut and the GS, and from what I can see, the bushing/muzzle area . . . and of course, the golfballs. How 'bout the MSH? Can't tell from the photos (or maybe just my old eyeballs), but it it smooth, checkered, or what? Also, is the GS pinned?

Finally, I can't help but tread on one of your insider jokes this time and ditto Hooks' comment - I like those grips. They add character.

Beautiful pistol . . . as always. Thanks for sharing them. You continue to provide examples of the quality I should try for in my own work, even if I never get there.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Very nice Chuck!

Can someone explain to me how a modified Novak sight lends itself to one-handed slide racking?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
The sight is re-profiled (best seen on the third pic from the top) so it can be easily hooked against fixed structure, like belt, edge of a desk etc. . Now, with sight/slide assembly hooked/fixed, one "racks" the slide by pushing the frame forward.

This requires a lot of practice and a sturdy belt, as well as tolerance to scratches on the top of the slide. It also requires sturdy belt loops on one's pants; ask me how I know...:)

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
Thats almost as great as free sex.

·
Premium Member
15,658 Posts
A wonderful rig. The grips look to be Hogue to me - note the fine-line checkering and how they come to an edge front and rear while covering more of the grip frame. I don't think wood double-diamond stocks get any better than that.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Typical Rogers stuff, balls to the wall simple and functional. I'm searching thru the sofa for spare change to put towards one!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Knowing what I do of the exploits of you and the 'wild bunch' you run with, it's highly unlikely that Aretha looked anywhere close to that nice when she stumbled back into your shop for a rebarrel and a makeover.
;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts