1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a supposed FM Detective in original box with mags, cleaning rod, manual, and warranty registration card. The cover of the manual shows the wraparound grips, "Detective" and the FM logo on the right side of the slide. The left side has the correct engraving "Argentina Hi Power", etc. along with the import marks (California importer) The strange thing is there is no Detective and FM logo on the right side of the slide. This one also has flat 1911 style grips not the wraparounds as pictured on the cover of the manual. I've personally not seen a Detective model without Detective and the FM logo on the right side of the slide. Just wondering if this is an aftermarket slide, buit if it is, why would it have import markings? Can somebody tell me if this is a legitimate Argentine Detective? If not, what is it?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FM Detective

Passed on it due to no inscription. Kind of regret it though because I really just want a short slide and barrel. Oh well, another one with the detective inscription will come along eventually.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I have never heard of a counterfeit FM Detective. I don't think there'd be any money in it.
My suspicion would be a legit marking variation that we haven't seen here before.

There are FM Hi Power variants, like the FM02AR versions with factory SFS (both full sized and Detective) that are very rare or nonexistent in the USA.

If it isn't too late to scarf it up, you'd end up with a model that most of us haven't seen before.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew I should have bought it. Anyway, contact the Cabela's in East Grand Forks, MN.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about the Compact Slide Conversion Kits that you used to be able to purchase, do they have the Detective engraving on them?

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I think so, but not sure. Mine was bought as a complete gun at SARCO.

Check out the photo gallery at the top of this forum, there are several pictures of Detectives, both kit and complete.

Be warned though, it'll be hard not to get distracted by all the other cool Hi Powers.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
what about the Compact Slide Conversion Kits that you used to be able to purchase, do they have the Detective engraving on them?

It is AMAZING how much money the new/like new Detective uppers sell for on the auction sites. The last one I followed sold for $650!!! At that price, one should be able to get a very nice complete Detective.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took your advice and went ahead and bought it again. First time I've ever bought the same weapon twice LOL! BTW, Cabelas reimbursed me every dime for sending the Detective back because they misrepresented it. Anyway, this time I got them down to $575 out the door based on no detective engraving on the slide. I'll send pics as soon as it gets in. BTW, Cabelas will ship in any used gun from any of their stores for $25. If for whatever reason you don't want the gun after it comes in, you either buy another gun or you lose the $25. In addition to re-purchasing the Detective I ran into a NIB, unfired FEG PJK with all accessories, manual, etc. for $450. Beautiful blued pistol. If anybody has any more information on this unmarked short- slide Detective, please let me know.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to mention. As of Wednesday Numrich had an ad for a Compact Detective Slide Conversion Kit for a little over $200 out of stock and you could go on their wish list. However, I contacted them and they stated they can no longer get them. BTW, the photo showed "Detective" on the slide.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I took your advice and went ahead and bought it again. First time I've ever bought the same weapon twice LOL! BTW, Cabelas reimbursed me every dime for sending the Detective back because they misrepresented it. Anyway, this time I got them down to $575 out the door based on no detective engraving on the slide. I'll send pics as soon as it gets in. BTW, Cabelas will ship in any used gun from any of their stores for $25. If for whatever reason you don't want the gun after it comes in, you either buy another gun or you lose the $25. In addition to re-purchasing the Detective I ran into a NIB, unfired FEG PJK with all accessories, manual, etc. for $450. Beautiful blued pistol. If anybody has any more information on this unmarked short- slide Detective, please let me know.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Outstanding. Don't forget to send pics when you get it!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do Burgs. Sorry about the double tap posting. On the road running off my cell phone.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
No problems, Mac. Happens to me all the time.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
FM Detective Slide Kit

here are the markings on the FM slide I got in the detective kit I bought... The frame is FEG.

LEFT VIEW

RIGHT VIEW

V/r

Chuck

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for posting that Chuck. This helps narrow the search. As soon as I get it back I'll post pics and details. There has to be a logical answer for what this is. I'm thinking maybe some entity ordered some without the Detective engraving on the slide. Is there anyway to access FM archives? I read in this forum from 2001 about a JLD Enterprises who imported the compact slides but am unable to locate a point of contact on their website.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
JLD was an outfit in New England (Connecticut I think) that had some sort of presence in Argentina.

In the late 1990s they imported a BUNCH of license built DFGM 1927 into the U.S. at really good prices (as I recall about $249 each for the top grade) which were really excellent pistols. I do not recall them ever importing any HP stuff... but that doesn't prove they didn't...

They were good people to do business with... but I think they have been gone over 10 years now.

FWIW

Chuck

Thanks for posting that Chuck. This helps narrow the search. As soon as I get it back I'll post pics and details. There has to be a logical answer for what this is. I'm thinking maybe some entity ordered some without the Detective engraving on the slide. Is there anyway to access FM archives? I read in this forum from 2001 about a JLD Enterprises who imported the compact slides but am unable to locate a point of contact on their website.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Chuck!

·
Registered
959 Posts
JLD was an outfit in New England (Connecticut I think) that had some sort of presence in Argentina.

In the late 1990s they imported a BUNCH of license built DFGM 1927 into the U.S. at really good prices (as I recall about $249 each for the top grade) which were really excellent pistols. I do not recall them ever importing any HP stuff... but that doesn't prove they didn't...

They were good people to do business with... but I think they have been gone over 10 years now.

FWIW

Chuck
I bought one of those DGFM Systema Modelo 1927 handguns in 2001 or 2002. It still works well. It was about $300 here in California, after the LGS handled the sale.

JDL morphed and is now PTR rifles. They now focus on making the rifles and no longer import cool stuff like they did. Now they make cool stuff here.

Just for your knowledge.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts