1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yes it was expensive but I'm grateful I was able to get it.
Jake, for most of us gun putz's, it all evens out over time.

I have a friend who has an astonishing collection of pristine military weapons - and he picked up every one of them dirt cheap. However, this was his one and only hobby, he always had his ear to the ground, and always had both the time and money to always be ready to pounce when something he was looking for became available at a price he wanted to pay. He's at it 24 hours a day.

I suspect I'm like most of us. I've picked up some great finds at ridiculously low prices. A WWI Triple Lock in VG shape, complete with that officer's battle maps from the Battle of Amiens showing the report lines for the attack, his Same Brown and holster - $200. On the other hand, I've paid more money for other firearms I wanted than just about anybody else would say is reasonable. I paid $1700 for a S&W Model 17-6; my shooting buddies said I was crazy. I considered it a very fair exchange, particularly after looking for one for many years.

In the end, the great bargains and having to dig deep to scratch a particular itch all even out. The value of any firearm is what it is worth to the owner or the guy who wants to own it, not what the "market" says.

Given the value of the ammunition we pour through them over the years, even an extra $600 or more is cheap if it is a specific handgun we want. It's not like they wear out in a few years of use...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks guys, I missed out two years ago on this one http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13064204
It sold for $905 with 70+ bids.

There have been a few others, but this one seems to be in good shape. I will keep it stock.

And you're right about it all evens out. I've bought guns online and even in pawn shops at well below what they should have sold for. They didn't know what they had or no one was interested.

Yes I will put up photos and give my modest opinion in a brief range report.
And thanks again for the comments, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
it baffles me why, with such demand for a particular firearm, it isn't made again! -If Browning would make a Lightweight Compact HP, they would sell every one they could make.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Florida Arms was offering aluminum HiPower frames. However, the website now forwards to mvbindustries.com which doesn't show HiPower frames. It's too bad. An aluminum framed HiPower coupled with one of these Detective length slides would be great.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I don't know if it's still in production, but the FM95 was followed in 2002 by the FM02AR, which was a factory SFS equipped version in both standard and Detective lengths.

It's my understanding that the FM Hi Power imports ceased when the exchange rate for US Dollar vs whatever Argentina uses for money got backwards.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It's my understanding that the FM Hi Power imports ceased when the exchange rate for US Dollar vs whatever Argentina uses for money got backwards.
There's got to be something going on other than that. The $ is worth more now versus the Argentine Peso than it has ever been. That should equal more buying power. My guess is that since FM is owned by the Argentine government, they don't have much incentive to earn money by selling to US companies. It's much easier for the government to just take money from its own citizens.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
it baffles me why, with such demand for a particular firearm, it isn't made again! -If Browning would make a Lightweight Compact HP, they would sell every one they could make.
Think 9mm Practicals wouldn't sell here if brought over again?

The Citori Gran Lightening? They go dear used.

Think new Colt Pythons wouldn't get snapped up?

How about the S&W 17-6 again? They last about ten seconds after being advertised for sale.

There has to be more involved than simple demand. That crosses over into other products. Yamaha only brings the big 1200cc Super Tenere dual sport bike to North America - the much more practical 650cc model that would compete with the most popular dual sports never makes it across the pond. I and literally hundreds of others beg Yamaha every year to bring the "little" 650cc Tenere back to North America - the dealers at the bike shows tell us that. But it ain't happening.

Corporations really do want to make a profit - that's the whole idea. So there has to be a lot more than demand at play that makes it unprofitable. With handguns, perhaps it's simply economy of scale and it is already hard holding onto a niche in a world of tupperware pistols.

As far as that goes with FN, how many police forces in North America actually issue an FN pistol of any flavour? But the military... ah, they own the machine gun market for North America.

·
Banned
269 Posts
There's got to be something going on other than that. The $ is worth more now versus the Argentine Peso than it has ever been. That should equal more buying power. My guess is that since FM is owned by the Argentine government, they don't have much incentive to earn money by selling to US companies. It's much easier for the government to just take money from its own citizens.
I had a talk with the manager of SARCO a few years ago. SARCO was one of the importers of FM Detectives and Kareens.
My question to him was whether SARCO was going to import any more FM Detectives from Argentina.
I was told by the manager that SARCO had no plans to import any more Detectives because of the USD exchange rate was not to SARCO's advantage.

The USD exchange rate then has nothing to do with the exchange rate now, but every country on the planet, even Russia, loves a product that they can sell for US dollars, regardless of internal or international politics.
The comment "It's much easier for the government to just take money from its own citizens." is a personal philosophy not pertinent to the discussion.
Keep it real.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
That's a nice one. The FM95 offers an ambi, straight feed ramp and dovetailed sights from an FN MK III. The advantage of that is that you can use the Trijicon BRO2 night sights, or any other sight that will fit MK III dovetails.

It's interesting to see the different grips that FM has used. I've seen Hi Power OEM style wood, rubber finger groove grips that resemble Pachmayrs, and the FN style curved plastic. My FM95 came with the curved plastic, which are slightly duller and less slippery than the FN versions. In a pile of discarded curved plastic grips it's easy to differentiate the Argentine version.

When the FMs were still being imported there was one magazine reviewer who wrote that his curved plastic grips, while retaining the same FN style, were actually made of softer rubber. I have not seen those but there's yet another version of grip that FM used.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
FM02AR Detective:

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Racking a FM90 Detective

Quick question,
Is racking the slide on a FM90 Detective difficult?

Reason I ask is I have a Colt Officers model .45 with a dual spring/ 3.5" barrel and it's no joy with arthritis.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
In my estimation the Detective slide is easy to cycle by hand. But I don't have hand problems though.

A feature that might be a benefit to some shooters: My Detective weighs the same as my full size 69C, so the recoil should be about the same as a full sized Hi Power.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Yeah, that was a good deal. I've seen the top end alone go for that price.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts