1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question. Are these really any good. Have someone looking to sell and I would like to add it to the collection if it's worth it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The FM pistols are licensed copies of the FN (the only licensed clone, I believe), so yes, they are good pistols

·
Registered
417 Posts
There are actually 3 flavors of Argentine HPs, quality and value dropping down the list.
1. Actual FN-made pistols with Argy markings.
2. License-built guns of ALMOST FN quality.
3. FM-made guns after FN licensing and supervision expired.
I've owned #2 and #3 guns and have generally been happy. I did sell off the category #3 gun, something I wouldn't do with any of my other HPs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
jonnyc, thanks for speaking up; I knew of the variations, but was not sure how to describe them. I have the licensed FM model.

·
Registered
51 Posts
just got a FM later model and so far it has been a great shooter. got it used with 200 rounds and 9 mags and a cheap IWB holster for 350.it was to see if I like the hi power enough to want to spend the bigger bucks for the real deal.but for me the FM has been a good shooter with no problems.crazywolf

·
Registered
291 Posts
So is the "unstepped" slide on the "post FM" pistols due to a need to make a change to avoid problems with FN Herstal after the FM production contract was fulfilled? Am I making any sense?:confused:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks, Stephen. I was hoping you would chime in. It's just personal preference, but the difference in appearance simply puts me off.

Does the "Detective" upper fit the FM frame? If so, I might be able to endure the appearance.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hello, I think it fits since the frames on the FM and FM Detective are the same size, but I have not actually tried it in person. Hopefully, others here will have a first-hand answer for you.

Best.
Thanks again. That was my impression, but confirmation's nice--especially when money's involved.:)

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
the Detective and Full size uppers are completely interchangeable on a regular frame. the current FM M-95 is fully licensed and is comparable to the current FN Mk III. the only difference is the finish and markings, and a few cosmetic differences on the slide.

·
Registered
417 Posts
"the current FM M-95 is fully licensed"

Are you saying that you have info that FM has renewed their licensing agreement with FN?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I own an FM Detective & I purchased a full length slide for it. As with any change to a weapon, the parts may either fit at first try or can be fitted, which is the most likely scenario. My slide needs to be lapped as it is much too tight to function properly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There are actually 3 flavors of Argentine HPs, quality and value dropping down the list.
1. Actual FN-made pistols with Argy markings.
2. License-built guns of ALMOST FN quality.
3. FM-made guns after FN licensing and supervision expired.
I've owned #2 and #3 guns and have generally been happy. I did sell off the category #3 gun, something I wouldn't do with any of my other HPs.
Number 1 should be divided into two groups.

1a - pre-war FN-made pistols with Argy markings

1b - post-war FN-made pistols with Argy markings

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
regarding current licensing: I don't have my reference books anymore, but what I recall was that blueprints and tooling for the Hi-Powers was SOLD to FM in the 60's and an update was purchased from FN in 1973 to update to the Mk III version, and both versions were fully licensed for unlimited export (unlike the Venezuelan and Nigerian agreements). If anyone has info to the contrary I'd love to hear it. Specifically, what year did this license end, if it did?

·
Registered
417 Posts
There were no MkIIIs in 1973, that even pre-dates the MkII. I believe the license expired sometime in the early '80s.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I believe the license expired sometime in the early '80s.
no offense, but I believed the license hadn't expired. some references or even exact dates (years) would be greatly appreciated. I like to be a student of the firearms I own and am interested in, seems like I may have been somewhat misinformed on FM's. It would be nice to clear that up with some certainty.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Argentinia's first Hi power contract with FN was in 1937 for 1,600 Hi Powers. Post-war (WWII) they also contracted with FN in the 1950/60's. FN licensed FM to produced the Hi Power from 1969-1989, under this license FM produced two Hi Powers variants, the type 65 (T) Hi Power from 1969-1977, and the type 73 Hi Power from 1977-1989. After the license expiration FM introduced the type 90 and later type 95 FM Hi Power, the type 90 is a cost cutting development, and the type 95 a further attempt at cost cutting, and adding type FN Hi Power MKIIIs features (safety) to the design. While FM seperately developed thier own cast manufacturing (on the M90 Hi Power) no FN MKIII license were ever granted to Argentinia-it wasn't released from FN till 1989.
Type 90 Detective FM

Type 73 Hi Power FM made 1987.

Type 65 (T) FM Hi Power made 1971.

Belgium FN made Argentine Buenos Aires police contract 1961.

·
Registered
291 Posts
gp35fn, your timing with the above post is impeccable! I was beginning to really wonder exactly what flavor my FM pistol was. From the pix, mine is a Type 73.

The shortened Detective slide makes the later models more attractive. Full-length slides look fat, compared to the slim HP slide.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts