1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clays and Zero's(.45cal)230gr jacketed round nose. I really like Clays 'cause it's affordable and performs great. Someday perhaps I'll be able to justify the cost of the Zero bullets, but the 230gr LRN will have to do me for now. We have a fellow who shoots approx 100,000 rounds of his own loads per year(no kiddin')...it's pretty much all he does. And, he has been at this pace for MANY moons.He's a very SOLID shooter and likes this combo ALOT! With all the research and load development he does, we take it for what it's worth. Which is alot.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Unless you have a problem with smoke and don't want to experiment with different powders and lubes, then your LRN will do anything the FMJ will do except wear the barrel out as fast. Don't feel like you're short changing yourself with your load combo.

This post does remind me that maybe there's another powder in the world besides W231. I'm going to have to branch out one of these days and experiment.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by Walking Point:
This post does remind me that maybe there's another powder in the world besides W231. I'm going to have to branch out one of these days and experiment.
This weekend I tried AA#5 for the first time. I bought the #5 to use in my 460 Rowland loads, but I thought I'd try it in 45ACP also. I put a near-max load behind a plated 230 and shot it side-by-side with my favorite near-max W231 load. Neither showed any signs of excessive pressure.

I don't have a chrono, but the #5 load was impacting the 120yd berm a few inches higher than the W231, and has more recoil. I conclude that #5 gives more velocity with the same pressure as W231 with a 230gr plated bullet. Accuracy of the #5 load was on par with, and maybe a tick better than the W231. I have a new favorite full-house 45 load.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...I've been using AA#5 for a while now...It's put the fun back in shooting practice for me

The 200 lswc over 8.0grains is great for "fun" and a bit more under a 200gr XTP feels "just right"...very accurate and consistent for me in my 4"...Now if I can just get a couple loads for the Blue Dot, I'll be set!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I like the accurate powders, but have tended to use them in 10mm and the occasional .38 Super load. I just loaded up a sample of .45 200 SWC ammo using 7.4 grains of #5 and need to see what kind of velocity I'm getting.

We've got a gun show this weekend so I need to get to work and find out what I'll be buying in quantity. I'm almost out of pistol powder except for Unique which is reserved for my cast bullet rifle loads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts