1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
217 Posts
I guess the only thing visibly bothersome is that hammer. I don't know what a "bubbed" hammer is, but I know what hammer "bite" is, so I hope they took that into consideration.

The other issue is the trigger job. Did they remove the magazine disconnect? Hope so. I never did understand why FN didn't get rid of that and that nasty hammer years ago.

There are a number of other "features" that I don't understand. Also, they make no mention of accuracy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You may want to check out some of Gunplumbers responses over at www.sigtalk.com

Look under the Sig smithing section for these topics, Thank You and SIG Factory Warranty.

That pissing contest turned me off of ARS and Teddy Jacobson.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The finish sucks. METACOL3 is a simple phenolic resin finish like Norrells moly resin or Robar. If he applied it over parkerizing (for his price he should), it would be excellent. But he decided it wasn't nessessary so now the MET3 is easily scratched.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I had my BHP customized by T. Mark Graham of ARS and I love it.

I love the finish. Sure it is possible to scratch it, what finish isn't? Stainless, well, then get that. But if you want a "baked-on" type of finish, Metacol III is as good as any other.

The trigger job he did on my High Power is incredible! It completely transformed my accuracy with the gun. Is it as good as the best 1911 trigger? No, but that's due to the inherent design of the trigger in the BHP.

So he's opinionated and got into a pissing match with another opinionated guy. What's that got to do with the quality of his work? I wouldn't hesitate to send a gun to him again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by oneminute:
You may want to check out some of Gunplumbers responses over at www.sigtalk.com

Look under the Sig smithing section for these topics, Thank You and SIG Factory Warranty.

That pissing contest turned me off of ARS and Teddy Jacobson.
A very similar episode occured on FN-Fal.com.

The pistol is an AIM HP. Most of them had Mark IV frames and Mark III slides, A combination that I kinda liked. So much in fact that I bought one. Under the beat up paint the pistol was parkerized! The finish was typical of a military weapon i.e. machine marks were clearly present and sometimes grinding marks were too. I suppose that helped keep the price down. Black paint (Enamel??) was applied heavily enough to cover most of the finish marks. IIRC, they sold for about $295.00 Mine (and by most reports all the others shot well and were very reliable). Cosmetics were the issue.

ARS says that they bobbed the hammer (I can't tell from the photo but that's not very labor intensive anyway), did a trigger job maybe?? but mostly they refinished the pistol. To do this the "Sandblasted it to remove the enamel Paint and I suppose ruff the surface to give the Moly III something better to adhere to. I don't recall hearing any new parts but maybe I missed something.

$750.00(sales price) - 295.00 (Aquistion- actually less because of quantity purchasing.) leaves a $445.00 profit.

That seemed a lot to me for grinding the hammer spur, stoneing the sear and refinishing with Moly III.

His does look better than mine but I don't know about $450.00 better.

PigPen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts