1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else get this on thier Wilson Armor tuff'd gun? after only a hundred rounds,or so, this happened...

BTW it's a Millenium Protector w/standard nite eyes, and it shoots awesome. Only have 250rd's through it...also some brass hits me in the head sometimes so it may just be because it's new that the ejector throws it around...I may end up sending this thing to someone to have it hardchromed and bead blasted(and the front strap serrations smoothed flat)as this is the only flaw I can find...this thing is tight and right(as it should be but it's my first semi-custom 1911). accurate as hell too compared to my Para's(as if it wouldn't be eh?
)

EDG

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Before having a calf; have you tried talking with Wilson's? But yes all of these Armor-Tuff, Black-T, Bear Coat, will chip if they are dinged in the right way.

They are parkerized, so rust is not generally a problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by abnranger:
Before having a calf; have you tried talking with Wilson's? But yes all of these Armor-Tuff, Black-T, Bear Coat, will chip if they are dinged in the right way.

They are parkerized, so rust is not generally a problem.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not too uptight about it..this one's a shooter not a presentation piece...but I may still have a few things done to it eventually and then have it chromed etc. Don't get me wrong..I LIKE IT!! I was just curious as to the placement of the marks on other peoples pistols with the armor tuff. Nothing a spot of cold blue won't touch up either.

Regards,
EDG

·
Registered
291 Posts
PE...My Classic has the same marks after 300 rounds or so, but yours looks a bit worse. I am thinking that when it gets real bad I will send it in for a re-do or strip it off and have the slide blued.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by MPower:
PE...My Classic has the same marks after 300 rounds or so, but yours looks a bit worse. I am thinking that when it gets real bad I will send it in for a re-do or strip it off and have the slide blued.
Thanks MP. I was simply curious. I'm going to shoot it quite a few thousand rounds before I do anything to it.

EDG

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's typical with Armor-Scuff. I like my Protector as well, but I do not like this finish. I will probably send the gun back to Wilson for a hard chrome finish. Irks me a bit, a $1500 + pistol with a painted-on finish. They should do better.

Bob

·
Registered
721 Posts
My CQB compact is doing the same thing. I called Wilsons and they said that it was normal for the Armor Tuff to wear on the corners like that. At our club shoot yesterday, I examined other CQBs and they all seem to be doing it. Kydex holsters seem to be harder on the finish than leather.

------------------
Mike,

NRA life member, CCW license

·
Registered
195 Posts
You have to remember that Armor tuff is merely a high tech paint job. You basically degrease the gun (some people parkerize it) spray the special paint on and then bake it in an oven. Don`t expect it to be as tough as hard chrome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My CQB is doing the same. I don't expect the armor tuff to be the miracle finish. I'll probably end up with hard chrome someday.

Edwin

·
Registered
120 Posts
Funny, my non-armor-tuffed, non-customized, out of the box Glocks and HKs don't do this and for a price of the "customized" Wilson, I could have bought three of the above toys.... Hmmmmm.. What gives??

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Now for the bad news NewToy45, I have worn the outer finish off my H&K USP, there are silver spots where the outer tennifer has worn on my Glock 17/22, and yes even on my hi end custom 1911s. Its called use. If you firearms set and never are drawn from a holster or only rarely they never show signs of wear.

Hell I know guys that have no finish on their handguns save for the oil that the leather puts on them. Is it a bad thing, no it shows that the pistol is a working tool, not a work of art.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not to worry abnranger, the only wear on your Glock is to the phosphate finish: the tennifer is still there doing it's job.

My Glocks show the same type of holster wear on the slide around the muzzle. It definitely gives them character.

I'm extremely happy with how the parkerizing on my Springfield is holding up. Very little holster wear so far. A little disappointing, as I was looking forward to getting it refinished! But I believe when the time comes I'll just have it reparkerized, as it seems to be holding up as well or better than the phosphate on my Glocks.

Mark

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well all I can say is the more I've been shooting it the less the wear bothers me and the less I notice it...it's got a few more spots around the magwell and ejection port but the thing shoots so sweet the finish doesn't matter. A few hundred more rounds through it and I'll be carrying it.

Thanks for all the responses.

Oh, and one more thing for the HK owners, I have a .45 USPcompact that has a little wear. albeit from alot of abuse as it goes everywhere with me and sees alot of different climates etc. heres a pic...whatever that finish is, it's definetely "tuff".

Regards,
Eugene

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Guess it's like anything else. I griped about the dogs being in my new car when I first got it home. After a month or so, I never gave it anymore thought.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by traevin:
Guess it's like anything else. I griped about the dogs being in my new car when I first got it home. After a month or so, I never gave it anymore thought.
Yeah, it's funny how certain things become familiar after a while.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Wilson told me the same thing after I emailed them. They boast about how tough the stuff is, but it really isn't that much better than blueing. I was shocked to find out that the front muzzle edges and front end of the dust cover are showing wear (bare metal) simply from holstering and unholstering. If this stuff is so tough and resistent to abrasion (as claimed), then how come my soft leather holster is doing this?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ya know, if you keep shooting it often enough, the holster will keep those bare metals areas polished and rust won't be a problem. I've challenged myself to use my new CQB enough in the first two years to wear all of the finnish off of it.(trying to be funny tonight...can't sleep).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Boy oh boy I hope the BLack-T holds up better.
Sure I could go chrome, but 2/3s of my guns are silver as it is, I need more ninja gunz

TRB

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Did I forget to mention my gun was less than 2 weeks old? I have been doing the same stuff with a Kimber Ultra Elite and its Kimpro finish has not worn off. It was my primary carry gun for 2000. Neither has it lost the finish from inside the chamber/breech face or around the edges of the port and it has 11,000+ rounds through it.

I don't think I would be as annoyed had Wilson not promoted their finish as they have done.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
TRB

First forget any of the magazine hype on any of these so called "wonder" finishes.

Black T and Bearcoat is softer but more slick.

All of these finishes are trade off between slickness and toughness.

The finishes are a teflon/polymer mix. (One of you chemists out there jump in here and say what it really is)

Teflon is the slick
Polymer is the tough.

Of all of the finishes the Armortuff is the hardest and softest is the first version of Bearcoat.

This oberservation is drawn from seeing and listening to how the guns wear from use.

Remember this observation is from the guns that have passed through my retail operation over about 9 years when this stuff first started to get to the gun buying public and what I have owned and used.

Softest and slickest to hardest and less slick. (forgive the lack of technical terminalogy)

Bearcoat (new formula kicks it up one)
Rogard
Black T
Rhinotuff
Armortuff

Now remember the tougher the less forgiving when the "shooter" is lazy and doesn't clean and lubricate for function.

I owned Les Baer Tactical Defense Pistol with the Bearcoat and used to shoot it regular with my dirty cast bullet reloads and rarely if ever cleaned it. This was part of demo to sell Baer (demo for 18 months). I would put my finger in the ramp and I would come out black for the potential buyer. The finish was worn off the slide, barrel hood, and the bushing contact point on the barrel.

The Wilson armortuff CQB I have (had now) for a demo (lasted 12 months until bought from my holster) was the same way. Both guns look worn but both did extremely well with the lack of attention on my part.

The Black T Novak Spec Ops Highpower I took in trade was used the same way for a year until it was bought out from my hoster. Gun looked like a well used gun but function was without a doubt great.

Baer originally used Black T than change to Bob Ford from Rocky Mountain for Bearcoat

Wilson originally used Bearcoat and some Black T and than changed to whatever version of armortuff they use now.

Bearcoat is its own company and does the stuff on its own. Bob Ford is great to deal with if you ever decide to get something else done.

None and I repeat NONE of the guns that have passed through with wear rust were the finish was worn off. Something in the coating bonds with the surface metal to prevent it. I sold a lot of guns in humid climates like Houston and Beaumont (add salt from the coast there) and get no gripe from rust but the usual complaint that the finish will wear with use.

Well, all finishes, IF the gun is carried and used, will wear. I have rubbed through the metal NP3 on my SIG228. This is a metal finish with teflon. Some finishes are more prone to it than others.

I hope this helps to understand the limits of the so called "wonderfinishes."

The finishes on Glock and H&K are metal treatment and not coatings. Therefore the were will be different. That is a subject for another thread

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts