1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When the Armortuff wears down (as people have complained) does Wilson refinish it under warranty?

Trying to decide between the KZ45 and CQB. Leaning towards the KZ.

------------------
Skunkabilly Records
www.skunkabilly.com
People's Republic of California

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have a Wilson two tone Classic (Armor-Tuff) Slide. I talked to Wilson rep directly and he said if I was ever dissatisfied with the Armor-Tuff Finish that they would refinish it no charge. I now have over 1000 rounds through my Classic and I have experienced none of the wear problems that some people have reported with it. In fact I actually like it. This gun is not a carry gun and I do believe it would wear faster if it was. My vote goes to the CQB !!!

[This message has been edited by bowhunter (edited 12-03-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
The answer is yes. They will refinish in any way you want. I chose to have my slide hard chrome, they did not charge me for the work.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Ricky T:
The answer is yes. They will refinish in any way you want. I chose to have my slide hard chrome, they did not charge me for the work.
For the slide AND the frame? I like the black frame and the chrome slide. I really hate the stainless frame and black slide look. To each his own I guess.

How many rounds did you have through the pipe before you refinished it?

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
Skunk...
I purchased the Protector used from a shooting buddy. He shot about 10000 rounds through it and I put another 5000 through it. The main reason I had it refinished was that my friend had an accident with the slide. A screw inside his holster backed out and gouge a chunk of finish off the slide almost to the bare metal. Wilson didn't care that it was our negligent that damaged the slide, they asked no question.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Ricky T:
Skunk...
I purchased the Protector used from a shooting buddy. He shot about 10000 rounds through it and I put another 5000 through it. The main reason I had it refinished was that my friend had an accident with the slide. A screw inside his holster backed out and gouge a chunk of finish off the slide almost to the bare metal. Wilson didn't care that it was our negligent that damaged the slide, they asked no question.
That's awfully nice of them. My dream gun: a black CQB frame with KZ45 stainless slide (external extractor) and stainless parts.

The ultimate Skunk 45. Black and white.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
That's awfully nice of them. My dream gun: a black CQB frame with KZ45 stainless slide (external extractor) and stainless parts.

The ultimate Skunk 45. Black and white.
I would say that for anyone else not living in Kommiefornia, you could call Wilson's up and they'd probably make it just the way you have asked for. But from what I have heard, sheeple in that state can only get guns on the approved DOJ list, so pretty much custom made guns are not in the cards anytime in the future unless you guys light a fire up your butts and have a revolution...

------------------
'In 1913, as he was imposing an income tax on this country (after the Supreme Court had declared Abraham Lincoln's income tax unlawful), Woodrow Wilson promised Americans that it would never go any higher than five percent, and that it would never affect anyone but the very wealthiest two percent of the population. Almost certainly this is where the observation first came from, that you can tell a politician is lying -- because his mouth is moving.' -- Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, Page 218.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I own a KZ that is showing some holster wear. I actually like it that way, gives the weapon character.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yo Skunk -

An unnamed source indicates that the new finish (at least on the KZs - probably all) will be standard soonest. A combination of parkerizing covered by armor tuff as specificied by a recent gov'nt contract.

If you order now, that's what you will get - or so I hear - supposed to be pretty neat.

Best,

Joe

------------------
Whoever said you can’t buy happiness never owned a good 1911.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by shootist87122:
An unnamed source indicates that the new finish (at least on the KZs - probably all) will be standard soonest. A combination of parkerizing covered by armor tuff as specificied by a recent gov'nt contract.
This is new on the Wilson Combat web site.

Unfortunately for me, I can only have the models tested and deemed 'not unsafe' by CA DOJ. Even if I wanted it straight from the factory, same gun, different color, I can't. I have to send it to Wilson after buying it, to have it redone.

I'd say *** but I am fully aware of where I am living.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have shot both the CQB and KZ and ended up buying a CQB. Actually the compact one since it is my daily carry. In regards to armortuff, I carry daily in a Braveheart Kydex IWB and yes it does wear off. Not really that badly b/c the gun is still black and OD but perhaps this is just relative since most of my other guns I don't carry and they are all pristine so I have nothing to compare wear patterns with.

After my regular practice session of 200+ draws, I can see noticeable wear on the finish. I even have flakes coming off of the gun but that could be from the holster (or both), not sure which yet.

But here's how I see it. Is this gun a weapon for S/D or a showpiece. I sort of like the wear and tear on the finish. Buy the CQB!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Originally posted by Peak:
I own a KZ that is showing some holster wear. I actually like it that way, gives the weapon character.
I should have added Wilson refinished My KZ after I sent it back for some reliability work. The gun has worked perfect ever since and I hadn't asked for any finish work. It was an unasked for freebie. The gun work cost zero, they gave me their UPS shipping cost code for the return. I've heard great stories about their shipping/warranty work and my experience backs it up!

·
Registered
164 Posts
new finish

i just got off the phone with one of the fellows at Wilson Combat, i asked him about a new finish (the park/armor-tuff combo) he says they have no intention of changing finishes. the KZ as well as all others will continue to have the same ol armor tuff

itll also take 4-5 months for me to get a KZ, WOW
any place on the net i can get one?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: new finish

SkaerE said:

itll also take 4-5 months for me to get a KZ, WOW
any place on the net i can get one?
Try www.collectorsfirearms.com and look on the collectible-modern handguns page. There was a like new stainless KZ there, unless it sold in the last few days. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When we were at Wilson this week, we asked to see a KZ. They had none in stock or ready for shipment. The fellow went out in the shop and borrowed a personal gun from an employee. It had been shot a lot and the finish showed wear near the front of the gun slide. He said that the Armortuff gets into the metal and protects even after the surface is worn.

Wilson claims 1000 hours of salt test on this material. I'm familiar with this test. In the prero-chem industry, they test for 96 hours life. 1000 hours is awsome!

One of the people who builds KZs just left and it has lengthened the delivery. I was told about 12-14 weeks right now. I'm placing an order next week. I was going to get a polymer Kimber but the grip on it feels like a baseball bat - way too big. KZ feels almost like a normal 1911 - just a little wider.

We were also shown the KZ compact with 9 round capacity going into production February. They have a long list of orders waiting for this one already.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts