1911Forum banner

Armscor requiring FFL at both ends for warranty claims?!

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Magnumite 
#1 ·
My Baby Rock shoots great, but there's an issue with the barrel to frame fit. The barrel link is insanely tight in the frame slot. To disassemble the gun for cleaning, after removing the switch, I basically have to use the slide as a slide hammer and slam it forward repeatedly to get the barrel/slide off. When reassembling, it's not AS hard, but I have to force it in. It should just slide in and out. Thought it would break in with time - it hasn't. So I contacted RIA for a warranty claim.

They're saying I have to have an FFL send it and receive it. That's a service fee on both ends! They claim it's a law..? I just warranted another gun with another manufacturer and I sent to l straight to them and they sent a replacement straight back to me.

This is really offputting. Having to find a place that wants to bother with it and then shelling out $25 each way, doesn't make me feel very good.

Anyone know anything about this? Are they telling the truth and the other service group was breaking the law? Or are they implementing this for some reason to discourage warranty claims?

#4 ·
The baby rock has a fixed link, it doesn't swing. It seems like either the link is a tiny bit too wide or the frame slot that accepts it is a tiny bit too narrow.

I hesitate to remove any material and risk putting the barrel even a thousanth off of straight parallel, but I might try polishing both areas and see what happens.

#7 ·
No indication of barrel/slide contact. It's definitely a catch where the link slides into it's little slot.

A little buffing and some extra lube and it's not as bad. Still not as smooth and easy as it should be, but not nearly as bad. I'll give it a few hundred more rounds and a couple more cleanings and see whete it lands.

So they aren't lying, it's a FedEx/UPS thing? That's ridiculous. I wonder how my last one managed, lol. I sent it from a UPS store in November/December and he sent it right back to my home address in January, no hassle at all.

#8 ·
Used to be a firearms company would send a pick-up ticket when it involved warranty work, and they ship it directly back to your home address.
If you turn it over to an FFL, they must log it into their A&D book from said owner, out to manufacturer, back in from manufacturer and before it's returned to the owner, they must go thru a full background check and whatever extra paperwork + fees your state requires.

#10 ·
There shouldn’t be a need for an FFL, the firearm is not changing ownership. If there is RIA should reimburse you for FFL fees. Talk to someone in customer service or a manager.

Reactions: unixfool
#12 ·
UPS and both FedEx changed their firearm shipping policy a while back.

UPS:
Font Screenshot Document Number Parallel

Font Number Document Parallel Circle

FedEx:
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Document

I had a warranty issue with my Nighthawk and they directed me to one of their dealers in my area for me to drop off my gun.

Nighthawk dealt directly with my local dealer to send them the return label and for them to ship it back to them.

It is a pain and currently no work around.

Can you imagine if you ship a gun, they lose it, and when you file a claim they ask for your FFL and you don’t have one, they will just deny the claim and direct you to their policy.

-Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
wouldn’t the RMA be an extension of the FFL since that is where the shipping arrangement started?

#20 ·
I just sent one back to S&W and they sent me a label and instructions. I took it to Fedex and they ask me whats in the box. I told the lady and no problem. S&W like others has an agreement with them. Now if I could just get it back cause I live out in the sticks and S&W wont allow hold for PU. Fedex is supposed to contact me when they are on their way and I can meet them out at the gate. We shall see...

#22 ·
I JUST WENT THRU THIS, THATS THIER POLICY, HOWEVER THE LAWS STATED THAT A PRIVATE PARTY CAN SHIP TO A REPAIR OR FACTORY AND THEY CAN RETURN IT TO YOU WITHOUT A FFL AS LONG AS THE SERIAL NUMBER ISNT CHANGED, BUT ARMSCOR WIL NOT DO THAT, I LEFT A VERY BAD REVIEW. MY GUN WAS REPAIRED AND RETURNED TO MY FFL, IS WAS FIXED AND SHOOTS GREAT, BUT IT STILL A PAIN TO DEAL WITH THEM.

#24 ·
ATF and some states seem to be making up rules as they go along. In PA, if you have an FFL ship a firearm back for warranty work, when it comes back, you will need another PA State Police "PICS" background check, which has a $5.00 fee. Same thing if you put a firearm on consignment at a dealer.

#26 ·
This whole situation of only FFL to FFL is the shippers doing, not federal regulations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.