1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Thanks for sharing Tracer. I wish you the best with your condition. Dad suffered from Parkinson's.

It is stories like these that should make all healthy souls never whine about other circumstances.

Jim

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Would just like to echo Ricky T & Harley/Kimber's thoughts ~ Thanks for sharing that TracerBullet, you stay strong too Brother, keep fighting and resist the urge to allow something that occurred outside of your control to influence the spirit of who you are.

It's difficult to select some of AC's quotes/words of wisdom to add to this thread, because every post he made had some degree of substance and value. This short reply to an earlier thread in which I posted one of my modified pistol pictures, had a very profound impact on me. Not because AC necessarily liked the photoshop job I did on the pistol, but rather the fact that he acknowledged that it lifted his spirits. That assured me that AC was reading our comments in the WC & General subforums, and that he was genuinely extracting inspiration from our collective comments of support.

I had no idea that image had even been manipulated. You did some great work there, and yes ... photos of well-executed Colts (especially Commanders) always lift my spirits. ;)AC
As we get older, we occasionally contemplate how we might deal with our own final adversities. We'd probably, or hopefully think that we'd do so with dignity, but in reality, we really don't know how we'll respond - because we've yet to be tested. However, this I do know; if we've paid attention to AC's battle, and we do our best to emulate Chuck's example, then at least we'll be closer to the mark than we otherwise would've been.

RIP AC & Thanks for having been here Brother​

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Nice posts US1911 & Tracer. And thanks for the details about the service Ricky.

A few more quotes from the stockpile:

The Tactical Elite

Limited personal experience with the Tactical Elite, but I've never felt a smoother-cycling or softer-recoiling 5" 1911. The differences are subtle, but definitely present. For me, it represents the top of the line for a gun that will actually be shot, and not merely fondled.

AC

Wilson vs Nighthawk

Wilson's is going to charge you more, make you wait longer, and make your head spin with a wider pallete of options, but in the end, that works to the consumer's advantage if he knows what he wants. Based upon what I see around here all-too-often, that simply isn't the case, and the would-be buyer is just trying to join a particular club. That is a very expensive and foolish approach to the 1911 game, though I suppose it is unavoidable to a certain extent. We deal with it even on the Wilson Combat board, as guys spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to figure out which option boxes to check when ordering a new gun, and then make 3-4 calls to Berryville thereafter (while they are waiting in the queue) to make changes based upon what everybody else is doing. Very few shooters truly seem to know what they want and why, irrespective of the latest trends, and it's all a bit laughable when you get right down to it -- too much of a good thing, perhaps.

The Dan Wesson board is going to tell you that Wilson's are very nice guns, but likely a bit over-priced, and they are happy with their Dan Wessons.

The Wilson Combat board is going to tell you that Dan Wessons are very nice guns, but they are sold on Wilson's approach to quality, customization and customer service, so it is money well-spent.

You can ask the question 10,000 times, but this is where the responses are going to take you pretty much every time. Go look at the guns. Find people that own the guns. Shoot them. Examine them closely. Then make your decision. If you're waiting to be persuaded one way or the other, you're just going to bounce around all over the place, based upon who's made the latest "good point" or managed to state their case most effectively, but we're talking about shooting tools here. At the end of the day, pick the tool that suits you best, and don't worry about what everyone else is saying or doing.

AC

The cost of a Supergrade

Personally, if I were shopping in SuperGrade territory price-wise, I would be having Harrison or Yost build me something truly special. I realize the Wilson SGs are exceptionally fine firearms, but I still struggle with the asking price; especially since the SuperGrade is still effectively a "pattern" gun in the eyes of most who are truly serious about such things.. Yes, you can certainly customize it (within some well-established perimeters), but the end result still falls short of what I would consider a true custom gun (i.e. base gun of choice, parts of choice, no limits on machine work, total optimization for one's own ergos and shooting style).

That's why I maintain that the sweet spot in Wilson's lineup is still in the CQB/CBQ Elite range, or if you're a big spender, perhaps that would include the Tactical Elite. Above this, you're a Wilson fan paying for something that commands the respect of other Wilson fans. There is nothing wrong with that, of course; it simply puts you in a particular "camp."

AC

Magazines

The ETM is far and away the best option in my view, even though I still prefer the 47D.

47Ds work and work well. There are a couple of things to watch out for, and they play the 8+1 game better in some guns than in others, but I've never had a problem.

ETMs bring all of the same cards to the table, but with a few added improvements; most notably a slightly longer body length (about 1/8") that eliminates whatever issues you might have had (potentially) with the 47Ds. I think it can be fairly-said that the ETM represents the current "state-of-the-art" offering.

Both represent what I would call "best in class" feeding devices for any 1911. I don't use anything else, despite having played with CMCs, Tripps and the rest with satisfactory results.

AC

HK 45 vs 1911

The HK 45 presents the logical cognitive choice.
The 1911 is the one you want deep in your soul.

AC

On his own advise

I know these things because I have jacked them up before. All of them.

AC

·
Super Moderator
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
173 Posts
This one was one of his responses about waiting times that I found rather poignant:

In other words, spend some time dancing with the girl that you brought with you, rather than constantly watching to see who might be hovering over by the punch bowl. If you can't learn to find any immediate satisfaction with the Wilson gun that you "couldn't possibly live without" last year, how is the arrival of the next one really gong to change the equation any?

The questions are rhetorical, of course, but this business about waiting being difficult comes up fairly often around here, and I think guys forget that it really has a lot less to do with the guns than it has to do with human nature itself. I'm pleased that so many of you have other orders in the queue to look forward to, but I'll bet you're also overlooking some cool opportunities to spend some quality time enjoying one or two fine pistols that you've already got sitting not so very far away from where you're sitting right now.

Perspective.
This is good. I think I will read it to my kids today.

·
Registered
62 Posts
AC's Polling Advice on M4C

The other obvious problem with many polls is that they contain enough innate bias or intentional weighting as to be completely useless in any real search for the truth. For example ...

Option 1 - My parents are well-aware of my homosexuality.
Option 2 - My parents are not aware of my homosexuality.
Option 3 - I choose not to openly discuss my homosexuality.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ACs "Crush Your Balls" Speech

Gentlemen,

I suspect that more than few of us went to Sunday School as boys, and as such, we should be reasonably familiar with the principle of treating others as you would have them treat you. Even if you never stepped foot in Sunday School, the truths here are pretty self-evident.

We're having a problem around here lately. It's not the spiraling downfall in post quality. It's not the influx of new members who don't yet seem to understand what we're all about. It's not the general rise in white noise. It's not the resurgence in tin-foil hat conspiracy posts. It's not the fellows that have been posting increasingly goofy rifles in the home build section. It's not even the emergence of guys who happen to have particularly strong opinions about the current administration or the latest push for gun control legislation in whatever form.

The problem we're having lies with the otherwise peaceable folks who seem to think that their fellow members no longer deserve a measure of basic respect if/when the opinions of said members diverge from their own dearly-held beliefs (on whatever the topic). We've been very clear on the fact that bitter debates, personal attacks, name calling and baiting will not be tolerated, but apparently the message has grown stale with age. Kindly allow me to freshen it up slightly in the interest of maintaining the peace around here.

If you disagree with a point another member has made, you may freely engage his facts or issues and make your points. If you belittle him as an individual in the process, or otherwise imply that he is intellectually-deficient in some way, we will crush your balls.

If you call another member a name in a manner that is in any way interpreted as hostile or sarcastic (because sarcasm is a huge accelerant -- if not the most volatile of them all), your balls will be summarily-crushed.

If you get into a heated debate with another member that even slightly resembles an open argument (or is laced with the aforementioned sarcasm), go ahead and slap 'em up on the table, because we're going to crush them.

If you direct profanity at another member with even mild ill intent, kindly drop trou. Your balls? Yeah, we're crushing them.

If you happen to think that your position(s) and/or belief(s) on a matter are so sacred as to create immediate offense if/when you encounter someone who might feel differently, do not respond to them. If you do, you will almost surely project an air of ire and intolerance. At that point, you may consider your balls as good as crushed.

I could go on, but I believe the point has been gently made. The staff has been instructed to be on watch for this kind of behavior, and to root it out without a lot of discussion; especially in the near-term. If you happen to wade into those waters anyway, and you happen to have balls ... well, you know the rest. Please take it like a man, and avoid the grousing and protests.

Clear, brothers? Let's make an active effort to "be at peace with all men," and put away any personal gripes we may have against another member. If that approach leads you to take one on the chin when you did nothing to deserve it, let us know and we will take whatever action is necessary to restore tranquilly. Hint: your tormenter's balls, and the crushing thereof, will almost certainly be involved.

This is a professional resource: let us have no more of this sixth-grade crap.

Please and thank you.

AC

·
Super Moderator
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
803 Posts
Makes any vet want to cry.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Chuck's response in a pm to me when he was helping me with some decisions back in 2012 and asked me what the wife prefers to shoot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
Woman says she likes 1911's in 45 …

Keep her. For the rest of your days. =]

·
Super Moderator
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

An m4carbine forum member visited Chuck today.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Thanks Ricky. No words.

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
Thanks for sharing Ricky. "Great is thy faithfulness" fits AC as well as anyone I can imagine.

·
Super Moderator
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I also posted this picture in the General Discussion thread.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Thanks for posting, RickyT. God bless AC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When my time comes, I hope I have the courage, wisdom and carrying for others as displayed by this gentleman. I did not know him and I feel poorer for it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Read through the thread. What a brave guy. Sad I missed him. Seemed to have a lot of practical, almost fatherly advice guys need to hear.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.