1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are AR style rifles really worth the money? I was out and about looking at them this weekend. It seems that you can get into a low-end BushMaster or Armalite for around $800. I've seen some really nice AK's for $300-$400 less.
Granted, The AR's are inherently more accuarte, and you can do a lot of customizing to them but, are the really worth the extra money?
The next question is, is the 5.56 a better round than the 7.62x39?
You comments are apreciatted.

Steve

------------------
"Not having thought what should have been thought, not having said what should have been said, not doing what should have been done, I beg thee forgive me, O Father." paraphrase from the 13th Warrior

·
Registered
953 Posts
Itd all in preference. I prefer the AR. I have a 16 inch bushmaster, and it is a tackdriver. I'm good with it out to the full 300 yds of my local range and soon will be trying it out on the local 500 yard range. That alone justifies the $800 that I spent on it. By the way it has yet to malufunction with quality mags (stay away from USA mags), and it shoots wolf ammo just as well as SOME of the match stuff. 7.62 is cheaper but that may not always be the case. I believe that the 5.56 is a good cartridge for what it is meant to do, as long as it is kept within its reasonable limits.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by SteveW:
Are AR style rifles really worth the money? I was out and about looking at them this weekend. It seems that you can get into a low-end BushMaster or Armalite for around $800. I've seen some really nice AK's for $300-$400 less.
Granted, The AR's are inherently more accuarte, and you can do a lot of customizing to them but, are the really worth the extra money?
The next question is, is the 5.56 a better round than the 7.62x39?
You comments are apreciatted.

Steve

I look at AR's & AK's kinda like Glock's and 1911's.

The AK is a good combat Battle Rifle that will shoot about anything you can feed it. The receivers will take a lot of abuse. They aren't going to shoot sub-moa, but then, they weren't meant to.

The AR is a very versatile, modular weapon. It can be deployed for many different missions, Long Range Match, Counter Sniper, Close Quarters, pretty much, anything imaginable... Switching uppers is easy, and provides much more versatility. There's even some large caliber options available that would make it a good option for LARGE game.

The .223 is fine for the intended mission, although a 30 caliber round would be nice for certain purposes. The various loadings within the 5.56 profile provide flexibilty as well...

In general, yes, I believe that for the money, they are hard to beat. I don't feel that hanging every gadget imaginable off it is the best thing, might look cool, but I wouldn't do that to any of mine... I do maintain a MOA capable short barreled carbine, and a Sub-MOA long barreled rifle though, and while the missions can overlap, I deploy mine for unique purposes, and within those, they tend to excel. It is not a substitute for a good Bolt Action magnum though.

Mainly, I never had a reason to own one after I got out of the Military, until the PRK said I wouldn't be able to, so I suppose, that's why I have them now. I'll probably have to go out and but a Barrett pretty soon, since 50 caliber "Sniper Rifles" will probably be going away before long

I wish I had seen a need for "Sport Utility" weapons sooner, I'd probably have a couple HK's, but the AR's work out fine for me...

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by jaydee (edited 08-12-2001).]

·
Registered
22,176 Posts
I have no doubt that the AK is the most rugged infantry rifle ever built to be simply operated and maintained (or neglected) by drafted potato farmers. The AR is a far better shooter. I have seen numerous IPSC and IDPA rifle side matches in which the AKs come in after the ARs; also after the Minis and M1 carbines. A Garand or a peep-sighted .30-30 does better while the ammo lasts. If you want a tough rifle that will put the rounds on target, look for an FN. That's what I would want if I were starting over, but I have a good AR outfit that does me very well.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
HERE WE GO AGAIN

Well my opinion is take the AK. Unless you plan on doing long distance shooting. If not then the AK will do everything you need it to do (plus save you $500)

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well, I guess the best answer for this question is to own both. That's the conclusion I came to. I have a Bulgarian AK and a 16" DPMS AR. Both seem to function good and shoot good. I find that the AR is a little bit more finicky. I have had jamming problems when the AR gets very dirty. The AK shoots no matter what. There is no stopping it.
Your results may vary.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Its kind of like asking what kind of screwdriver do you like? Phillips or flat?, it depends on use and cicumstances, but I prefer the low recoil, highly adaptable, long range shooting AR. There are a couple AKs out there that I would not own(or spend my money on any way)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agree. It's best to own both. It's like comparing apples to oranges. If I could do it over again, I'd probably go with a quality FAL carbine.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Reddevil said:
I agree. It's best to own both. It's like comparing apples to oranges. If I could do it over again, I'd probably go with a quality FAL carbine.
I have a FAL too! I guess The correct answer is to own all three :D My FAL is an excellent rifle. I think the Ak is probably the most fun to shoot. My AR is fun but, it has a Miculik compensator on it. That compensator makes it REALLY LOUD! I wouldn't buy another one with a comp. The .223 certainly doesn't need it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jim Watson said:
I have seen numerous IPSC and IDPA rifle side matches in which the AKs come in after the ARs; also after the Minis and M1 carbines.
We have a monthly carbine match here where I am usually the only one not shooting an AR, and my VEPR AK does quite well, usually better than 2/3 of the people shooting.

I had bought an AR180B for these matches, just because it was lighter. But I shoot the AK better, so I went back to it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
While I own variants of both AR's and AK's, I generally find myself picking up one of my AK's when I go to the range. This may sound odd, but I like the ergonomics of the AK better than my M4. I also tend to agree with Jeff Cooper on the subject of the .223....he doesn't like it. Even if I had a AR chambered in 7.62x39, I'd still take my AK. Cheaper, more reliable, easier to clean and maintain. Both platforms have pros and cons for sure, but for me it's the AK. For the folks who say that the AK is not as accurate as the AR, I would agree with that on the whole. However, if shooting at 100 yards or less, I have a AK that will hold it's on with my M4 for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
RedRocket said:
We have a monthly carbine match here where I am usually the only one not shooting an AR, and my VEPR AK does quite well, usually better than 2/3 of the people shooting.

I had bought an AR180B for these matches, just because it was lighter. But I shoot the AK better, so I went back to it.
Right on, RedRocket. I use my VEPR K (.223) in 3 gun matches quite a bit, too. It's always fun to get the hoots and hollers when you show up with it, and listen to how quiet they all got when you leave :p

Sure, it might not keep up with some of those fancy target guns past 200 yards, but from 100 to 150, no worries :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
The AR usually wins the can-only-have-one-rifle argument, mainly because of its versatility. It is the most versatile rifle ever made, IMO.

However, if a load of crazy armed bikers were headed over to my house to kill my family, and we didn't have time to escape, I'd grab my trusty AKS-762. For man-stopping at short/medium range, it's difficult to beat the AK in reliability, ergonomics, or ammunition.

Either way, I'd get a proven platform for either. While there are many options, I prefer the Colt M4 and the Polytech AKS-762 (or Legend).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts