1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....on SA's mil-spec 1911s by Roy Huntington where he stated that the new chief of police in San Diego was looking hard at 1: .40 S&W and .45 ACP as duty rounds v. the current 9 m/m and 2: was considering going/allowing the use of the 1911. BTW, he liked the mil-spec and thought it would work well in a cop's holster.

Ah yes, POLICE MAGAZINE, used to be POLICE PRODUCT NEWS with "Do You Have Court Today" calendars, cartoons and humorous articles and stories.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Would be funny if SA Mil Spec 1911s were adopted by a major department or agency. They are nearly identical to USGI 1911s. Flared ejection ports and bigger sights with slight differences on some of the small parts is all. Functionally and ergonomically nearly identical.

·
Banned
36 Posts
The police chief there has recently approved 1911's for duty carry. But they will not be issued. Jeremy at California Police Distributors has been selling a few 1911's to the guys.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Very foward thinking Chief! Unfortunately the city attorney will probably point out to him that he needs a firing pin safety.

·
Registered
125 Posts
col132 said:
Very foward thinking Chief! Unfortunately the city attorney will probably point out to him that he needs a firing pin safety.
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't kimber's series II system provide a firing pin safety?

Wes

·
Registered
29 Posts
Alot of guys in my agency poke fun of me for carrying a 1911, because I can't carry 15 rounds in a magazine. I pretty much just tell them that I only need one and alot of blood flows through a half inch hole. Most of them carry user friendly Gl***s.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
1911 for duty

1911s for duty...I'm green with envy. Sort of a Parkerized green, as a matter of fact.
Maybe someday all the powers that be can understand how a gun with a couple of manual safety devices is safer than a gun with a SAFETY on a trigger that has to be pulled for disassembly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: 1911 for duty

Jhp147 said:
1911s for duty...I'm green with envy. Sort of a Parkerized green, as a matter of fact.
Maybe someday all the powers that be can understand how a gun with a couple of manual safety devices is safer than a gun with a SAFETY on a trigger that has to be pulled for disassembly.
I've carried both for duty.....both have advantages and dis-advantages. I love my 1911, carried one for 10 years, but do think a G-35 is a better over all duty weapon. 5 years ago I would have never and I mean never of said that.

I will admit I now carry a G-35 because it's the same size as a 1911. As far as the safety things go, Safety's should be in our head.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Apparently SD's new Chief is very forward-thinking on a lot of issues. He came from somewhere in Texas (if I recall correctly) where he carried a Glock. I heard that when he went to qualify for the first time in San Diego the range master politely told him that Glocks were not an authorized duty pistol. He said "we'll be changing that soon ......." I'm glad he sees the light with the 1911.

·
Registered
259 Posts
REALLY?

col132 said:
No offense intended, but I struggle with the whole 'firing pin safety' concept and the need for such a device.
Garry

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

I will admit I now carry a G-35 because it's the same size as a 1911. As far as the safety things go, Safety's should be in our head.
Tim R, you will not find me disagreeing with you as far as gunhandling. I think a revolver is perfectly "safe," and carried one for 8-9 or so years. What I was talking about is some administrator's view that the 1911 is "unsafe" (MY GOD, THAT GUN IS COCKED, OFFICER!!!!) while a gun that has no grip or manual safety and is striker fired is "safe," like the Glock. This seems to be the reason admin types shy away from 1911s, but I understand admin types are not as a general rule too interested in firearms, have had NO education or training with/about the 1911 system, and therefore don't see the fault of the logic.
And no, 1911s aren't for everybody and if you like them, you cannot beat a Glock for a duty gun (you have no idea how hard it was for me to type that....:D ).
But I want to watch this trend of using the 1911. Maybe by the time I retire in 10-12 years...........

·
Registered
62 Posts
ontarget said:
Apparently SD's new Chief is very forward-thinking on a lot of issues. He came from somewhere in Texas (if I recall correctly) where he carried a Glock. I heard that when he went to qualify for the first time in San Diego the range master politely told him that Glocks were not an authorized duty pistol. He said "we'll be changing that soon ......." I'm glad he sees the light with the 1911.
He was the former San Jose Police Chief... and the story was with a cocked & locked 1911.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Well, 1911s without firing pin safeties usually have a lightweight firing pin to help against ADs. The Springfield Professional model is so equipped and was heavily tested by the FBI in regards to accidental discharges when dropping, kicked, etc. An "old school" 1911 with no firing pin safety (and without a titanium firing pin) would be more susceptible to an AD if dropped in a certain manner. That being said, I find it ironic that modern police agencies consider the Glock safer than the 1911, even though the Glock has only three safeties (all passive). Agreed, though, the best protection is just good training. (See that "scary police video" thread.)

Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts