1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting my first 1911 styled pistol in a long time would the field efs modle be a good beginng or should I wait and put an extra $250 with and go for a Colt gov. modle. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Clay

·
Registered
523 Posts
I love my CD. It's been good to me. My recommendation is to get a CD and spend the extra $250 on ammo

·
Registered
249 Posts
my observation is that any/all the 1911's can have problems (colt, kimber, springfield, etc.) the newer daly's (beginning with the cd serial #'s) are just as good as about any of them, and a lot less expensive (notice i didn't say cheap). you will likely want to put in a ed brown extractor, fp, fp stop and wolff recoil and fp springs. all of this is less than $35. and the gun will likely be as reliable and as good a shooter as just about any 1911 out there. look at the different forum's; all brands of them can have problems. mcole

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'll go along with Gryphon, spend the exrta on some ammo or maybe a holster. My Chuck has been great. It only needed to have it's extractor tuned, then it was good to go, and keep in mind the Enhanced are better!

------------------
Three Blocks Long and Two Lanes Wide...

[This message has been edited by Buickguy (edited 11-08-2001).]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Absulutely 0 probs so far with my fullsized EFS model . I dont like the trigger design or the ambi safety design but they are easily changed out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've owned an EFS for a few months now. Had some minor problems at first (magazine related and extractor). Got quality mags, replaced extractor with an Ed Brown Hardcore and haven't had a malfunction or FTF since. I've been replacing several other parts as well, mainly out of personal preference more than necessity. The CD's are good guns priced affordably.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I think the EFS is worth the attempt.

So far no one has reported any serious problems with this model, and all appear to be as, or more accurate than the competition.

I would put the upgrade parts list more around the $100 mark(not counting mags), but for range use there's no need to spend a dime.

I think I'm the only one here who actually likes the factory mags. I've been steadily using the 2 that came with my FS as well as the 2 that came with my EFS. No problems at all.

The only mags I ever have any problems with are Wilsons, and that's with their .38 Super mags. I can't get even a years use out of the followers on 10 different magazines without them cracking. They keep sending me free replacements though...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've owned an EFS for a couple of months now and the only time I've had problems, they were either ammo (crappy reloads), mag (one of the factory mags has a weak spring) or user (me!) related.

The latter problem occurred when I filed too much off my extractor in the quest to get better tension and "fix" something that wasn't broken. Turned my CD temporarily into a jammatic which for the first time had FTE's and more FTFs. After replacing the extractor with a new bone stock one running factory loads through it ran smoothly again.

I'll be using the money I saved to buy more mags, a holster/pouches etc. For the price, I'm happy I got the CD instead of a Llama or a Norinco. Not sure about a Colt though since its too high for my budget but I guess if I had the money I'd buy a Colt as well (and still keep the CD!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts